Model 1955 Service Collar Emblems

Brig

• 1 month later...

I picked up a clutchback this week: the first I've ever encountered. It has some of the black finish worn off so some of the brass comes through.

clutchega.jpgclutchegaback.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

here are three in my collection, the center one marked 'S' on the rear base of the eagle. These are popularly associated with the being the original type to be produced before the Marine Corps switched back to screwback, however that's not necessarily true. While the PX only sells screwback emblems, places such as Saigon Sam's sell cheaper versions from other manufactorers the PX does not stock that still have clutchbacks

M56_Clutch_Front.JPG

M56_Clutch_Rear.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a mix of emblems. The collar EGAs at the top have very well defined feathers, esp. in the wings. Sorry about the photo quality. The large cap ornament has writing on the roller, see photo, and looks to me like a 1937 pattern . The second from the left on the bottom is my favorite and the oldest I think, but perhaps someone can give me details on that, and I would like tohave it's opposite if anyone is selling. Any info on them all would be appreciated.

post-1414-1195451160.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

From top to bottom...

fist group are early 60's (modern era design) clutch backs for enlisted dress uniform and piss cover, were in use thru Nam.

second group (left to right) WW2 barracks cap emblem, in use thru WW2 and for career SNCO's likely to early 60's, second one a Officer's collar emblem appears late WW2 and would have been in use to early 60's by career field grade. Last pair for enlisted service dress again for career SNCO's likely in use to early 60's (the piss cover as well). These would have been in use with the cap emblem.

From top to bottom...

fist group are early 60's (modern era design) clutch backs for enlisted dress uniform and piss cover, were in use thru Nam.

second group (left to right) WW2 barracks cap emblem, in use thru WW2 and for career SNCO's likely to early 60's, second one a Officer's collar emblem appears late WW2 and would have been in use to early 60's by career field grade. Last pair for enlisted service dress again for career SNCO's likely in use to early 60's (the piss cover as well). These would have been in use with the cap emblem.

Darrell,

Surprised you didn't catch the M1955 clutch backs on top. Those are the "chocolate brown" versions worn from 1955 through 1963. They also look like they haven't been messed with, as in EmNued black. They are about the hardest to find in current pattern EM emblems, but still don't bring much money when trying to sell.

The clutch back officer emblem you're trying to find a mate for is a fairly available emblem, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. It's matching "put together sets" perfectly thats the tough part!

EDIT NOTE: Forgot to mention, but the 362 USMC APPROVED roller nut is almost always found on mid 1960's M1955 screw post emblems, so my guess is it was added to this earlier M1937 cover emblem after the fact. You might want to check the back of the emblem itself to see if there might be a corresponding "362" hallmark somewhere on the wing or anchor. I'm guessing you wont find this hallmark on an M1937 emblem, but it's worth looking just the same.

Gary

Here is the emblem hallmark you'll be looking for to match the roller.

post-84-1195510783.jpg

post-84-1195510802.jpg

This field is very interesting, and complex. The large hat EGA has no corresponding '362', so the nut would be a replacement. If anyone wants the third M1955

clutch back let me know, I still would have a set. By the way, I have a clutch back (the gripper, not the EGA) that's made of sterling, it's on on one my fathers

ribbon bars.

Thanks all for the very interesting information.

teufelhunde.ret

Gary is quite correct, it always slips my mind this modern era pattern which for the first time since 1868 contained reversed flukes and a anchor rope. I seem to hang up on the Officer's pattern which was not re-tooled until 1962... and associate the enlisted emblem change with the 1962 changes to the officer collar emblems.

Matching up that officer emblem will be a long term effort, it may be best to use it in your display, on the piss cover.

There is a nice matching pair from the same era that showed up on ebay this morning... thumbsup.gif

s/f Darrell

Is there a definitive source book on EGAs for sale that won't break the bank? I'm finding this area very interesting.

These EGAs I own have been gathered over the years since childhood, but the two I need, officers collar late war or early '50s are missing from my father's Vandegrift coat. I don't know how I ended up with so many enlisted EGAs, but they are interesting too.

teufelhunde.ret

Yes there are sources of information, a TM manuscript that is out of publication by the Museums Division. It is widely discredited by some... simply because of the lack of information... that still exists. But, its a great primer. A second source of info is an appendix to a uniform publication, authored by Steve Orgel, again with errors simply because of the lack of written histories that are needed to clarify and pinpoint the originals of these emblems. A new book is forthcoming By Dr. Fred... its promises to be a valued piece / reference. But, again... w/o any appendix, verifiable credits and reference sources... well we will have to wait and see.