Nicely ID'd WWI 27th Division Helmet

trenchbuff

This helmet and gasmask combo turned up on a trip to Yellowstone Park at a small antique shop in Ennis, MT. The helmet has an interesting green paint that I've seen on other 27th helmets and the initial's CD are painted on the inside rim. The neat part is the full ID on the bag to Private C. D. Darlinton, Co. C, 105th Infantry, 27th Division. I need some help tracking down this guy's hometown. I usually don't find 27th helmets out here in Montana since they are most noted for their New York connection. However, many of the replacement came from Western states, specifically the 40th and 41st Depot Divisions. So, it'll be a nice surprise if he came from a Western state and didn't migrate out here after the war. It also came with a very cool German hate belt. I was pretty happy to add it to my collection.

post-944-1260898030.jpg

post-944-1260898048.jpg

Mark,

What a nice find. Kind'a makes one sorry he's too narrowly focused in his collection. May have to broaden out again. Great gas mask!

Best, DJ

Fabulous find! I hope your able to pin your guy down out there but, whatever the case, this is one very nice group!

Nice to see, I happen to have been a Member of Co. C. 1st Bn, 105th Infantry regiment from 1993 to 2000.

The Serial # Isn't that for a Draftee?

Jeffrey Magut

I have checked Ancestry.com and found Carey A. Darlinton, who is listed as a World War veteran in the 1930 census. At the time, he was living in Madison Montana. In his draft registration card, his residence is Logan, Montana, occupation: farmer.

I have checked Ancestry.com and found Carey A. Darlinton, who is listed as a World War veteran in the 1930 census. At the time, he was living in Madison Montana. In his draft registration card, his residence is Logan, Montana, occupation: farmer.

That's great info, Thanks very much! Neither place is too far from where I found the helmet.

Nice to see, I happen to have been a Member of Co. C. 1st Bn, 105th Infantry regiment from 1993 to 2000.

The Serial # Isn't that for a Draftee?

Makes me think even more that he was probably a 41st Div. guy who was transferred to the 27th. Thanks!

Beautiful!

Love the artwork.

Not all 27th helmets have that distinctive green, but I think they look nice when they do. It says here that the 107th INF used it to stand out during the NYC Victory parade- but this is not the first non-107th helmet I've seen with the dark green color.

Great Grouping, it is a great Gas Mask Case design as well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards

John Schuler

If you ever want to sell it let me know :rolleyes: