US.Navy Pilot.

Hi Dark.

It is not full clear vest. It think for aviation vest would be standard contracted: N288 like other WW2 life aviation vest of US NAVY.

Second model of blue vest for deck personel or other units is also contraced NXSS:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/137338-navy-mae-west-info-needed/

The aviation contract from 1943 could be N288, NOA, NXS or NXSA...plus series number.

Btw Your vest is also cool !!!!!

Cheers,

Jerry

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2019.gif

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This may be a little off topic, but maybe you guys can help. I'm looking for a late war to early 50's USN dye pack. I've seen some identical to the M-566A but marked "Life Vest" rather than "Life Jacket". My question is, what is the difference? Also, I have a shark repellent pack dated 1966. When did they start using the term "repellent" instead of "chaser"? Thanks.

Hi FJ3 NAVY.

It is still US NAVY topic:)

For the 50s NAVY pilot the best in my opinion will be a M556B with three rivets. They are late war WW2 to 50s.

Also the shark chaser from 50s is still with shark chaser ink. Babel put his MKII vest here:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61456

Good photos reference for 50s dye marker(later 50s model than three riveted M556B) and shark chaser.

The best regards,

Jerry

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2019.gif

• 2 months later...

Hi FJ3Navy,

Happy to see some post ww2 USN pilot set. Looking great although the mask is an USAF version. See the harness. Also the mic seems to be not a Navy.

What is the patch on the G-1? I would like to see more close-ups if possible. Details about the logbook?

Thank you.

Franck

The patch is 82nd jet fighter squadron which was received while my pilot was on exchange with the USAF, therefore I can get away with the AF mask. :) Logbook is one I picked up on ebay. It only has a few entries from 1943 I believe. I'd have to double check.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am in awe everytime I look at this thread. I collect USMC/USN aviation myself but had to let some great items go in the past. I was a Rural carrier with the USPS before I retire and used to hunt the stuff on my route. I saw some people moving in to a house and they were getting rid of some stuff, this is some of what I got about ten -twelve years ago. Vet was in the V-5 program and then flew PBM's from what I know. I really need to research him now that there are better records. I bought some of this and was giving some, all from his son.

Terry

post-629-0-04346900-1367269374.jpg

post-629-0-06215000-1367269522.jpg

post-629-0-79533600-1367269529.jpg

You are his witness now, without a witness, they just disappear!

Quote from the movie TAKING CHANCE 2009

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Last with his thoughts written inside his hat and a pic of him.

his name was Lt. (jg) George Schnackenberg

post-629-0-65717400-1367269823.jpg

post-629-0-07633200-1367269836.jpg

post-629-0-11790900-1367269851.jpg

You are his witness now, without a witness, they just disappear!

Quote from the movie TAKING CHANCE 2009

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Jerry

hummmm, Personally I do not think it is for the deck personnal, not because it is mine, but the "S" NXSS for meaning in "other".

One might even guess "type B. ..?"

what was the contract number used by USN in 1943 for aviation ? From when the contract as 288?

No interest to make a life vest this form when there is the necessary equipment for the U.S. Navy ?

not clear on this one!

L.

Ps : I know you're full of S.C :)

Let me try and clear this up a little!

Within the Navy Dept. there are bureaus and one of these bureaus is the Bureau of Ships. The BuShips is a very large entity and comprises of the bulk of the US Navy for obvious reasons. Due to its size it has sub divisons. The general contract prefix code for the BuShips is NOBS from there it is broken down. NOBS is used for purchasing of ships and facilities. To better manage the Bureau procuremnts two other prefixes are used NXSR and NXSS these are sub divisions of NOBS looking somehting like this

NOBS

- NXSR

-NXSS

NOBS covers ships and facitlities/equipment

NXSR- radios and radar or any electronic

NXSS- is for anything that does not fit into those catagories (OTHER) meaning OTHER than ships and electronics. These prefixes are in no way realted to the Bureau of Aeronautics

Contract 288s was used as early as 1941 ( see "us navy contracts in unifroms" forum), NXSA contracts began use in the spring of 1942 as with NOA. The vest of yours was manufactured between March 1943 and July 1943 it was simply manufactured under AAF specification 3135 there for utilizing type designation B-4.

This is a photo displaying life vests and preservers used but the US Navy, USCG and Merchant Marine circa Oct.-Dec. 1943. The back drop is a floating net and on the table are a variety of kapok type vests. In the upper right hand corner is the vest in question. A zoom on the nomenclature is a bit blurry but it can be made out VEST, LIFE PRESERVER TYPE B-4 and on the bottom PROPERTY USN. No other aeronautical equipment is pictured. My point I'm trying to make is that this vest was procured and intended for use on naval vessels. There is a probable that some may have ended up in aeronautical use but that is pure conjuncture. With vintage pictures of aviators there is no way to tell if the vests were factory blue or field applied nor can you actually tell color they could be black, simply darkened. Some vests may be entirely dyed some on one side.

post-56-0-00591400-1370618952.jpg
post-56-0-57932600-1370618965.jpg