Different uses for ranks

Lucky 7th Armored

Lucky 7th Armored

Okay so i was wondering what the different uses were for the different variations of the rank.

Ill post pictures to help you to try and understand what im saying.

For this variation of the rank, is it only used on dress uniforms? or could it be used on field jackets, ect.?

post-5136-1261596048.jpg

Lucky 7th Armored

And for this one, was this the field use one? or could it be used on anything? Sorry for the noob questions, i'm trying to recreate my grandpa's uniform.

post-5136-1261596167.jpg

Captainofthe7th

The wool on wool chevrons are the earliest type, used on all wool uniforms (m37 and m41 wool shirts, Class A 4 pockets and Ikes) and occasionally on field jackets, M41 and M43. You'll also see them on overcoats.

The embroidered on wool chevrons (M1942) (you have not shown them here) were used in the same fashion as wool on wool.

The silver/white rayon on dk blue twill (also M1942) was intended to be a universal chevron, used on wools, Class As, HBTs, and could also be used on khakis, though I think this is unusual.

The similar embroidered tan/green on tan twill were used on khaki's and I have also seen them used sparingly on M41 jackets.

GIs would use whatever they were issued or bought with whatever matched. When you go through photographs, pay attention to the stripes, and you will notice the variations and where they were used. Basically, they were all fairly universal except the khaki chevrons and khaki shirts...these are really the only two that are a pair, and you don't usually see the khaki chevrons on anything but a khaki shirt...likewise, you don't see any other types of chevrons on the khaki shirts.

Hope that helps.

Rob

During WWII I don't think it mattered which type of chevrons were used, so long as it was the correct rank. I have seen all the different types of chevrons on all different types of uniforms, dress and field. I have even seen different types used at the same time, a soldier's shirt might have the woven type while his jacket and over coat might have the wool type. I think, supply availability determined which type of chevron you used. Whatever type the supply sergeant handed you, were the ones that you used.

Dennis

The silver/white rayon on dk blue twill (also M1942) was intended to be a universal chevron, used on wools, Class As, HBTs, and could also be used on khakis, though I think this is unusual.

and you don't usually see the khaki chevrons on anything but a khaki shirt...likewise, you don't see any other types of chevrons on the khaki shirts.

Rob

These were quite common on khaki shirts, especially in the PTO. The silver/white on dark blue woven or embroidered type were considered a universal type chevron and were worn on just about any enlisted uniform garmet during the war years. Many, many photographs taken during the war years will verify this.