Fitting utensils in a M1928 Meat Can Pouch

paul1440

For some reason I can't get the meat can, fork, knife and spoon to all fit into a meat can pouch I just bought. :think: The meat can will only fit in sideways and I can then latch it closed, but not when I put it in longways. Also when I put the meat can pouch in sideways and I slide the knife, fork, and spoon in their respective slots, then the utensils sit up too high and I can't get the strap through the loop. Am I doing something wrong or is maybe this not a proper pouch?

Thanks in advance for your help and Merry Christmas to all.

V/R

Paul

For some reason I can't get the meat can, fork, knife and spoon to all fit into a meat can pouch I just bought. :think: The meat can will only fit in sideways and I can then latch it closed, but not when I put it in longways. Also when I put the meat can pouch in sideways and I slide the knife, fork, and spoon in their respective slots, then the utensils sit up too high and I can't get the strap through the loop. Am I doing something wrong or is maybe this not a proper pouch?

Thanks in advance for your help and Merry Christmas to all.

V/R

Paul

IIRC some of these pouches were made very, very close to regulation...IE you may have to try and stretch it out a bit...Or find a well used pouch.

Captainofthe7th

The best trick is to flip the lid around on the meat tin. This reduces it's width by at least half. You can put the utensils in the slots or inside the meat tin this way and they do not rattle...or put in a pack of cigarettes to keep them dry. The slots for utensils are also sized differently...I never noticed this the first time around...make sure the spoon is in the widest slot on the right.

DSCF2419.jpg

DSCF2421.jpg

See how the lid is flipped around on the left?

DSCF2420.jpg

The pouch should close just fine...there's actually more slack than it looks like, and mine closes alright even with the regularly assembled meat can in there.

Hope that helps!

Rob

I tend to find the utensils carried in the mess tin.Would be noisy as they would rattle around.It may be possible that there is a differance in pouch dimensions from the meat can pouch of the 1910 pack opposed to the 1928.The lid of the WW1 mess kit has a lower profile and I do have W22 mess kits that were in my opinion a transitional item as they have a WW1 style lid and metal clasp.Something to think about as I never really compared the dimensions of the pouches before.Your post brings up some good questions.

RON

I tend to find the utensils carried in the mess tin.Would be noisy as they would rattle around.It may be possible that there is a differance in pouch dimensions from the meat can pouch of the 1910 pack opposed to the 1928.The lid of the WW1 mess kit has a lower profile and I do have W22 mess kits that were in my opinion a transitional item as they have a WW1 style lid and metal clasp.Something to think about as I never really compared the dimensions of the pouches before.Your post brings up some good questions.

RON

hey speaking of utensils I have 3 old GI knifes for a mess kit - do they have any value to them - 1 is stamped 1904 & the other 2 are 1945 any help with these