fighting knife made from sword?

Navy Dan

Hi Everyone,

Just picked this up because it looked cool !!

The story is it was made for the shipboard Marines for a extra sidearm :think:

It is very well made and dated 1906 ASCo with flaming bomb US JHC

Some one engraved on the blade

From SGT. J W Mordan

camp JH Pendleton

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Dan

post-2552-1261340995.jpg

Your fighting knife was made from an M1906 Cavalry saber. The original saber blade was 34 5/8" long, the model 1906 Saber was an updated Model 1860 light Cavalry saber with an iron guard. Yours is the first knife I have seen made from the M1906 I have seen several fighting knives made from the Patton saber.

Your fighting knife was made from an M1906 Cavalry saber. The original saber blade was 34 5/8" long, the model 1906 Saber was an updated Model 1860 light Cavalry saber with an iron guard. Yours is the first knife I have seen made from the M1906 I have seen several fighting knives made from the Patton saber.

Thanks,

Do you figure it was made for WW I and what is your opinion on the engraving

Dan

Charlie Flick

Dan:

Camp Pendleton was not established until 1942, so the added markings would date to no earlier than that. This was probably a sword that was cut down into a handy fighting knife sometime in WW2. That work would not have been done by the military, but most likely by some civilian shop. There was a large demand for fighting knives, especially during the early part of WW2.

As far as I know the M1906 swords were not used by the Marines.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Definitely a WWII theater knife and everything else Chris & Charlie said about it. Perhaps not as well made as the ones made by San Antonio Iron Works (TX), or Knife Crafters (PA), but still a cool knife. Let me know if you ever get tired of it and you want to sell it!

Dan:

Camp Pendleton was not established until 1942, so the added markings would date to no earlier than that.

And I checked the USMC Muster Rolls - was not in the Marines before 1941.

Thanks for all the info and help it clears up some of my questions as far as dating it. I'm not real good on the fighting knifes just pick up the interesting ones.

Thanks Dan

• 11 years later...