FIRST ALLIED AIRBORNE ASSOCIATION (UK)

FAAA

The FAAA which recruits from all over the United Kingdom is very active all the year round and when not displaying at public events are organising there own. Since its activation in 1994 the Association had been instrumental in organising and running the “Chutes and Daggers” and “War on the Park” shows at Bletchley Park.

The Association also ran the original WWII shows “A Village at War” Event at Farnham and while based at the Twinwoods Airfield the group ran the "War Walks" Battlefield tours at the International Glenn Miller Festival and its own "Campaign" WWII Historical Shows. The last few years the Group have run new events at the Chiltern Open Air Museum, including training weekends and the very successful annual “PRELUDE TO D-DAY” shows.

The First Allied Airborne Association pride itself on accuracy and can represent any WWII activated US Airborne unit, and was the first group in the UK to represent the Elite 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion in the Southern France Campaign. Although the Association can move from one unit to another depending on the show requirements, its parent unit is the 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment and is re-enacted both when the regiment was attached to the 82nd Airborne Division and later assigned to the 17th Airborne Division. It is this unit all new recruits muster into before branching out to represent other units as and when the correct kit is sourced.

While the Association is very much an Airborne based group the “First Triple A” often raise to the challenge of re-enacting non airborne units and no American ground unit is beyond its capabilities. Each year a line Infantry or Armoured unit is chosen and one event at least is undertaken representing a non Airborne unit.

Within the FAAA all interests are catered for and it is unique in having a full Honour Guard of trained Troopers who can undertake all tasks involving drill with the MI Rifle and have since its activation undertaken formations from Sunset Parades and Memorial Parades to a Funeral for an American Airborne Veteran.

For group members who would rather get involved in non Parachute and Gliderborne impressions, either due to age or fitness, the group have several impressions that allow members to do less active impressions, while still requiring a high standard of research and dress standards. These impressions cover the Military Police, which is always an asset at any events, providing not only a good visual impression to camp scenarios but also providing an element of real time security.

A second asset that some members provide though an impression is the Field kitchen or Mess hall. This aspect of the group’s re-enactment provides the group with a cheaper alternative to catering from the over inflated burger vans at events while providing an interesting Living History activity for the public to watch.

While many groups are very much male orientated, the FAAA is not and welcomes Females into the Association to serve in the “Army Nurses” section of the Association. This group is an integral part of the FAAA but capable in undertaking stand alone displays at events. The unit commander of this Sub group is the Executive Officer of the First Allied Airborne Association and the link between both groupings.

The Association have an interesting fleet of vehicles within its membership from a Compax Paratrooper push Bike to a couple of Dodge Weapons Carriers, as well as several Jeeps all of which members of the association help out with in regards to show fuel costs.

The First Allied Airborne Association is very much a veteran orientated group and members are in constant contact with US Airborne Veterans in America and here in the UK, and hosted a veteran’s visit to there HQ prior to Normandy In 2004. Recently members of the Association formed the US Airborne Memorial Fund and have raised money for the Troop Carrier Command Memorial which will be unveiled sometime in the future. For the Normandy Commemorations the First Allied Airborne Association was selected to provide Honour Guards at various locations within the American sectors and have worked with the Town of St Mere Eglise on veteran projects.

Potential Recruits to the FAAA are advised not to be put off by the high standards the Association sets itself, it has experienced reenactors who have been doing the hobby for years with every conceivable item of kit the GI had, in there collections, to the guy who has only the basic kit he stands up in, all are welcome within the ranks of the association, all that is required is the enthusiasm to source the kit and above all the willingness to adapt to a group run on military lines, because that is what it is, it has fun, a lot of it, but it is run as a Military unit and is defiantly not a drinking club, the group when ever possible live in the field under canvas, both male and female, this may not be for every one!

The FAAA does also have entry standards, and this includes a weight to height limit, as it does not encourage overweight individuals to represent Paratroopers as this is unrealistic. Entry age is less important as the appearance of men in the 40’s; especially those in the military looked older than their actual age! FAAA is however sensible about its entry standards and will accommodate most recruits.

The Association has over the last couple of years built its own website which includes many aspects of the hobby and Airborne History. You are invited to visit http://www.faaa.me.uk and see for yourself what it gets up to over the course of a year!

The First Allied Airborne Association does not lay claim to being the best (although the membership may do!) but it takes the hobby one step further and if individuals are seriously interested in the Living History world and the US Airborne of WWII in particular then this association which is arguably the most flexible in the UK are always interested in recruiting new people.

See you in the Assembly Area

Lee Bowden

Group Co-Coordinator

First Allied Airborne Association

Hi Lee and the boys of FAAA,

See you in the square, St Mere Eglise June 2010 :lol: :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

Hi Ken

We will not be over in June, but have plans to be there for a long weekend come the end of May.

We are over to start the memorial plans for the American Army Nurses.

Would be great to hook up with you again.

Kind Regards

Lee

Welcome aboard the Forum Lee, nice to see a top UK group on the forum.

Thanks Paul

Have looked in here now and again and feel its a more grown up Forum than perhaps a few on the otherside of the pond, so will give it a try. Some great info already on here for sure. Looking fiorward to being involved.

Kind Regards

Lee

General Apathy
Hi Ken

We will not be over in June, but have plans to be there for a long weekend come the end of May.

We are over to start the memorial plans for the American Army Nurses.

Would be great to hook up with you again.

Kind Regards

Lee

Hi Lee, Roger that. Cheers lewis :thumbsup:

Thanks Paul

Have looked in here now and again and feel its a more grown up Forum than perhaps a few on the otherside of the pond, so will give it a try. Some great info already on here for sure. Looking fiorward to being involved.

Kind Regards

Lee

Yep totally agree, there seems to be an absence of in-fighting AND the info on the various threads is top notch!!

May I on behalf of all Officers, NCO's and Enlisted Men and Women of the First Allied Airborne Association wish all Groups, individuals and visitors to the Forum a Very Happy Christmas and a great Re-enacting New year.

Lee Bowden

FAAA

2091388240102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

Picture by Tim Parker

Johan Willaert

Lee,

I was wondering, do the excellent mannequins you had at the Benning Wing still exist??

If so, could you post them for all to admire???

Cheers,

Johan

Lee,

I was wondering, do the excellent mannequins you had at the Benning Wing still exist??

If so, could you post them for all to admire???

Cheers,

Johan

Hi Johan

Yes they are all still here at home. They were for a time on display at Twinwood Airfield before pulling out of there. I hope to extend my Garage in the next couple of years to house a small private museum. I have learnt a lot since they were first displayed and hope I can improve on what I had before.

I will sort out some of the pictures I have and post up if you think they are good enough.

Kind Regards

Lee

Hi Johan

Yes they are all still here at home. They were for a time on display at Twinwood Airfield before pulling out of there. I hope to extend my Garage in the next couple of years to house a small private museum. I have learnt a lot since they were first displayed and hope I can improve on what I had before.

I will sort out some of the pictures I have and post up if you think they are good enough.

Kind Regards

Lee

2132570950102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

Troops and Troopets

It has certainly been a great year for us here in the First Triple A and that is thanks entirely to the members of the group who have weekend after weekend made themselves available to meet up for events.

All members of this group would like to wish all the groups we have worked with over the year and those individuals who have supported our efforts here on this forum a very happy new year and hope what ever you have planned to see the new year in, you are all with family and friends.

For those interested in what we have been up to this year please see link below for a photo report of this year. Many of the pictures remind at least us what a great reenacting year 2009 has been

http://triggertimeforum.yuku.com/topic/5331

Kind Regards to all of you, look forward to being with you in the field in 2010.

All Ranks, The First Allied Airborne Association

I see the famous "hair cut" picture has made it worldwide now then......:-)

All the best to the FAAA/Army Nurses for 2010

Regards

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd and the same to you and your charming lady.

Hope we get to work together on a project in 2010 :thumbsup: .

Kind Regards

Lee

Should easily be able to work that one out somewhere in the year Lee...i may be coming to you for early Dodge advice sooner though when my new toy lands on Jan 16th.

Got plenty of scope for events this year both Army and Army Air Force

Thanks for the wishes and they are reciprocated

Regards

Lloyd

Just a few days into the New Year and the First Triple A's Historical Display Group have their 2010 events planned out.

This year will bring new display challenges for the group who are continuing to recruit quality Living Historians to take part in their displays and memorial events.

This year will again see the group working alongside some of the very best UK groups and Associations.

Below, based on what has been confirmed to date is a draft copy of our 2010 programme:

FIRST ALLIED AIRBORNE ASSOCIATION

DRAFT 2010 PROGRAME OF EVENTS

JANUARY

2680598440102477265S200x200Q85.jpg

DATE----------------30th/31th JANUARY

EVENT---------------MILITARIA 2010 AND BLITZ BALL DANCE

LOCATION----------STONELEIGH

IMPRESSION--------509th PARACHUTE INFANTRY BATTALION /45th RECCONNAISANCE TROOP 45th INFANTRY DIVISION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FEBRUARY

2743357690102477265S200x200Q85.jpg

DATE----------------20th/21st FEBUARY

EVENT---------------SPECIAL FORCES WEEKEND AND CAMPAIGN EVENT RECCE

LOCATION----------COAM

IMPRESSION--------OSS AND FIRST SPECIAL SERVICE FORCE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MARCH

2782268180102477265S200x200Q85.jpg

DATE----------------SUNDAY 14th MARCH

EVENT---------------508th PARACHUTE INFANTRY MEMORIAL UNVAILING

LOCATION----------WOLLATON HALL, NOTTINGHAM

IMPRESSION--------508th PARACHUTE INFANTRY REGIMENT, 82nd AIRBORNE DIVISION / 818th MED AIR EVAC SQUADRON

2223520230102477265S200x200Q85.jpg

DATE----------------27th/28th MARCH

EVENT---------------CAMPAIGN 45

LOCATION----------COAM

IMPRESSION--------17th AIRBORNE DIVISION / 91st EVAC HOSPITAL 1st US ARMY

APRIL

2601833520102477265S200x200Q85.jpg

DATE----------------25th / 26th APRIL

EVENT---------------LITTLECOTE AT WAR

LOCATION----------LITTLECOTE HOUSE, WILTSHIRE

IMPRESSION--------HEADQUARTERS, 506 PIR, 101st AIRBORNE DIVISION / 818th MED AIR EVAC SQUADRON

MAY

2743273470102477265fFdHNn_th.jpg

DATE----------------3rd MAY

EVENT---------------ROUTE TO VICTORY

LOCATION----------RAMBURY WILTSHIRE

IMPRESSION--------17th AIRBORNE DIVISION

2427142390102477265SekeQy_th.jpg

DATE----------------28th/29th/30th/31st MAY

EVENT---------------91st EVACUATION HOSPITAL RECCE

LOCATION----------NORMANDY

IMPRESSION--------91st EVAC HOSPITAL 1st US ARMY

UNIFORM------------HBT AND CIVILIANS

2027089550102477265QHUcXU_th.jpg

JUNE

DATE----------------SATURDAY 19th JUNE

EVENT---------------55th FG AND 398th BG MEMORIAL DEDICATION

LOCATION----------NUTHAMPSTEAD HERTFORDSHIRE

IMPRESSION--------ARMY AIR FORCE HONOR GUARD & MILITARY POLICE

2440295270102477265S200x200Q85.jpg

DATE----------------26th/27th JUNE

EVENT---------------2010

LOCATION----------TANK MUSEUM

IMPRESSION--------41st ARMOURED INFANTRY REGIMENT / 17th ARMOURED ENGINEER BATTALION / 91st EVAC HOSPITAL

JULY

2731622000102477265xVAlTt_th.jpg

DATE----------------SATURDAY 3rd JULY

EVENT---------------EATON BRAY CARNIVAL AND CP BBQ

LOCATION----------EATON BRAY

IMPRESSION--------TBC

2870365110102477265S200x200Q85.jpg

DATE----------------25th/26th JULY

EVENT---------------ENGLISH HERRITAGE, HISTORY IN ACTION

LOCATION----------KELMARSH

IMPRESSION--------4th INFANTRY DIV or 41st ARMOURED INFANTRY REGIMENT / 91st EVAC HOSPITAL

AUGUST

2506964320102477265S200x200Q85.jpg

DATE----------------21st / 22nd AUGUST

EVENT---------------RAMSEY AT WAR

LOCATION----------RAMSEY AIRFIELD

IMPRESSION--------325th GLIDER INFANTRY REGT, 82nd AIRBORNE DIVISION / 9th USAAF GLIDER PILOTS /818th MED AIR EVAC SQUADRON

SEPTEMBER

2726809350102477265S200x200Q85.jpg

DATE----------------11th /12th SEPTEMBER

EVENT---------------96th BOMB GROUP MEMORIAL DAY

LOCATION----------SNETTERDEN

IMPRESSION--------877th AIRBORNE ENGINEER AVIATION BATTALION/ 818th MED AIR EVAC SQUADRON

OCTOBER

DATE----------------16th OCTOBER

EVENT---------------FAAA ANUAL DINNER AWARDS

LOCATION----------THE CROWN COMMAND POST ALBBOURNE

IMPRESSION--------101st AIRBORNE / TROOP CARRIER COMMAND

DATE----------------TBC OCTOBER

EVENT---------------IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF THE 101ST AIRBORNE / HELP FOR HEROS MARCH

LOCATION----------ALBBOURNE/RAMSURY/LITTLECOTE

IMPRESSION--------101st AIRBORNE

-------------------------------------------------------------

NOVEMBER

DATE----------------14th NOVEMBER

EVENT---------------REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY AND 101st MEMORIAL SERVICE

LOCATION----------ALDBOURNE

IMPRESSION--------101st AIRBORNE / TROOP CARRIER COMMAND / MED AIR EVAC SQUADRON

DECEMBER

2027089550102477265QHUcXU_th.jpg

DATE----------------TBC

EVENT---------------FAAA CHRISTMAS DANCE

LOCATION----------RED FEATHER CLUB, 95th BG HORHAM

IMPRESSION--------USAAF

UNIFORM-----------CLASS A DRESS/ 40’s CIVILIAN

On their return to England after a Christmas break in Normandy, Karen and Matt forwarded on to me a couple of pictures of the new information board recently errected near the Airborne memorial in Magneville.

On the western edge of the small village stands a memorial stone erected in memory of eighteen 506th PIR paratroopers and four 95th Troop Carrier Squadron flight crew. These 22 men lost their lives during the early hours of 6th June 1944 when the crippled aircraft (2100905) in which they were flying crashed. It is interesting to note that when this memorial was dedicated in 1947 it was thought that the Aircraft was carrying troops of the 82nd Airborne Division and the 82nd Airborne Shoulder Sleeve insignia was placed in sculptured form on the memorial.

When it was discovered many years later that the troops who perished were infact from "Item" Company 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment it was decided that the 82nd insignia would remain in Honour of that Division. Later new memorial plaques were placed on the surrounding wall and it is these that today that carry the names of the dead and the insignia of the 101st and 506th PIR along with the Ninth USAAF and Troop Carrier Command.

The First Allied Airborne Association had the honour in providing the Guard of Honor for the June memorial day in both 2004 and again in 2009.

Since our deployment to Normandy in June of last year the information board has been erected near to the memorial. Both Karen and Matt and the rest of the group when told were very surprised and proud that amongst the pictures included to illustrate the history of the memorial a picture of our 2004 Honor Guard has been included.

It does go to show I hope that this noble hobby is sometimes appreciated by the people of France.

2975870650102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2655619710102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2450918460102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2390191130102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2816031870102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2087411420102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

With all the snow every one is having over here in the UK it seems the right and proper thing to do and get out and take some reenacting pictures of the guys in the snow, however as its bloody cold as well and being a bit of a wimp I thought I would instead stay in the comfort and warmth of this Command Post and post up some pictures of a past event taken way back in Jan 2004.

The pictures below actually are not even taken outside and the snow aint even real, but I feel gives the feeling of winter of 1945.

It is the Stoneleigh indoor event and the display depicts an actual event that took place on the 7th January 1945 and involved the group representing troopers of both the 327th Glider Infantry Regiment, 101st AB Division, 193rd Glider Infantry Regiment, 17th Airborne Division and elements of an Armoured Medical Unit.

2672082710102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2237208290102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2812705150102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2189349340102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2529796550102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2582837450102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2957547780102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2784004530102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2802329410102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Today a dismounted patrol from the 45th Cavalry Reconnaissance troop crossed the Rhine into Germany to reconnoitre the Village of Coam in preparation for a major offensive in the area in March.

2242434700102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2340253730102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

Full report to follow once patrol reports are collated at this units message centre.

Before moving up the line troops of Headquarters Admin and Supply report

to the QMC Distribution Point to collect new issue Uniform and equipment.

2628642510102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2653154400102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2620785280102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2543300160102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2591601390102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2194764210102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2964035120102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Weekend

During this weekends deployment all aims achieved, 14 members of the group mustered to represent 3 main WWII Units, The First Special Service Force in training and in action in Italy, The 41st Armoured Infantry Regiment, 2nd Armoured Division in action in France and the OSS in training and in action with the french resistance.

On hand was a Signals Corp photo unit to cover the action.

Reports on the seperate actions will follow.

LB

2990310940102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2860535770102477265S600x600Q85.jpg

2264728610102477265S600x600Q85.jpg