USN .38 Special rounds pouch.

Guy

Hello again,

I own these two Navy pouches for .38 special revolver rounds.

They were used by WW2 USN pilots who were equipped with Colt "Commando" and Smith & Wesson "Victory" (Military and Police) revolvers.

They are almost identical little difference in colour tone but basically Khaki.

Both marked PROPERTY U.S. NAVY under the flap.

One of them shows also a K2125 stamping well evident in the pic.

Both are fitted with UNITED CARR snaps.

I have two question for you dear mates:

who made these pouches ? What does K2125 mean?

As they don't show any maker marking is it possible the Navy had an own military manifacture were these pouches were produced maybe with all webbing used aboard?

Thank you,

Guy

post-8850-1261604515.jpg

post-8850-1261604529.jpg

One of them shows also a K2125

That is the initial of the last name and the last four of the service number of the individual they were issued to. Common on issue equipment through to post Vietnam.

Charlie Flick

Guy:

I have never been able to detect just who made those pouches, but I am pretty certain that they were not made in-house by the US Navy. I have seen many examples of the pouch over the years and have never seen one that was marked with a manufacturer's name.

They are rather clumsy in use and I do not think that they were very popular. Period photos of this pouch in use are very scarce.

By July, 1945 the USN Bureau of Ordnance did not even list it as an accessory to the .38 Special Revolver (the Victory Model) and instead identified the First Aid Kit pouch as a suitable ammunition carrier. I agree with Danny's interpretation of the meaning of the marking on the pouch mentioned above.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

They are rather clumsy in use and I do not think that they were very popular. Period photos of this pouch in use are very scarce.

The way they are designed makes it seem possible the bullets could all fall out when you opened the pouch. Here's one that someonr modified to prevent that: the lower flap was sewn in the UP position:

navpouch3.jpg