Army or Marine Chevron?

Steindaddie

Got this poor thing on ebay for a $1.95 - I don't collect such items, but it needed a home. Is it USMC, US Army, or...? Khaki stripes of wool on a very dark blue or black wool rough weave fabric. 5 x 3 inches.

~Will

post-1949-1260981208.jpg

post-1949-1260981216.jpg

I would say that it is Army WWII issue. The Marines didn't have a 1st Sgt. rank until after the war and the open diamond lozenge was used by the Army. The Marine 1st Sgt. has a closed or whole diamond lozenge.

Still a nice piece. Do you have a pair?

Cheers,

-D

That's the Army 1st Sgt. used from 1920 till July 1942 (2nd pay grade). The example you have appears to be a late thirties or early 1940's vintage piece. In July 1942, the 1st Sgt. was moved up to the 1st pay grade same as Master Sergeant and given the 3rd rocker. Too bad the moths chewed this one to pieces. :crying:

craig_pickrall

Another way to tell is during the WW2 period Army chevrons were 3" wide and USMC chevrons were 3 1/2" wide.

Gents: Thanks for the info. Given that it was chewed when I got it, I will display this chevron in a conspicuous place as a constant reminder of the eating habits of moths. I fully understand why exterminators find their work so rewarding.

~Will

• 3 years later...

I would say that it is Army WWII issue. The Marines didn't have a 1st Sgt. rank until after the war and the open diamond lozenge was used by the Army. The Marine 1st Sgt. has a closed or whole diamond lozenge. Sorry. The Marines did have the rank of First Sergeant. The rank of First sergeant was originally known as Orderly Sergeant,. There was no First Sergeant rank from 1946 to 1954, although the Marines still had sergeants who acted as first sergeants. First Sergeants had 3 stripes with a lozenge in the angle until 1922 when 2 rockers were added. First sergeants remained in the second pay grade until 1943 when they were moved into the first pay grade (3 rockers). The chevron was not used from late 1946 till 1955 when it was re-instated.

Still a nice piece. Do you have a pair? Why does everyone insist on pairs? A collector has no need of pairs unless the insignia has a design that comes in pairs, such as a bugler chevron, or a quartermaster chevron. Only a re-enactor has need of pairs of insignia.

Cheers,

-D

"Why does everyone insist on pairs? A collector has no need of pairs unless the insignia has a design that comes in pairs, such as a bugler chevron, or a quartermaster chevron. Only a re-enactor has need of pairs of insignia."

Most collectors i know prefer to have matching insignia so as for only re-enactors needing it then i guess that makes 99% of collectors are re-enactors

"Why does everyone insist on pairs? A collector has no need of pairs unless the insignia has a design that comes in pairs, such as a bugler chevron, or a quartermaster chevron. Only a re-enactor has need of pairs of insignia."

Most collectors i know prefer to have matching insignia so as for only re-enactors needing it then i guess that makes 99% of collectors are re-enactors

I've collected chevrons for over 35 years and the only time I want a pair is if they were made in rights & lefts. Getting 2 of every kind is harder and thay take up twice as much room. It's not too bad when you have a couple dozen chevrons, but when you get into hundreds, it gets thing a bit crowded. JMHO

I don't always seek a pair, will gladly accept a single and yes 2 of everything takes up more space.

I won't turn down a pair and some of my chevrons & rates I keep 2 pairs of, just in case.

Bill