Khaki sergeant stripes, what era?

cattaraugus

A close up showing the construction details would be helpfull, but these could date as far back as the 1920's up thru WWII. A detailed photo could help narrow down the time period even more.

A close up showing the construction details would be helpfull, but these could date as far back as the 1920's up thru WWII. A detailed photo could help narrow down the time period even more.

close up

post-4406-1261102028.jpg

Those are USMC stripes and would have been first war in the late WW2 time period. The earlier pattern had the stripes in wool and sewn to the khaki cotton backing.

craig_pickrall

I don't think they are USMC stripes but if they are then they will be 3 1/2 " wide and the Army stripes will be 3".

Those are most definitely the Late 40s-60s Stripes. I have several of those same stripes sewn on a couple of my post WW2 USMC khaki shirts, and some even in that same rank.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

-Josh

Captainofthe7th

Those are WWII chevrons for use on the khaki uniforms. They were phased out in 1948 when the yellow/blue small chevrons came out and again in 1951 when the OD on blue chevrons became standard. You still see them used on a number of uniforms up into the Korean War. They were definitely not used past 1955 when the AG uniforms came out.

They are not USMC chevrons, they are Army.

Rob

Weren't these the cheverons for the Class C uniform:

http://www.quartermasterdepot.com/shop08/i...k%202%20002.jpg

and these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1033-Army-Staff-Sergea...8#ht_1298wt_941

When I'll get a chance I'll post pics of my original. I go it off an original Marine wool shirt. I also still have several still sewn to the shirts.

-Josh

craig_pickrall

Josh, both of your links are for Army chevrons. I'm not sure if you realized that. The stitching on the USMC chevrons are different but the main way to tell is by the width.

Captainofthe7th

There were two types of chevrons for the Army khaki shirts. A tan/brown on khaki twill and this sage color on khaki. You see both on the khaki shirts and occasionally on M41 jackets. The photos you provided were more universal chevrons for use on the Class A 4 pocket and Ike jackets, wool shirts, and field uniforms. I don't know if I have ever seen that variety on a khaki shirt. Then you get the rayon on dark blue that were THE universal chevrons for use on any uniform.

F_061_op_576x432.jpg

post-1809-1211644564.jpg

post-569-1183235652.jpg

These images came from around the forums...

And one more for the road:

PICT0165.jpg

Here's a link to various USMC chevrons:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...;hl=khaki+shirt

Rob