Small Airborne find 17th "Talon" Magazines & Map

SteveR

Picked up this small bunch of airborne related stuff yesterday.

The silk map is my favorite piece.

Every thing

That's a great looking SA Sports Armband! The little flag is a later war example, with a printed swastika. It's interesting, because I have an SA Sports Amband that belonged to a soldier in the 101st, which was captured in Holland. Perhaps your's is something from"Market Garden" as well??

As for the rest of the grouping - what a great find! Do you plan on researching this soldier?

Chris

My research skills suck, friend. I am really not sure as to how to go about it.

Steve

A friend that has an antique mall in Joplin Mo. came up with the stuff. He said a fellow who sold the stuff to him said it was his grandfathers and he had inherited it. My friend told me the fellow said he has a lot more stuff and he will call me if the guy comes back so I can get as much info as I can. Fingers crossed twothumbup.gif

Might never see the fellow again but always have day dreams of turning a trunk of field jump gear and a helmet. I am happy with what I got but I would love to get more. thumbsup.gif

Am I a Collecting ADDICT? think.gifw00t.gif

We all have a disease! Once bitten by the collecting bug, it just gets worse over time - lol. As for the name, I would try NARA, and see how many people come up with that exact name. If you can find out other details about him, that would certainly help you in narrowing your searc.

Chris

17th Airborne did not participate in Operation "Market Garden".

Or maybe the soldier first was in the 82nd and was later transferred to 17th?

Great find!

Erwin

Hi Steve, I checked my 17th airborne roster and there wasn't a Robert John Walker listed, but there was a Robert L. Walker listed for the 194th GIR. The roster that I checked was in the 17th Airborne unit history that was published in 1947. There were a lot of 82nd guys that transfered into the 17th at the end of the war, its possible hes one of them. Either way you picked up a nice group, hope the rest of the stuff comes your way. Jon

A veteran that I knew, who has since passed, had the distinction of having served in the 17th, 82nd, and 101st AB. I remember him telling me how badly shot up the 17th was, he himself, was not wounded once during the war. He was at Market Garden, but obviously not part of the 17th. It saddens me to see fewer, and fewer of these guys around.

Chris

Guest Photographer

Hay guys... My dad is the one who posted this stuff. What mom dosen't sell when he dies I get later. HAHA :D