U.S.N. Corpsman

THAT GUY

Hey guys,

I was lookinginto doing a U.S.N. Corpsman impression. Can anybody list everything i might need for an early war (Guadalcanal) impression? Thanks.

Sam

Hey guys,

I was lookinginto doing a U.S.N. Corpsman impression. Can anybody list everything i might need for an early war (Guadalcanal) impression? Thanks.

Sam

Well, mostly you need to dress like a Marine - that and a medic's bag will pretty much do it. Of course getting those things is the hard part. Being early in the Pacific War, their gear would have had some differences from what they wore or carried during later campaigns: for instance I'm not sure they had the camo hemet covers then.

Here's a website that has great details on medic's kits: http://www.med-dept.com/

To see some good photos of Marines in the Pacific: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...=18&ndsp=18

Hey guys,

Sam

Sam,

If you want to do it right, the first thing you need to do is buy the book "Sailors in Forest Green," by Jeff Warner. There you will find all the information you need. Good luck!

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=22205

Ahoy!

Right on what others have posted so far. At Guadalcanal Marines did not have the Frogskin camo covers for the M1 helmets. These along with the Camo shelterhalfs, ponchos and uniforms make thier first apperance at Tarawa.

Corpsmen even then carried 2 canteens of the 1st pattern (with snaps) or 2nd pattern with LTD fasteners. For a belt knife you can't go wrong with a PAL 36 fixed blade knife. Kabars did not come out in quantity till Tarawa in 43'.

As for other medical type items if you are setting up a display rather than participating in a tactical you will want to consider- non folding style stretcher with mustard colored canvas, IV bottles, perhaps a medical chest, and all the associated paperwork items a FMF Corpsman would have had.

This will get you started.

Transport out

Ahoy!

Right on what others have posted so far. At Guadalcanal Marines did not have the Frogskin camo covers for the M1 helmets. These along with the Camo shelterhalfs, ponchos and uniforms make thier first apperance at Tarawa.

Corpsmen even then carried 2 canteens of the 1st pattern (with snaps) or 2nd pattern with LTD fasteners. For a belt knife you can't go wrong with a PAL 36 fixed blade knife. Kabars did not come out in quantity till Tarawa in 43'.

As for other medical type items if you are setting up a display rather than participating in a tactical you will want to consider- non folding style stretcher with mustard colored canvas, IV bottles, perhaps a medical chest, and all the associated paperwork items a FMF Corpsman would have had.

This will get you started.

Transport out

How much would a pal 36 cost?

Sam

Ahoy:

PAL 36 knives can still be found on ebay. You might try looking at some of the larger military shows such as the Show of Shows that is coming up in February. I lucked up and found one on ebay a few years ago that did not have a sheath, and needed some TLC. After a clean up and treating the leather handle with some saddle soap, and polishing it up, this brought it back to life. As for a new sheath a friend was a saddle maker and cranked out a great looking sheath that is just like the original. Sure Kabar knives came in to general issue in 43' but a PAL 36 will carry you to a time before Pearl Harbor and through the war.

Transport out