US Navy Pilot - Naval Aviator Displays

Darkvalley

Thanks Jerry.

I haven't been looking long, but those particular dyes and especially "chasers" are being bears to track down. I've found many USAF dye packs from the period, but no luck with the USN yet.

• 2 months later...

Hi FJ3Navy,

Happy to see some post ww2 USN pilot set. Looking great although the mask is an USAF version. See the harness. Also the mic seems to be not a Navy.

What is the patch on the G-1? I would like to see more close-ups if possible. Details about the logbook?

Thank you.

Franck

The patch is 82nd jet fighter squadron which was received while my pilot was on exchange with the USAF, therefore I can get away with the AF mask. :) Logbook is one I picked up on ebay. It only has a few entries from 1943 I believe. I'd have to double check.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am in awe everytime I look at this thread. I collect USMC/USN aviation myself but had to let some great items go in the past. I was a Rural carrier with the USPS before I retire and used to hunt the stuff on my route. I saw some people moving in to a house and they were getting rid of some stuff, this is some of what I got about ten -twelve years ago. Vet was in the V-5 program and then flew PBM's from what I know. I really need to research him now that there are better records. I bought some of this and was giving some, all from his son.

Terry

post-629-0-04346900-1367269374.jpg

post-629-0-06215000-1367269522.jpg

post-629-0-79533600-1367269529.jpg

some more pics

post-629-0-25179100-1367269598.jpg

post-629-0-61574500-1367269607.jpg

post-629-0-99710600-1367269640.jpg

more

post-629-0-76781500-1367269706.jpg

post-629-0-27696400-1367269717.jpg

post-629-0-23998100-1367269740.jpg

post-629-0-11462900-1367269758.jpg

Last with his thoughts written inside his hat and a pic of him.

his name was Lt. (jg) George Schnackenberg

post-629-0-65717400-1367269823.jpg

post-629-0-07633200-1367269836.jpg

post-629-0-11790900-1367269851.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2013 at 8:17 AM, Darkvalley said:

Hi Jerry

hummmm, Personally I do not think it is for the deck personnal, not because it is mine, but the "S" NXSS for meaning in "other".

One might even guess "type B. ..?"

what was the contract number used by USN in 1943 for aviation ? From when the contract as 288?

No interest to make a life vest this form when there is the necessary equipment for the U.S. Navy ?

not clear on this one!

L.

Ps : I know you're full of S.C :)

Let me try and clear this up a little!

Within the Navy Dept. there are bureaus and one of these bureaus is the Bureau of Ships. The BuShips is a very large entity and comprises of the bulk of the US Navy for obvious reasons. Due to its size it has sub divisons. The general contract prefix code for the BuShips is NOBS from there it is broken down. NOBS is used for purchasing of ships and facilities. To better manage the Bureau procuremnts two other prefixes are used NXSR and NXSS these are sub divisions of NOBS looking somehting like this

NOBS

- NXSR

-NXSS

NOBS covers ships and facitlities/equipment

NXSR- radios and radar or any electronic

NXSS- is for anything that does not fit into those catagories (OTHER) meaning OTHER than ships and electronics. These prefixes are in no way realted to the Bureau of Aeronautics

Contract 288s was used as early as 1941 ( see "us navy contracts in unifroms" forum), NXSA contracts began use in the spring of 1942 as with NOA. The vest of yours was manufactured between March 1943 and July 1943 it was simply manufactured under AAF specification 3135 there for utilizing type designation B-4.

This is a photo displaying life vests and preservers used but the US Navy, USCG and Merchant Marine circa Oct.-Dec. 1943. The back drop is a floating net and on the table are a variety of kapok type vests. In the upper right hand corner is the vest in question. A zoom on the nomenclature is a bit blurry but it can be made out VEST, LIFE PRESERVER TYPE B-4 and on the bottom PROPERTY USN. No other aeronautical equipment is pictured. My point I'm trying to make is that this vest was procured and intended for use on naval vessels. There is a probable that some may have ended up in aeronautical use but that is pure conjuncture. With vintage pictures of aviators there is no way to tell if the vests were factory blue or field applied nor can you actually tell color they could be black, simply darkened. Some vests may be entirely dyed some on one side.

post-56-0-00591400-1370618952.jpg
post-56-0-57932600-1370618965.jpg

Thanks Dustin for more clear info about these blue B-4 vest. As I supposed earlier it was manufactured for naval vessels personel..

Cheers,

Jerry

Welcome Jerry, I should also add that the contract on that vest in the pic is the same as the vest pictured here. The zoom is a lot clearer before resizing

Laurent and Jerry, I took a little time and went back to review this thread......Absolutely fantastic stuff and displays....Nice work! I'm impressed!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am a figure sculptor and I utilize 3D scanning and 3D printing in my workflow. I am hoping that members of this community can help me out.

The 3D scanning process is completely non destructive (similar to taking a photograph) and the artifacts will not be worn. All scanning will be done in a clean studio environment. I would pay for all shipping and can sign an agreement that will reimburse the loaner for any damaged or lost artifacts (similar to the agreement a museum would sign). The scanning process in relatively fast and all items will be returned in less than 10 business days. Furthermore if anyone is willing to help me, I can provide you with a 3D printed version of the final product when finished.

Currently I am working on some WW2 USN pilots, so these are the items that I am interested in:

M450 helmet

AN-6530 goggles

Polaroid 1021 goggles

USMC dagger with sheath

A-14 Oxygen mask

Parachute pack

pistol belt

canteen with cover

first aid pouch

boondocker boots (size does not matter)

If anyone has any questions, feel free to let me know. Above all, I am also an enthusiast like everyone on here and am looking to create the most accurate figures possible!

Thanks,

Vince

RustyCanteen

This is a photo displaying life vests and preservers used but the US Navy, USCG and Merchant Marine circa Oct.-Dec. 1943. The back drop is a floating net and on the table are a variety of kapok type vests. In the upper right hand corner is the vest in question. A zoom on the nomenclature is a bit blurry but it can be made out VEST, LIFE PRESERVER TYPE B-4 and on the bottom PROPERTY USN. No other aeronautical equipment is pictured. My point I'm trying to make is that this vest was procured and intended for use on naval vessels. There is a probable that some may have ended up in aeronautical use but that is pure conjuncture. With vintage pictures of aviators there is no way to tell if the vests were factory blue or field applied nor can you actually tell color they could be black, simply darkened. Some vests may be entirely dyed some on one side.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks Dustin for more clear info about these blue B-4 vest. As I supposed earlier it was manufactured for naval vessels personel..

Cheers,

Jerry

I missed this discussion, however I completely agree the blue B-4's were intended for naval vessels and not aviation use. I never ran across anything supporting the theory they were "official" for aviation personnel, but we always know that doesn't rule it out completely.

For what it's worth I have seen a few pictures of aviation crews wearing them (mixed with the normal yellow vests) but they were PBY-PBM crewman IIRC. And I have seen several images of their use on surface vessels, and a couple on subs too.

RC

I missed this discussion, however I completely agree the blue B-4's were intended for naval vessels and not aviation use. I never ran across anything supporting the theory they were "official" for aviation personnel, but we always know that doesn't rule it out completely.

For what it's worth I have seen a few pictures of aviation crews wearing them (mixed with the normal yellow vests) but they were PBY-PBM crewman IIRC. And I have seen several images of their use on surface vessels, and a couple on subs too.

RC

There is no doubt that dyed or painted vests were used by aviation personnel but have yet to see a photo that convinces me the vest, part of the discussion, or the other types with D rings were used. I bet what your seeing with the PBY crewman Rusty, are painted/dyed vests but of course I havn't seen the picture.

Dying or painting was not official but are mentioned in official type records listed as "recommendations/optional".

The Bureau of Ships lists the blue factory vests as Preserver, Life, Vest-Type, Self Inflating

Hi Folks.

I didnt posted some news items here becouse I was bussy at work and my budget now is not too big but of course still in a buissnes:)

Here are some of my new addition:

Very cool rigger made shoulder holster named to USMC aviator http://projects.militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=201069

Holster is made from typicall rigger material: dark blue waterproof canvas, parachute straps, goggle strap for ammo loops, and light green material (the same like in parachute carry bags) for extra personal or survival items pocket.

1l4z.jpg

lhve.jpg

esh7.jpg

fgjz.jpg