Tragic story of Cpl. Channing Miller USMCR

devildog34

Here is the case of Cpl. Channing Bernard Miller Co. A 1st Bn 2nd Marines. He enlisted in the Marine Corps on April 22, 1942 from Aurora, Ill. He was involved in the first wave at Betio Island on Nov. 20, 1943 where he received his first wound. According to his casualty card the nature is not specified, but he survived. He also participated in the assault on Saipan where he was awarded a silver star for his actions on June 17, 1944. He was again wounded in action on July 8, 1944. According to his casualty report he suffered gunshot wounds to the face, chest and left hand and was evacuated on the same day but according to his casualty file, returned to duty July 29, 1944 with his unit at Tinian! On that same day he was again wounded by a gunshot wound to the right side of the head (yes I am serious check the scans below) On the very day he returned to duty. He was again evacuated on July 31, 1944. At some unspecified date Cpl. Miller returned to duty and long after the island of Saipan was "secured" Cpl. Channing B. Miller was killed in action on Sept. 11, 1944 after receiving gunshot wounds to the buttocks. He was buried in grave #16 Row 16, Plot E of the 2nd MarDiv Cemetery Saipain Mariana Islands. I cannot even imagine the level of bravery this Marine exhibited, truly remarkable and utterly tragic.

Please excuse the fading it is on the scan and not on the ribbon or medal.

post-2182-1260856189.jpg

This is the 4th and final casualty report the reports the death of now Sgt. Channing B. Miller. He was evidently promoted to Sergeant however his purple heart is engraved to Cpl. Channing B. Miller. Very sad and tragic group. This Marine literally survived hell only to lose his life during the mop up phase. I'd really like to know more about Channing Miller if anyone has any additional info I'd really like to hear from you. I need to get his file from St. Louis, MO among many others but just tugs at the heart to look at this story.

-Semper Fi, Kevin Seldon

post-2182-1260858052.jpg

A very tragic story indeed. It's a shame his CO didn't try to find a way to get him sent home after he was wounded the third time. Although, who knows? Maybe he did, and Sgt. Channing refused. But then again, the Marines needed every experienced man in the field they could muster. A very sad story...

Thank you for sharing this. I've never seen a WWII Purple Heart with three Gold Stars before.

teufelhunde.ret
Sorry I should have put this under the medals and decorations section

-Kevin

It is now... :thumbsup: and thanks for sharing this PH with us!

Stinger Gunner USMC

Absolutly amazing. This is indeed a tragic story! I have a 3x Purple Heart group but ive never seen one from a 4x wounded Marine

As a beginning collector, I'm amazed at some of these stories and medals. What a true hero!! Plus, it makes me proud to be a citizen of this great country, and I want to say THANK YOU (although thanks don't seem enough) to all veterans who have served for us. -- Brian Blankenburg