Harold L. Eibest, 10th Armored Division

duarte1223

I got this grouping from a friend of mine a while ago. It's named to Harold L. Eibest of the 10th Armored Division. I'll let the pictures do the explaining, and if you have any questions, just let me know! thumbsup.gif

Adam

post-101-1181597907.jpg

I think this was one of those cases where everyone who was eligible to get the Bronze Star (which was everyone who earned a CIB) didn't get it right away, or the certificate is a replacement. The certificate is for service in WW2, and the BS is WW2 vintage and has his name engraved in the back.

Who knows though, theres so many possibilities.

Adam

I just love the helmet!

Do you have additional photos of it?

Nice wool patch too.

You have more information on the soldier?

Thanks.

Erwin

I just love the helmet!

Do you have additional photos of it?

Nice wool patch too.

You have more information on the soldier?

Thanks.

Erwin

Erwin, I'll get some more pictures tonight.

I have Eibest's discharge papers, I'll post some information when I put the pictures on.

Adam

Here are some additional pictures.

Eibest was drafted on Jan. 19, 1942. He was sent to Africa in March of 1944 and served 1 year, 6 months overseas, and participated in an invasion. He was an Infantry Canon Crewman Platoon Sgt, according to his discharge papers.

Adam

post-101-1181762141.jpg

Guest Photographer

Wonder how long he was in for? The date on the BS cert is late. Really nice grouping. LOVE the helmet.

This puzzles me though ..... the 10th Armored was never in Africa.

Activated on July 15, 1942, at Fort Benning, Georgia.

The 10th Armored entered France through Cherbourg on September 23, 1944, and traininged at Teurtheville, France, before entering combat.

Went through Moselle and Saar Campaigns, part of it was encircled with 101st AB in Bastogne and entered Germany in March 1945.

Inactivated on 13 October 1945, at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia.

So he probably was first assigned to another unit that saw action in Africa before being transferred to 10th AD?

Or he served with that unit and went home with 10th AD?

That would explain the arrowhead on his ribbon too as 10th AD did not participate in an invasion.

Erwin

Eibest was drafted on Jan. 19, 1942. He was sent to Africa in March of 1944 and served 1 year, 6 months overseas, and participated in an invasion. He was an Infantry Canon Crewman Platoon Sgt, according to his discharge papers.

Adam

You're probably right Erwin. All I have to go on about his service is what I physically have, ie. his medals, and the discharge documents. I've had an NARA request pending for about 4 months now, which isn't unusual. I'll update everything when I get that.

Thanks,

Adam