United States Army Indian Wars Medal Real or Fake

crater

Captainofthe7th

You may want to watch out...the zig zag pattern on the ribbon appears on most modern ribbons. I don't think any pre-1960s ribbons or medals had this zig-zag cut. They used a straight cut.

Rob

You may have an original planchet, but possibly a fake ribbon. Some of the edge numbering and naming has been faked extensively on these in the past. There were only 250 of these that were plain numbered. The numbers were 2001-2250, so your number does fall within that range.

If you can get a better pic of the numbering that would help make the determination.

Hi, the strike does not look as sharp as it should for a US Mint strike. Also, I believe the number should be at the 6 oclock position on the rim and the engraving, from what I can see, does not appear to be period engraving. John

Hi need help with this United States Army For Service Indian Wars Medal

Real or Fake?

Thanks,

First impression - Medal dates from this period... Jack

• 2 weeks later...

The planchet appears to be an older strike – it has an "inner border ring" just inside the wide border of the planchet (newer strikes don’t typically have that) and the wire suspension ring is typical of an older medal. I don’t think a cast copy would have such a well-done suspension ring on it. I think the poor detail of the medal is primarily due to wear. The ribbon is certainly a new replacement, but that isn’t a huge factor in the evaluation of the planchet, as I would expect a medal showing a lot of wear not to have the original ribbon.

It’s quite possible this is an old un-numbered replacement medal the vet obtained and had his original medal number stamped on it. I would think if this medal was numbered and named with the intent to monetarily enhance the medal and deceive a collector, the number would have been placed in the correct location on the planchet (i.e., 6 o’clock).

Kurt

I think the entire medal might be fake. It looks artificially aged and I dont like the strike. Look between the A and the N in Indian. There is a blob of metal between the letters. The numbering is fake too.

Kurt

• 11 years later...

not sure what you mean. I did how ever get more medals from source. not really sureif they are relivant. 

20210507_170622.jpg

20210507_170823.jpg

20210507_170914.jpg

20210507_170927.jpg

20210507_171021.jpg

20210507_171045.jpg

20210507_171134.jpg

20210507_171201.jpg

20210507_171308.jpg

20210507_171434.jpg

20210507_171451.jpg

20210507_171500.jpg

Collecting medals is an interesting hobby but it takes time to develop the knowledge needed in order to find exactly what you want.

Speaking with established dealers like Jeff Floyd or Steve Ackley will go a long way to help you find what you are looking for.

Your Indian Wars is a good piece to have in your collection until you find an attributable medal

I also suggest that if you are new to medal collecting you join OMSA for $20 per year and obtain a copy of "Call of Duty" by Strandburg and Bender.

The medals you have are a good start to your collection - The Pacific and ETO medals appear to be US Army issued since the Navy versions have a sharp edge

Bill

This medal whether vintage or newer has been modified with the number in the incorrect location (should be at 6:00, as stated above) therefore the number was added to the location on the rim which makes it hard to date if it’s a genuine contract. We’ve seen medals in the past the fit all the characteristics of a good known contract with the number removed and engraved over with the name of the veteran, so there is a possibility the number was relocated on the rim in another location to allow the name uninterrupted. I would need higher definition photos to see what contract it came from, if any. The bail ring in my opinion looks like a 1960-1970’s Medallic Art. There’s no cut in the bail ring so it’s definitely not a U.S. Mint contract Nọ or M.Nọ  from 1908-1928.  

ADBAA7E1-62AA-4C50-87FB-284D9875467E.jpeg

Primoris Scio

Zach your Indian Wars medal looks great, the stamp is genuine it has the right cut depth, you should be confident in it.  If you look at the numbers 568 there are tiny aging spots on and around them revealing the numbers are original to the medal.

The Yangtze Service and China Service medals are also very good, can you show a reverse photo of the Yangtze medal?