Full Metal Jacket

cutiger83

While Christmas shopping last week, I bought "Full Metal Jacket" for $10 at Target. I have heard lots about it and have been wanting to get it. Nothing says the holiday spirit like a war movie :lol: Just kidding!!! I liked the movie but not as much as I thought I would. I have seen better but have also seen worse. I liked the first half better than the second half. How realistic was the basic training compared to being on Parris Island in the 60's? I did not like the ending of the movie where they were singing the Mickey Mouse song. I was wondering what the rest of you thought about the movie.

Thanks...Kat

Manchu Warrior

"Full Metal Jacket" is one of my all time favorites :thumbsup: and I have watched it way to many times. And although I was not a Marine it did remind me of Army basic training at Ft Benning.

Definitely has it's place on the shelf, but I'm also more a fan of the first half than the second. Quite a few inaccuracies, but well done nonetheless. My father (a Marine in the 50's), took me to see it when I was in grammar school, and he laughed almost the entire first half! A few years later, I watched it nightly in preparation for heading off to recruit training (the first half, anyway).

Entertaining, to be sure!

Semper,

Ski

pathfinder505

I watched it when it came out at the theater. I thought it was good but not good enough to ever watch again or buy the video.

Now give me the Longest Day or Kelly's Heroes and some popcorn and I am ready to go.

I've watched Full Metal Jacket and the DI staring Jack Webb with my dad, a Korea Marine. He said his basic was experience was as shown in these movies.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the movie as a measurement of character. If people think it's a comedy, I know I'll get along with them! :thumbsup:

I have met R Lee Ermey twice, he's a really great guy, nice as they come and funny as heck. He told me that he often has people ask for him to pose for pictures with him pretending to choke the other person! :lol:

MailCall028.jpg

TentLees.jpg

I thought it was excellent movie!

I have FMJ in my war movie collection :thumbsup:

FULL METAL JACKET

PLATOON

HAMBURGER HILL

APOCALYPSE NOW

and all the RAMBO movies and several classic WWII movies as well

While Christmas shopping last week, I bought "Full Metal Jacket" for $10 at Target. I have heard lots about it and have been wanting to get it. Nothing says the holiday spirit like a war movie :lol: Just kidding!!! I liked the movie but not as much as I thought I would. I have seen better but have also seen worse. I liked the first half better than the second half. How realistic was the basic training compared to being on Parris Island in the 60's? I did not like the ending of the movie where they were singing the Mickey Mouse song. I was wondering what the rest of you thought about the movie.

Thanks...Kat

That's pretty much the same way I feel about the movie, I didn't like the ending one bit!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I think FULL METAL JACKET would have been a lot better movie if Gunnery Sgt Hartman didnt get killed and was also shipped to Vietnam.

+1. i was upset when he was killed. I sometimes stop then and watch something else.

This and my marine 1st sgt NJROTC instructor got me interested in joining the marines. No idea why.

Sam

I use the movie as a measurement of character. If people think it's a comedy, I know I'll get along with them! :thumbsup:

I have met R Lee Ermey twice, he's a really great guy, nice as they come and funny as heck. He told me that he often has people ask for him to pose for pictures with him pretending to choke the other person! :lol:

MailCall028.jpg

TentLees.jpg

R Lee makes this movie, no need to watch the 2nd half of the movie. I had to give the Gunny a hard time about playing an Army dog in Siege of Firebase Gloria. I ran into him at the show of shows a couple years ago and asked him about the "Army" role and his role in Saving Silverman. If you haven't seen Saving Silverman, watch it to see the Gunny's range as an actor...

I saw Full Metal Jacket when it first came out in the theaters. I thought the boot camp part of the movie was so realistic to me that it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck and my hands sweat.

When my series was at the rifle range, there was one recruit on another platoon who could not shoot to save his backside. His buddies rode him constantly during pre-qual firing practice and on qual day, he failed miserably. A non-qual was the lowers form of life in the Marine Corps (but it also meant that a combat arms MOS was unlikely). Apparently, he secreted a live round and the night after qualifications (and considerable more verbal abuse) he went into the shower area and shot himself. I don't remember if he lived or died as the scene was quickly secured and no one was allowed in there.

From the point the movie shifts to Vietnam, it's no longer worth watching. I have it on an old laser disc and watch it once in a while but always stop it at the point it switches to Vietnam.....just too ludicrous for me to stomach.

• 3 weeks later...