WWII Navy Seabee Jumper

ww2vault

Hi,

When I first purchased this jumper set off of Ebay from the seller, they listed it as a WWII Navy uniform named to R. P. Satzer and that was it. Well naturally I was the only one to bid on it and the auction closed out at $10. I thought $10 for a named Navy Jumper wasn't bad.

Well, when the uniform arrived in the mail, I took it out and started brushing them off to remove any lint/small debris when I noticed on the left shoulder that there was stitching which formed a circle. I suddenly realized that the seller had the jumper inside out and they never knew it. I was quite happy to find a Seabee SSI and also a small CB patch on the lower left sleeve. :w00t:

I am quite happy now that I have a named jumper to a Mr. Satzer who served in the Seabees. I asked the seller if they could tell me anything they knew about the uniform and they said it came from the wife's estate in Frostburg, Maryland. They said that Mr. Satzer passed away in the '70s. Thats about all I know at this point and I would like to at least know his first name. :ermm:

- Jeff

post-1090-1261594324.jpg

Vault

Nice score.

Very common to fing the uniforms turned inside out.Over the years I have gotten several Navy sets/groups where the jumper and the pants were inside out.Also rolled and tied with cord.This was how they were packed and stored by the sailors

RD

Thank you very much for the kind compliments and to you FS, for finding those two articles! :thumbsup:

I also forgot to ask a question in my original post. There is a white band around the right shoulder and I wasn't quite sure what it meant. Does it have something to do with his rank? You will have to excuse me, i'm more of an AAF guy. ;)

P.S. (I can post a better photo of the white band if needed/desired.)

- Jeff

There is a white band around the right shoulder and I wasn't quite sure what it meant. Does it have something to do with his rank?

That means he had a rating in the seaman's branch and, as noted elsewhere "During WWII these rates included Boatswains Mate, Turret Captain, Signalman, Gunners Mate, Fire Controlman, Quartermaster, Mineman, and Torpedomans Mate."

Thanks to the two articles FS found, I believe I have found their old address in MD.

Roy and Bette Satzer

340 Allegany St

Frostburg, MD 21532

I would like to send off to NARA to see if they have his records. Since they said he passed away, I tried searching the SSDI to try and find his Social Security number, but no luck. I also don't know his Navy serial number. Those are two very good identifiers for NARA's 180 form. Is it still possible to send in a request without either of those?

- Jeff

Thank you very much for the kind compliments and to you FS, for finding those two articles! :thumbsup:

I also forgot to ask a question in my original post. There is a white band around the right shoulder and I wasn't quite sure what it meant. Does it have something to do with his rank? You will have to excuse me, i'm more of an AAF guy. ;)

P.S. (I can post a better photo of the white band if needed/desired.)

- Jeff

Your jumper is that of a Seaman Second Class. (This is not to be confused with a Petty Officer Second Class which is the equivelent to a sargent). This equates to an E-2 in the modern military. The two stripes on the cuffs indicate he was second class, and the white tape around his right shoulder indicate Seaman. He was not designated with any rate(job/mos). If he had been there would be some sort of "Striker Mark" on his sleeve some where depending on what it was. And as has been mentioned, Sailors stored their uniforms inside out. Their blue and white trousers would not have had creases down the front and the creases in the jumpers would go in.

Steve Hesson