Cleaning & Preserving a Canteen Cover?

ClaptonIsGod

Hello all,

I recently got this very salty canteen cover. I am wondering what to do in the means of cleaning it, and I have learned you definitely do not want to wash it in the washer. It has a laundry number on the bottom, and a partial maker's mark on the back. I probably will have to leave the snaps as is, but is there any way to uncover the laundry number and maker's mark and keep it clear?

Edit: I can see that it is 0348, I am just curious if it is possible to make it clearer. The cover kind of feels dried out in that it isn't very pliable.

post-4251-1261543695.jpg

Misanthropic_Gods

I would say try a little bit of water and a tiny bit or soap on a synthetic bristle brush (like a toothbrush or a USGI weapon cleaning brush) and see if it would take the dirt out...then if it is adequate, try it on a small corner of the numbers and see if it would damage them at all. Just dont go all nutbar and start really putting your back into it with that brush!

I had alot of luck cleaning really salty gear by letting it soak completely submerged in warm water and laundry soap. I let it soak for about an hour and the water will be dark brown or black. I change the water and then use a soft bristle brush and go over it as needed and let it soak again. Then I thoroughly rinse it and blow it off with an air compressor.

And a note to your cover, you'll find it is a Baker-Lockwood Co, 1941. I have one that looked pretty much like that and it turned out really nice after a cleaning like I described.

1941ccover1.jpg

1941ccover2.jpg

1941ccover3.jpg

Kyle

Great, thanks! Can't wait to clean it up when I have some free time. Will post when done.

Oh, and Kyle, at least yours had the snaps intact! :lol: I'm assuming that's verdigris on the snaps and I'll scrape it off with a toothpick unless told otherwise. Are these 1941 covers rare and desirable, even in the condition mine is in?

Well, I am receiving some flak that I should leave it alone, and that it might have gotten in this condition during WWII, and if I clean it it will fall apart. Obviously not, but.. I guess I'll just do it. By air compressor, do you mean like a hair drier? I think I will get the majority of dampness out and leave the rest to air dry.

This maker of canteen cover seems to be fairly common and I've only seen them dated 1941 when made by this company. Worth like $20 or so in average condition.

Personally I like to do a bit of work on my gear to keep it nice and/or make it look better. Keep in mind this is a strictly case-by-case basis on how I do it and to what extent. For your cover I would definitely clean and repair it as much as possible. In the condition its in the value is basically non-exsistent. Clean it up and bring it back to look somewhat presentable.

On my cover I removed the LTD covers and cleaned them with 0000 steel wool and 10w30. Just a light polish to remove the verdigris, the posts obviously can't be removed so I had to be a bit more careful to not get oil on the fabric. I always try to remove or stop corrosion whenever possible. I know my views might differ from other collectors but, thats how I like to do it.

When I say air compressor I mean an actual air compressor out in my garage that I run automotive air tools on. I first sop up as much water with paper towel as i can then blow it out. This insures that there won't be any water marks/staining. Also I have blown out most of the webgear I own. Normally when I first get a piece thats the first thing I do. It really makes a difference because of all the dust and debris that gets removed.

Kyle

Somebody here said they use Woolite, sounds like it would be gentle enough.

While I'm a believer in don't mess with it unless it's necessary, some of the crap on old gear is harmful in the long run, it's not ALWAYS good to leave it.

This maker of canteen cover seems to be fairly common and I've only seen them dated 1941 when made by this company. Worth like $20 or so in average condition.

Personally I like to do a bit of work on my gear to keep it nice and/or make it look better. Keep in mind this is a strictly case-by-case basis on how I do it and to what extent. For your cover I would definitely clean and repair it as much as possible. In the condition its in the value is basically non-exsistent. Clean it up and bring it back to look somewhat presentable.

On my cover I removed the LTD covers and cleaned them with 0000 steel wool and 10w30. Just a light polish to remove the verdigris, the posts obviously can't be removed so I had to be a bit more careful to not get oil on the fabric. I always try to remove or stop corrosion whenever possible. I know my views might differ from other collectors but, thats how I like to do it.

When I say air compressor I mean an actual air compressor out in my garage that I run automotive air tools on. I first sop up as much water with paper towel as i can then blow it out. This insures that there won't be any water marks/staining. Also I have blown out most of the webgear I own. Normally when I first get a piece thats the first thing I do. It really makes a difference because of all the dust and debris that gets removed.

Kyle

If I don't have access to an air compressor, will a hairdryer work? Or should I get one of those keyboard cleaning compressed air canisters from Staples and use that?

Well, I'm not sure. The air compressor really puts out high pressure and removes alot of water. you definitely want to stay away from heat as a means of drying because the cover will shrink like crazy. Just try and sop up as much of the water with paper towel as u can, really press hard and try to get as much out as you can. Then let it hang from a bent up coat hanger to air dry for a day or two.

kyle

I airdry all my webgear. Keep in mind, these are 60 years old and have already seen rain, mud, overfills, and washings already. Shrinkage is minor and can be prevented the way it was then. Just put the canteen and cup in it while it dries. I soak mine for a few days too depending o how bad they are. I also use a soft brush to lightly scrub bad spots(if any) and avoid markings other than a light once over. Winter works good because you can freeze dry things if it's cold enough.

Fins...

Sgt Saunders

Try using Woolite in warm watter and wash squeezing by hand. It's safe enough for silk and all the wifes frilly things and it will not fade the markings. Trust me on this. :wink2:

You can dry it buy wraping it up in a towel and squeezing the water out. Then let it air day for a day.