My '45 USMC MB on Mail Call

USMC_GAU-21

Hi all,

well some of you know that I restore and drive WWII jeeps and trucks. My last jeep resto, frame off was my 1945 Willys MB. It belonged to the sea bees and was also in a USMC unit after the war and before Korea. I have a lot of pictures of the frame off I will post later if anyone is interested. But, for now here is some pic of her at a "Mail Call" film shooting for the Navy Marine Corp Relief Society Golf Tournament hosted by none other then R. Lee Ermey himself.

His producer contacted me through the G503.com website, and asked if they could "borrow" the jeep for a day so the Gunny could drive it all over the golf course........well not just "yes" but how about "H*LL YES". so my son and I packed up the jeep at 0400 and trailer-ed her up to the Renditions Golf Club here in MD and got ready for a fun filled day with the "Gunny", not to mention all of the Hollywood types that came out for his Golf tourney.

Enjoy.....

r- Gy Dan

4196340920_f6b6c338ae_b.jpg

more of 1945 MB 458661

me and may baby with the "Gunny's Clubs"

4195586769_ce0e9ef9d1_b.jpg

Me, my son Zac, and R.Lee

4196343406_79c06f5aae_b.jpg

Gunny getting ready for the "Shot gun" start....

4196357804_350c6a2189_b.jpg

the jeep out on the course

Gunny doin his thing!

4195606503_a741cec085_b.jpg

Marines from the MCB Quantico "Historical Company" on the set of Mail Call

4195614927_e8753c34c7_b.jpg

Zac and I

4195615689_586c5e0bc7_b.jpg

more of MB 458661

One of the SSgt's with a Hollywood "Type" :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

4196371898_e3c5fafac5_b.jpg

group shot

4195619439_827d7b5cbb_b.jpg

Old glory in the mirror

4196373426_7f00636e2e_b.jpg

That is a fine-looking vehicle, Gunny! And the Hollywood "type" doesn't look too bad, either ;) I noticed it's the only picture where the SSgt is smiling. Can't say I blame him. Oh, if I saw that right, I also like the rifle in the golf bag :lol:

GB,

The rifle in the Golf Bag was actually a WWI Trench Gun. "Shotgun". It was donated by the NRA for the use in the golf tourney for a "SHOT GUN "Start" :w00t: :w00t:

r- Gunny

• 1 month later...

Great photos, but I’m confused because I know that Mail Call was cancelled quite some time ago by the History Channel. Ermey does “Lock and Load” now through a different production company. Who brought the sign? :think:

Great photos, but I’m confused because I know that Mail Call was cancelled quite some time ago by the History Channel. Ermey does “Lock and Load” now through a different production company. Who brought the sign? :think:

Hi Lee,

The "Gunny's Celebrity/Charity Golf Tournament" took place in Sept 2004. So these are old photos. Most of the heavy lifting on getting the jeep, props, firearms, etc was handled by the Marine Corps Museum folks. The jeep (and its owner) was indeed particularly nice - and reliable. The Model 1897 shotgun was brought to the course by the curator of the NRA firearms museum.

Dang, we covered a lot of turf on Mail Call.

Ah, the good ol' days.

Rob L.

Thanks for the clarification, Rob. It’s funny how many rumors still are out there that Mail Call might be returning. I hear people all the time asking about it, because they think I’m in the know (probably because most of my friends know that I know you and once was on the show). It’s a sad duty when I have to tell them that I don’t think we’ll ever see those days again.

Yep, them’s was the good old days, to be sure. I still miss watching new episodes!

Heck, just read that "Lock and Load" got canned, sounds like they did to it what they did to MC... :thumbdown: