US Navy Pilot - Naval Aviator Displays

Darkvalley

Maybe some one have a vintage photo with 37-A-17 mic in using??? Im afraid that these type throat microphnes were using in USN type artilery headset not by aviation personel...

here two rare type of microphone :

RS-76 and 37-A-17

Hi Jerry,

Contrary to popular belief, it appears the 37-A-17 throat mic was part of the USMC contract sound powered phones used by Marine artillery crews and was not an aviation item at all.

post-9787-1292036072.jpg

post-9787-1292036262.jpg

Best regards, Paul

Lightning Ace

I sold my 37- A-17 Throat Mic probably over 6 years ago or more to a collector for $450.

Mike

Thanks for pictures Paul. Very helpful:) I think a lot of people spent big $$$ for this type of throat mic :(((

The best regards,

Jerry K.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What a pity that this topic died:(

Here is my new big Naval Aviation item: RS-76 mic with extension cord in really good condition:) I only paid 150 USD... I have noticed only a few of RS-76 for sale during my collecting time...

enjoy,

Jerry K.

post-369-1296665885.jpg

This item is harder and harder to find... I noticed only a few: one at bellsaviation site for 950, two more at Ebay for 500 or soo and one custom made also at Ebay for 400+...

You had also very interesting items at Your collection Mike like USN seat pack parachute :)

regards,

Jerry

post-369-1296731570.jpg

Congratulations, Jerry! :thumbsup:

You would have one of the nicest USN ww2 collections in Europe!

Franck

Wow Franck! Thanks for words!!!!!!

Im still working at my old torsos display but I will never finished it, I think:)!

regards,

Jerry

• 1 month later...
flight helmets 522
Hi

And thks ^^

Here Two M-450 Helmet.

Both are great looking sets...I love the less common look of the blue lens, Seesall goggles... I have a set like that on an AN-6540 series helmet...

Phil.

flight helmets 522
last one... any coments are welcome!!!

Best regards,

Jerry K.

Jerry, I know a man whose father was a pilot of a USAAF B-25 in the Pacific. He flew the solid nosed model with the extra, fixed guns, similar to what you show here. He primarily carried out low level para-bomb and strafing attacks on shipping and ground targets. All the pics his family has of him in flight or near his plane, show him wearing ball cap and headphones, similar to what you show. He and his crew often wore shorts and t-shirts in the hot weather. They were shot down once and evaded capture for nearly two weeks, before being rescued.

Phil.

Hi Phil.

Nice story! Probably they used more AAF gear than like Navy crews of patrol/bomber planes.

The VPB crews used hole mix of summer, winter, intermediate clothing especially far and far at the North of Pacific.

Here is cool photo of VP-104 crew with Colvinex heated suits, winter M380B boots used with summer flight suit...

Here is my improved crew memember display with AN6552 jacket, M380B boots, 3 fingers intermediate gloves, black/navy wool billed cap and USN headset.

regards,

Jerry

post-369-1301656997.jpg

display

post-369-1301657103.jpg

3 fingers intermediate USN gloves, Taylor Gydeway compass and M575 imperial pocket knife

post-369-1301657262.jpg

Close photo of rigger made ammo loops sewed to the blue heavy cavans sleeve. Cavans is typical for rigger made items.

Regards,

Jerry

post-369-1301657632.jpg

flight helmets 522
3 fingers intermediate USN gloves, Taylor Gydeway compass and M575 imperial pocket knife

Great stuff! Do you have input as to what the pocket knife would be used for that he would hang it from a string for immediate access? What does the red plastic hanging case hold?

Phil.

This items are for survival purpose. The red plastic case is Taylor Gydeway Compass, very often we can see it at the vintage photos from WW2, and pocket knife is M575 imperial pocket knife, used in M592 survival back pad kit and after 44 when back pad kit was removed this type of pocket knife was available in clothing and gear supply catalouqe for pilots and crewmembers. Also the white cord is from M592 back pad kit and after 44 was also available in supply calatouqe as lanyard for knife, compass, whistle, flashlight etc...

Regards,

Jerry

pararaftanr2

Hi Jerry and Phil,

Outstanding display as always Jerry. Your attention to detail puts it over the top.

Since the use of the Gydeway compass has gone undocumented thus far, I thought I'd add some photographic reference for those who are unaware of it.

From a survival equipment display at NAS Norfolk in early 1945:

post-9787-1301751636.jpg

post-9787-1301751675.jpg

post-9787-1301751770.jpg

Some examples of it in use:

post-9787-1301751855.jpg

post-9787-1301752003.jpg

post-9787-1301751946.jpg

Best regards, Paul

Thanks for input Paul.

Here is another one great pic with two M575 pocket knifes hanged at the mae vest.

Regards,

Jerry

post-369-1301764109.jpg

Paul and Jerry,

Hoping this topic will continue with full of detailed informations and pictures as you are sharing with us. Thank you! :thumbsup:

Corsair pilot
Hi All, Hi Jerry,

yes, I saw myself doing the USN pilot because I think this area of collection is much richer in terms of equipment which the AAF.

In France it is very difficult to have the NAF, he takes a patient to make a complete USN pilot.

I hope my photos will be able to please some you!

Reagrds

Laurent (France)

Very impressive.