US.Navy Pilot.

Darkvalley

Hi!

Now put some photos on forum is hard and limit of size photo is very painfull... I try to put photos by No_outside_hosting but now it is not free...

I have to find another one web tool to upload photos...

Cheers,

Jerry

BlueBookGuy

hello,

yes I'm doing the re-sizing under 150 KB. My WW2 complete mannequinn pilots are:

* one AAF P-38 guy, tropical asset, late 1944, this 100% complete

* one USMC F4U pilot embarked on carrier, springtime 1945, late wartime look (less common as for some items). This less the QAS harness, otherwise complete.

look forwarsd in posting the pics. Regards, Franco.

BlueBookGuy

Will try tomorrow, maybe better if starting a new discussion in the generic "Flight Clothing", something like titled " WW2 AAF and USN life-sized Pilots, from Italy"?

Could regard both of them, here we are in the USN (or USMC) aviator topic.

Franco.

BlueBookGuy

thanks Jerry,

yes best will be a new topic elsewhere. Also I'll exploit this to ask you or other experts whether one of the two dye markers worn by my Corsair guy is correct.

It's a three hollow rivets specimen, similar to the subsequent ones but still the ties are cloth-mede (not nylon). Think this the only point with still some doubts, all the rest is OK. (but you will have an idea by seeing the pics). Definitely I was more keen in AAF or modern USAF and USN aviator's gear.

That F4U pilot was my only WW2 naval guy, so I decided to go toward a late wartime pilot having (a few) more unusual features.

OK thanks again, to next one.

Franco.

BlueBookGuy

hello, Yes it's that !

Did you already see it I presume.. well, yes it's my USMC character. And of course, all the remaining (not all of them are still in collection, presently much less). At least the two from WW2 I'll post with some more detailed pics -

Hope they will be pleasant to see.

Regards, Franco.

Cool collection!

Nice USMC pilot, but as some forum member mentioned I would change a small thing like holster, dye marker and remove a canteen cover adapter.

Cheers,

Jerry

BlueBookGuy

Thanks Jery, I'll look for a more correct dye marker and something ideas for the canteen.

I'd regret to waste the M-3 holster I already was keeping aside (was a "double") - saw subsequently a photo of a VMF-452 Corsair pilot as portrayed on "USS Franklin" in early March 1945, should say it was 100% identical to this pilot so M-3 would be practically correct - altough .38 revolver in its proper holster is a more classic look.

Regards, Franco.

There is nothing wrong with that three rivet dye marker, it is a WWII model. The poster on that thread is basing his knowledge on photos. The one he posted is WWII, however the model you have on your aviator is the other WWII variation.

There are a variety of navy sea markers as per specification changes, manufacturer variation and deviation from specifications that were accepted. For purposes of this discussion I will highlight a couple points.<br />As per other topic the posters recognized WWII riveted sea marker is seen on right in this photo amended from the marker on left.

post-56-0-28232600-1393978748.jpg

The same amendment occurs on the other variant of the sea marker, amended riveted model on right just a Bluebook has. From these markers to the ones seen above they are distinctly different but were manufactured under the same specification and relevant amendments and are simply manufacture variation. On these dye markers seen here note the size of the markings though different are the same manufacturer. This company deviated from original specs with oversized markings reverting back to listed size upon manufacture of the riveted model.

post-56-0-24704200-1393979069.jpg

This is an immediate post war dye marker, it looks similar to the marker above but uses the term "VEST" and does include cotton tie tapes, this marker is the link between dye markers of WWII and the all so common markers found today recognized as having nylon tie tapes. This is a basic crash coarse on navy dye markers.

post-56-0-03513900-1393979429.jpg

BlueBookGuy

thanks so much Dustin!! Dye Markers and their sub-variations were not among my most in-depht subjects. Too many years as a AAF "fan" before switching to other topics,

OK I can keep this one.

Regards

Hi Dustin.

Yes, I know that this model is late war WW2 but it is hard to see this type of three riveted DM hanging on the vest from vintage photos...

The most popular three riveded DM is like Your post: 387:

Franco, Your DM is very very late war and better idea would be find earlier version like in Dustin post: 387 or 388 (left)

Cheers,

Jerry

post-119-0-12437400-1399759063.jpg

Franco, back to the gun. Of course .45 is also good for USMC late war but if You want to keep Your pilot in "classic" look would be cool to find a .38 holster with ammo loops. They are not hard to find at Ebay..

BTW, can You post a pic of VMF-452 Corsair pilot. Would be cool to see it!

Thanks,

Jerry

BlueBookGuy

thanks Jerry for the suggestions.

Will go back on the web looking for that Corsair pilot and will post that picture. hope to find it again in PC's "chronology".

Hi Guys.

Here is another one (probably one of the best item in my collection) new item which I was able to find:

MKIIIa Plotting board. This type of plotting board was smaller version, used in fighter aircraft and also in dive bombers or even OS2U Kingfisher. Bigger version MKVa was used in Avenger (You can see photo of my example on previous pages).

The best thing is that board is named to 6 kills ACE Wallace R. Johnson from VF-15 US NAVY squadron.

Board included his mission maps and all kind of recognition accessories. Maps are from Philippine area included a:

Mindanao, Leyte, Samar islands.

post-119-0-98503200-1399764228.jpg

post-119-0-78203900-1399764245.jpg

post-119-0-06708900-1399764262.jpg

post-119-0-97653900-1399764272.jpg

post-119-0-88553000-1399764281.jpg

post-119-0-60998600-1399764294.jpg

post-119-0-42914900-1399764304.jpg

I noticed some variation of MK3a board's, all are near the same but differences are between a method of attached a plastic board on top and closing the flap. This one have a small metal spring at main part and hanger at the flap. Make a click and top flap is closed.

Here is a manufacture plate (photo is from Ebay auction) my plate is hide by a stuck map.

post-119-0-00910200-1399764574.jpg

BlueBookGuy

A SUPER piece of history !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Already fallen in love... :love: a gem!

A SUPER piece of history !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Already fallen in love... :love: a gem!

Thanks Franco! Yes this plotting board is super cool! I was looking for a MKIIIa version for a long long time!

cheers,

Jerry