.30-06 reversed bullets?

The bullet points on the rounds I found are all regular ball ammo so I think what your are saying is correct. Indeed there is no need to reverse AP bullets. It could also have been a little experiment, we'll probably never know.

Allways interested in 94th items and personal accounts!

All gave some,

Some gave all.

I just wanted to point out that these were un-fired rounds. So one has to wonder why they were found in this state.

Were they just left there by accident or were they left there as they were tried and the idea discarded?

Something that I don't think has been mentioned yet, how about it was simply a factory defect. I think we have all seen or heard of rounds such as this that have made it through todays QC and been sold to consumers. If I can find the pic of the 223 Rem that was done this way I will post it. But with millions of rounds being pumped out I think it would be possible that a few were reversed seated and made it to the front. Any takers on this opinion?

I have some 7.62x51 NATO, with no flash hole, still have some samples. This ammo went thru the US Military system to a firing range at Ft. Bragg where they started showing up. I was supporting the firing as a Small Arms Repairman when some of these rounds were brought to me. Question was, is the weapon (M14s) causing this?? Of course they were not and firing was halted, new 7.62 from a different Lot was obtained and firing resumed. I was told later that the entire Lot was withdrawn. The samples are out in my shop, but IIRC it was WRA67. Looked kinda interesting, almost like an over pressure. Primer ignited, but flash/pressure having no where to go, expanded primer pocket, flatten primer, pushed the case into chamber and set the case’s shoulders back. Ten or so incidents, none of the problem rounds fired. Checked all the Rifles that the misfires occurred in and found no problems.

Ammo, big and small do have problems, so that the reverse bullet rounds certainly could be a factory defect.

45B20

The soldiers reversed the bullet so when it hit the Sniper steel plate, the bullet wouldn't shatter and not not penetrate it, but rather have more power and resulting the bullet hitting the plate and killing the guy behind it with all the force

• 1 month later...

The only reference I have for using reversed bullets is for use against loop hole plates used by snipers, and occasionally for use against armor. The effect expected was to cause spalling of the interior face of the plate, sending flakes towards those behind it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.