"Carrier" series on PBS

maddog1129

Has anyone else seen this? To me, it's been a fascinating look at all aspects and many jobs it takes to operate an aircraft carrier. It's some about the pilots and aircraft, but not all: there are so many needed support staff, on deck to direct the take offs and landings, to arm and disarm the aircraft, air traffic control, ship's operations, including how to feed and house the crew, which is quite large. It shows both officers' and enlisted perspectives.

I loved the series. It really showed the people in the service as people and not just as the cardboard cut-outs in the recruiting office. Truly amazing stuff in there too, like the petty officer teaching sexual abuse awareness who loses his career having (possibly) consentual sex with a female in his chain of command! And the guy who "just wants out" and takes a bad discharge just to do that.

I wish they could do series about all of the services like this. We as a nation don't always know the men and women in the service and its good to be reminded that they ARE us.

Tom Bowers