The 187th RCT Uniform Topic

Captainofthe7th

I will be back shorly. My wife just grilled some burgers, so I'll be back after a while.. I have uniforms still to post, and later 2 huge phot albums from the 187th in Korea and the 188th Glider Infantry Regiment

Leigh....

post-5554-1265506365.jpg

post-5554-1265506399.jpg

Top picture illustrates the actions that led to Cpl. Rudy Hernandez, being awarded the Medal of Honor. Bottom picture is yet another unit history of the 187th.

post-5554-1265507871.jpg

post-5554-1265507934.jpg

post-5554-1265507961.jpg

Top pics are 2 Rakkasan Reunion programs. Bottom is a certificate of achievement awarded to me while assigned to the 187th in 1984-1986..

post-5554-1265508647.jpg

post-5554-1265508688.jpg

post-5554-1265508718.jpg

post-5554-1265508752.jpg

Top picture is a certificate of achievement that was made internally by the command group of C. Co. These were awarded to troopers who did various acts that pleased the commander. The Commander at this time was CPT Richard Thomas..

Next picture shows the Presidential Unit Citations, Valorous unit Award, and other awards that the members of the 187th were authorized to wear while assigned to the 101st.

Next picture is part of one of the uniforms I have. The 1950's garrison cap with infantry blue piping and enlisted glider patch.

Last picture is the 1950 Ike jacket with Japanese DI's and Japanese made Presidential Unit Citation in plastic.

post-5554-1265509347.jpg

post-5554-1265509410.jpg

Close up of the pin back jump wings, marked sterling, weapons qualification badge and the second picture is a close up of the Japanese made DI's, hallmarked NBI co. Japan

post-5554-1265509908.jpg

post-5554-1265509939.jpg

post-5554-1265509971.jpg

Close up of the shoulder patch on the Ike jacket

Close up of the ribbon bar, right to left, United Nations Service, Korean Service with 2 campaign Stars and National defense Service.

The Parachute oval is for the 187th, and is made up of the first version of orange and blue.

The last picture is a patch of the 187th Association. This is sewn on jackets, ect...

post-5554-1265510318.jpg

This last picture is a small case of some of the 187th items in my collection. The pictures in the case are of me, back in 1985-1986.

I hope you all have enjoyed my postings. I will post more later when I have taken pictures of the photo albums. I also have a picture of my helmet with helmet cover that has the Rakkasan Torri drawn on the side with majic marker.

That's all for now, your comments, and feedback are appreciated. Thank you agin for allowing me the opportunity to share some of my collection with all of you..Have a great weekend

Good Luck New Orleans Saints in the Super Bowl....

Leigh...

I was wondering if this Ike jacket w/ the 187th is considered a Rakkasans piece? Seems to be a post war occupation piece.

Here is a few more

post-470-1265598906.jpg

post-470-1265598916.jpg

It is from the 1946 to 1948 time frame with the double collar brass and the 3 stripe sergeant chevrons.

Rob

I know the time period, but is the the 187th PGI the same unit as the Korean War Rakkasans? thanks in advance.

Captainofthe7th

Sorry, I see what you are asking. :) The 187th adopted the name Rakkasan just after WWII when the Japanese began calling the paratroopers Rakkasans. I can't give an exact date, but it's probably safe to say this is a Rakkasan piece.

Rob

• 1 year later...

While we looked at this picture he told me about how mean the guy on the right was, how he would fight at the drop of a hat.

I then asked him about the bandage on his eye, and he said...ohhhh...we'd probably been in a little srap with somebody.

post-25502-1318342900.jpg

2 things...

First, Welcome to the Forum, Glad you were able to find us and join up...

Second: Excellent Photos.. Thanks for posting..

I like seeing that the unit crests on the shoulders are not centered on the shirt as well as on the ike jacket in the follow on picture..

Do you have any of your Uncle's uniforms or insignia?? We would love to see them posted...

What company was your uncle in? I have several 187th rosters..

Leigh..

2 things...

I like seeing that the unit crests on the shoulders are not centered on the shirt as well as on the ike jacket in the follow on picture..

Do you have any of your Uncle's uniforms or insignia?? We would love to see them posted...

Leigh..

You know, I am not sure what company, or even Bn. I'll have to ask him. His name is Titus Bartlett. He missed all three combat jumps, arriving after the third one but saw combat with the RCT, obviously I suppose...the CIB denotes that. I have one of his patches, and his CIB (which has some chipping in the enamel, as well as a set of jump wings. I'll take a few pics and post them.

• 2 weeks later...
2 things...

Leigh..

Sir, were you able to look through the rosters to see if my Uncle was on any of them?

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a few 187th Rakkasan items i have found recently, first is a nice Occupation era-KW era?? khaki shirt with patch and Cpl. stripes that are a bit rough!.....stumbled on it at a local antique mall....next is a earlier 187th patch found a few years ago amongst a ebay patch lot, its unfinished with a slight defect to the lower border, never was sure if it is original or a repro, and i also found at a local militaria show, this incredible reunion cap covered in patches and pins from a former New England Chapter Rakkasan President!........mike

post-350-1319817108.jpg