portraits of my great grandfathers's brother

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

My Aunt found these photos in some of my grandfahters personal effects, that she recieved after his death. She knows it was one of my Great Grandfather Fancher's brothers, but we are not sure which one. I know nothing of his service and I was hoping that one of you could give me a better idea of the exact year that the photo was taken based on the uniforms. I can tell from the collar insignia that he was infantry, and both photos are marked with Cuban photo studio marks on them.

Robert

Photo 1, My relative is the tall one with the mustashe.

post-6492-1261188718.jpg

...I was hoping that one of you could give me a better idea of the exact year that the photo was taken based on the uniforms...

Great pictures.

Post #1 is the standing-collar enlisted men's dress coat, model 1902. It saw widespread service until WWI and not much after that. Post #2 is the khaki standing-collar coat, model 1907 (with the "high standing-falling collar"). A new model came out in 1909 to accommodate the introduction of disc pattern collar insignia. (Source: Emerson's Encyclopedia, ch. 69 and ch. 76).

The Infantry insignia in your pictures have regimental numbers in the upper angles of the crossed muskets. If you can read the numbers, you can identify the regiment(s), and from that find the time the regiment(s) were in Cuba.