You think we militaria collectors have it bad...

hawkdriver

Thanks for that link. It's worth looking through the photos to get an idea of the scale of that one operation.

Here's a couple of the two dozen photos shown there:

chinacoins1.jpg

chinacoins2.jpg

I used to work at an antique store. Coin collectors are ANAL!!! and thumb noses at non-coin guys, even the clerks! hated dealing with most of them. of course there were exceptions

But...

If you catch anyone importing or selling them in the USA it - IS - specififcally against the law. And the law enforcement folks will take notice. Same with stamps and political memoribilia.

Whereas if they bring in fake hitler's pants, you might be able to get your money under generic fraud laws, but probably not.

The metal in those coins looks a bit substandard... of course that could be remedied with with some silver plating. Another friend of mine sent me an article on these... it just shows anything can be repro'd.

When I was in Oman, I thought I struck the JACKPOT...an entire bucket full of old Russian, European and American coins.

Until I realized that there were hundreds of the same coins...ouch!

Boy, did they look good though. If there had only been one or two of them there, I probably would have bought them on a whim for $20 or so.

Dave

Airborne-Hunter

This has been a problem for quite a while now. To tell a fake from a real is not that hard in most cases. If a magnet attracts :thumbdown: rust :thumbdown: wrong weight :thumbdown: poor details/strike/similar :thumbdown: errors such as wrong dates :thumbdown: These are just a few common things to keep in mind and while not always true, many who are in the coin industry know that they are true more often than not. Best ABN

Thanks when I go to China on my next trip I'll make sure I take a picture. Man they are good in producing repo's they have make anything look old. Thanks for the tip

Aaron

Ya, but just like the militaria, they are getting better and better. Some day, you may not be so easy to discern. I feel sorry for the novice collector, they are the ones that will pay the price, literally.

Ive been seeing coin dealers and others at the monthly ANTIQUE FAIR selling these FAKE coins

they pretend they dont know and play dumb and try to sell as originals , they usually want $25 and up for these pieces of junk.

The Bazaars set up for Soldiers here in Afghanistan are filled with fake coins like that. All of the ones I've seen here don't appear to be silver and are certainly fake. I have several real Morgan silver dollars at home that my Grandmother gave me several years ago, and there is really no comparison. As stated earlier, they feel lighter (much ligher) and if you've handled a real one you can tell as soon as you pick it up. Also, just like many fake wings, the details just don’t come out as good in the reproductions. But many people have been duped by them.

Vance

Looking at the pics of the coin shops that were posted reminds me of the shops in Vietnam selling all the fake SOG patches, uniforms, etc. Pretty scary. :unsure:

it is against the law to reproduce u.s. paper and coinage--- yes--- so if any of this junk is here in the u.s. they are doomed right????????????

Sure, with all of the cuts in government budgets, I bet these are low priority. Sad and not unlike those repro MOH's we are starting to see on E-Bay. I'm sure we aren't even scratching the surface..... :unsure:

-Ski

it is against the law to reproduce u.s. paper and coinage--- yes--- so if any of this junk is here in the u.s. they are doomed right????????????

Gotta pay for this 14 Trillion dollar debt somehow!! :w00t:

Gotta pay for this 14 Trillion dollar debt somehow!! :w00t:

Isn't that the truth! Although, I'd rather have fake coins pay my taxes than my checkbook.

I think this just demonstrates that people will monopolize on items people put any kind of substantial value on.