US Navy Pilot - Naval Aviator Displays

Darkvalley

BlueBookGuy

hello, Yes it's that !

Did you already see it I presume.. well, yes it's my USMC character. And of course, all the remaining (not all of them are still in collection, presently much less). At least the two from WW2 I'll post with some more detailed pics -

Hope they will be pleasant to see.

Regards, Franco.

Cool collection!

Nice USMC pilot, but as some forum member mentioned I would change a small thing like holster, dye marker and remove a canteen cover adapter.

Cheers,

Jerry

BlueBookGuy

Thanks Jery, I'll look for a more correct dye marker and something ideas for the canteen.

I'd regret to waste the M-3 holster I already was keeping aside (was a "double") - saw subsequently a photo of a VMF-452 Corsair pilot as portrayed on "USS Franklin" in early March 1945, should say it was 100% identical to this pilot so M-3 would be practically correct - altough .38 revolver in its proper holster is a more classic look.

Regards, Franco.

There is nothing wrong with that three rivet dye marker, it is a WWII model. The poster on that thread is basing his knowledge on photos. The one he posted is WWII, however the model you have on your aviator is the other WWII variation.

There are a variety of navy sea markers as per specification changes, manufacturer variation and deviation from specifications that were accepted. For purposes of this discussion I will highlight a couple points.<br />As per other topic the posters recognized WWII riveted sea marker is seen on right in this photo amended from the marker on left.

post-56-0-28232600-1393978748.jpg

The same amendment occurs on the other variant of the sea marker, amended riveted model on right just a Bluebook has. From these markers to the ones seen above they are distinctly different but were manufactured under the same specification and relevant amendments and are simply manufacture variation. On these dye markers seen here note the size of the markings though different are the same manufacturer. This company deviated from original specs with oversized markings reverting back to listed size upon manufacture of the riveted model.

post-56-0-24704200-1393979069.jpg

This is an immediate post war dye marker, it looks similar to the marker above but uses the term "VEST" and does include cotton tie tapes, this marker is the link between dye markers of WWII and the all so common markers found today recognized as having nylon tie tapes. This is a basic crash coarse on navy dye markers.

post-56-0-03513900-1393979429.jpg

BlueBookGuy

thanks so much Dustin!! Dye Markers and their sub-variations were not among my most in-depht subjects. Too many years as a AAF "fan" before switching to other topics,

OK I can keep this one.

Regards

Hi Dustin.

Yes, I know that this model is late war WW2 but it is hard to see this type of three riveted DM hanging on the vest from vintage photos...

The most popular three riveded DM is like Your post: 387:

Franco, Your DM is very very late war and better idea would be find earlier version like in Dustin post: 387 or 388 (left)

Cheers,

Jerry

post-119-0-12437400-1399759063.jpg

Franco, back to the gun. Of course .45 is also good for USMC late war but if You want to keep Your pilot in "classic" look would be cool to find a .38 holster with ammo loops. They are not hard to find at Ebay..

BTW, can You post a pic of VMF-452 Corsair pilot. Would be cool to see it!

Thanks,

Jerry

BlueBookGuy

thanks Jerry for the suggestions.

Will go back on the web looking for that Corsair pilot and will post that picture. hope to find it again in PC's "chronology".

Hi Guys.

Here is another one (probably one of the best item in my collection) new item which I was able to find:

MKIIIa Plotting board. This type of plotting board was smaller version, used in fighter aircraft and also in dive bombers or even OS2U Kingfisher. Bigger version MKVa was used in Avenger (You can see photo of my example on previous pages).

The best thing is that board is named to 6 kills ACE Wallace R. Johnson from VF-15 US NAVY squadron.

Board included his mission maps and all kind of recognition accessories. Maps are from Philippine area included a:

Mindanao, Leyte, Samar islands.

post-119-0-98503200-1399764228.jpg

post-119-0-78203900-1399764245.jpg

post-119-0-06708900-1399764262.jpg

post-119-0-97653900-1399764272.jpg

post-119-0-88553000-1399764281.jpg

post-119-0-60998600-1399764294.jpg

post-119-0-42914900-1399764304.jpg

I noticed some variation of MK3a board's, all are near the same but differences are between a method of attached a plastic board on top and closing the flap. This one have a small metal spring at main part and hanger at the flap. Make a click and top flap is closed.

Here is a manufacture plate (photo is from Ebay auction) my plate is hide by a stuck map.

post-119-0-00910200-1399764574.jpg

Here is a VF-15 squadron photo. The Wallace R. Johnson is in back row, 7th from left:

I do not have to introduced a man in first row 4th from right? The best US NAVY ACE in WW2 a David McCampbell.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/OnlineLibrary/photos/images/i06000/i06328l.htm

The best regards,

Jerry

post-119-0-06403900-1399764662.jpg

Here also a small bio of Wallace:

post-119-0-98285500-1399764730.jpg

A SUPER piece of history !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Already fallen in love... :love: a gem!

Thanks Franco! Yes this plotting board is super cool! I was looking for a MKIIIa version for a long long time!

cheers,

Jerry

Thanks for posting pics of this unique item. It is all the more interesting to me as I own Wallace Johnson's flight helmet.

Those plotting boards are not very easy to find. And including all docs and maps from an operation theater and more, belonging to an ace, it's a superb stuff!

Franck

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I was able to fill my rigger made signal pouch. Now looks cool :)

P4170599.jpg

Cheers,

Jerry

Old pics are missing. Here is a good one :)

post-369-0-44083300-1399102551.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Darkvalley

Hi Jerry !!!

How are you?
I see you've found something really interesting. Not easy to find this kit and complete!
I love it!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dark! Yes I was looking kit like this for a long long time!

Im fine. Smooth and easy not too much militaria too buy:) It makes me and my wallet happy :)!

and You?

cheers,

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...
Darkvalley

Hi Jerry

Here is my latest acquisition. failing to read the date correctly, I would like to know if you have any information about this number of contract : NOa(s)-3196 ?

It is complete with canopy. I was looking for a very long time since I already had the harness.

post-8744-0-91606700-1401907455.jpg

Darkvalley

Hi Dustin,

Make by Pioneer Parachute.

ok, as soon as I have some time, I'll take pictures of the raft. ^_^

Thks for your help.

Dark it is my old chute which I sold lasy year to USA :) I supposed that is my example, the same NAVY type, Pioneer, and have a two zip tie at the handle to secure.

The date was (probably)44 in fade blue ink at the bottom front.

Cheers,

Jerry

This contract was awarded in early 1944 and completed in 1944. I suspect that's your primary question. NOa or NOA prefixes are quite common this just means the contract was drafted and negotiated by the BuAer but funded by the BuS&A. It is also a Limited contract meaning it cannot be renegotiated finalized with a fixed price and specific quantity. The little s in parenthesis stands Supplies.