Interesting Field Desk

GI_JIVE

This is a recent Craiglist find. Not bad for $40. It appears to be the Company size field desk, but it has some differences from most that I see. Anyone have an idea of the Era? It has wire type handles as seen in some post WW2 stuff, but it has a more primitive lock mechanism. It also does not have the fiber covering as seen on field desks of WW2 and early "Officers style" footlockers, thus leaving the plywood exposed. Any suggestions? Pre-war? WW1?

Thanks

CIMG0007.jpg

CIMG0006.jpg

Stylistically it looks like a US field desk, but I am inclined to say it is foreign judging from the lack of nameplate (I'm sure you know how fickle the QM Dept was) and different locking mechanism. I don't think I would disagree it is WWII era, judging from the inside compartments and overall construction. However, this could be a theater made desk. I'm not exactly expertly knowledgeable on these and would welcome any more comments/corrections. A great find for a display nonetheless!!

It doesn't match any of the models in my reference books. Main difference is the lock and carry handles. Hopefully somewhere out there knows. Robert

Personally, I d not think it's a field desk at all. Now granted I am no expert, but I have seen several of what I knew were field desks.

I think this is in fact U.S. / American, but I think it's probably more of a shelf or storage unit. May have been designed to go with, or intended to go with a field desk, but to be used for storage of manuals, maybe something that was used by a maintenance unit to store manuals and such, or some sorts of supplies, etc. All the field desks I have ever seen had just that as part of them - a desk - this one does not appear to have any desk assembly to it at all.

In addition, I recently picked up a medical chest which was not all that dis-similar. My medical chest is I think Korean War era probably, but it is very much like this one in this thread in that it has small places for storage, drawers that pull out, little cubbys, etc.

So... I think this IS American, I think it IS for storage, and I think it MAY have gone with field HQ set or as an item that went with a desk, but I do not think it is truly a desk.

Just my 2 cents worth!

MW

It is hard to tell with out seeing it in person but from the pictures it looks like it has had some heavy modification done. If you look about half way down the cubbies on the left side and along the bottom you see a light coloured stripe, this looks like where the original dividers were and protected the wool from dirt and oxidation. There also appears to have been a data plate on the inside of the lid (for lack of a better term). This would be an odd place to put it if this was originally a desk as that would be the writing surface. My guess would be that this was some sort of storage box that was converted into a Records Chest, probably by the military because all the components used seem to be military not stuff someone picked up at Home Depot.

Thanks for the comments so far. Just to clarify, I've looked this thing over and can find NO evidence of modification. The light colored strip on the internal left vertical side is just a discoloration of the wood. The plate on the interior side of the door is not a data/manufacturers plate. It is the backing to the lock mechanism which is recessed into the wood of the door. I'll try to post some additional pics, including a pic of the one marking on the thing. The left side has "704" penciled on it.

Thanks,

Phil

Thanks for the comments so far. Just to clarify, I've looked this thing over and can find NO evidence of modification. The light colored strip on the internal left vertical side is just a discoloration of the wood. The plate on the interior side of the door is not a data/manufacturers plate. It is the backing to the lock mechanism which is recessed into the wood of the door. I'll try to post some additional pics, including a pic of the one marking on the thing. The left side has "704" penciled on it.

Thanks,

Phil

With that matter settled, now... what the heck is it?

Here's one from this link http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p;hl=field+desk put up by dusty1, similar but not the same:

post-3976-1261593214.jpg

Here are a few more pictures:

Left Side with "704" marking. Looks earlier than most block style WW2 numbering you see.

CIMG0013.jpg

Close up of lockable drawer.

CIMG0017.jpg

Backing of lock mechanism on door:

CIMG0011.jpg

Inside construction

CIMG0012.jpg

Lock Mechanism:

CIMG0019.jpg

Labled slot "B Transport"??

CIMG0014.jpg

Thanks

While we're on the topic of desks.... This is my desk. As you can see It's missing the bottom left drawer. Does anyone have a spare they are willing to sell me? I have already checked eBay for months now and I haven't been able to locate one. Please don't tell me how easy they are to make, I haven't the time nor the talent to make one. :thumbdown:

post-8802-1261614397.jpg

post-8802-1261614406.jpg

To the gent in search of a drawer: I spotted one for sale right now on your favorite auction site. Search drawer in US WWII. Its not my sale, and I'm not bidding on it. Just passing the word. You've got about seven days to react.

Happy Christmas.

As for the curious desk posted earlier: In addition to the standard issue desk and trunks, I agree with the point made earlier that there were scores of variations and modifications made in theater - by contracting with local cabinet makers (hence the non-GI style hardware)- or at state-side camp wood shops that customized cabinetry to whatever configuration the end-user wanted. The more unique - the more charm - and thus the more desirable. IMO

Rob

Robs on the money.I saw a great field made desk from a crate at the Iloa outdoor show.It was marine marked too.Im sure Bugme saw it as well.I didnt have the room to take it home with me two tears ago and it was there again last august but sold.

RON

To the gent in search of a drawer: I spotted one for sale right now on your favorite auction site. Search drawer in US WWII. Its not my sale, and I'm not bidding on it. Just passing the word. You've got about seven days to react.

Happy Christmas.

Rob

I have found it and i have bid on it! That is the drawer I'm looking for.

Thank you

Danny :w00t: