Vietnam War Issue Machetes - Model 1942

gunbarrel

When 18" machetes issued during the Vietnam War come up in the conversation, it is usually the Ontario that it's talked about. That makes sense, as it is the most plentiful and inexpensive; however, let's not forget the Collins M-1942 (i.e. Collins No. 37) and the M-1942 made by Clyde. Regarding the Collins, the order placed in 1965 was the final order from the U.S. Army for Collins & Co. after a relationship that lasted over a century between the company and the U.S. Armed forces. The Clyde, to my knowledge, is the only other machete supplied by Clyde to the U.S. military besides the U.S.M.C. round tip in WWII.

Below you will find some photos of the three subject examples in my collection. Please, forgive my poor photographic skills.

Good pictures, I have several WWII machetes but i'd need to look for one of the VN era ones. Didn't know about the Clyde machetes.

Charlie Flick

Rey:

Excellent blades and a valuable commentary on the VN era M1942 machetes, a subject that few collectors have much information on. Those Clyde machetes are very scarce.

Good stuff!

Regards,

Charlie

• 10 months later...

Found this one Sunday. Don't know much about them and from reading this thread it must be Vietnam era since it is undated. Plastic handle is solid with no cracks. Blade length is 17-7/8" It was covered with a thin to medium layer of rust. Some penetrating oil and a brass scraper took off the loose rust leaving a blade that doesn't look too bad for $5.00! Thanks for looking.....

ont1.jpg

ont2.jpg

Keith,

Congrats, that is a Vietnam era Ontario. Not just because it's undated, but because of the orientation of the markings. Current ones are also undated, but the markings are stamped in a different direction:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=81014

You can go one step further with that blade using WD-40 and 0000 steel wool. It will clean up nicely.

Thanks for the wd-40 tip on cleaning the blade...I will try it. And thanks too for the further education on the markings on current production blades as I was unaware of those. It seems that the scabbards are the hard items to find?

Found this one Sunday. Don't know much about them and from reading this thread it must be Vietnam era since it is undated. Plastic handle is solid with no cracks. Blade length is 17-7/8" It was covered with a thin to medium layer of rust. Some penetrating oil and a brass scraper took off the loose rust leaving a blade that doesn't look too bad for $5.00! Thanks for looking.....

ont1.jpg

ont2.jpg

Very nice find indeed :thumbsup: . I am envious.

Tim

It seems that the scabbards are the hard items to find?

Not as hard as you might think. Actually, they do show up occasionally on eBay.

Tim

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I recently found this sawback Ontario machete with the older stampings that have been described as correct for Vietnam era. It has also been stated that the sawback design was introduced later. I wonder if anyone knows when this marking was discontinued and/or when the sawback was introduced. I emailed Ontario a couple of weeks ago but they have not replied.post-15963-0-09923200-1414947967.jpgpost-15963-0-09628400-1414947986.jpg

I knew troops that said they were issued WW2 dated machetes in their engineer, "Pioneer Kits". Have actually seen them. They also had the WW2 dated Beckwith Molded scabbards. Also had those still being issued in the late 70s as part of our team gear. SKIP

I knew troops that said they were issued WW2 dated machetes in their engineer, "Pioneer Kits". Have actually seen them. They also had the WW2 dated Beckwith Molded scabbards. Also had those still being issued in the late 70s as part of our team gear. SKIP

Skip,

Urbanminer's machete is Vietnam era marked. The question here is the saw back. Did any of the machetes you talk about have saw backs?

Thanks.

GB- Was just adding general info that WW2 machetes & scabbards were still issued in the 60s & 70s. As far as "sawback" Ontarios, only saw them sold commercially, never issued. They can still be found. Thanks for keeping me straight. SKIP