US Navy Pilot - Naval Aviator Displays

Darkvalley

You mean how attached the raft kit to the parachute pack?

In early war the raft kit was rigger tacked to the parachute pack in four places... in the mid war rigger started make a two webbing slots at raft case to put there a Q.A.S. parachute pack chest straps( and probably also a rigger tack raft case to the para pack... In the end of 1944 riggers used a new pararaft kit container for raft kit case... Container was also tacked to the harrness and have a slot for Q.A.S. pack chest strap but it was easier to put off the kit... after 44 the container was changed a bit, improved a snap hook and called M641 ( You can find it sometimes at Ebay).

I have a pics of all the pararaft containter from Naval Aviation News but at my home computer...

Cheers,

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys.

I had to moved all of my stuff from familiy home and made a new display in my girlfriend house:) We dont have a lot of space but is not bad:) I added old and new photos.

Enjoy,

Jerry

post-369-1348052795.jpg

Patrol-bomber multi engines aircraft late war crew member

post-369-1348052910.jpg

Flying headgear stuff

post-369-1348053082.jpg

Flying headgear and 1943 fighter pilot torso with early converted Q.A.S. harness from AN6510 seat type parachute(my friend made this conversion for me using all of orginal parts: harness, all of metal parts, hooks and thread)

post-369-1348053161.jpg

Late war manequin

post-369-1348053371.jpg

mixed items part 1

post-369-1348053467.jpg

Mixed items part 2 with rare USN raft charts

post-369-1348053589.jpg

Mixed items part 3

post-369-1348053669.jpg

Late war F6F pilot and pilot's personal equipment from late 1945

post-369-1348053763.jpg

Avenger pilot from 1944

post-369-1348053917.jpg

My favorite display USMC F4U pilot from mid 1943:) with bunch of rare stuff like private purchase, rigger modified shoulder .45 holster

post-369-1348054000.jpg

New cabinet, first level

post-369-1348054191.jpg

Second level and USMC F4U pilot

post-369-1348054321.jpg

Third level and USN carrier pilot

post-369-1348054400.jpg

Fifth level and USMC PBJ crew member from 1944/1945. Fourth level is still under construction:)

post-369-1348054551.jpg

Late war display and pilot's personal equipment part 1

post-369-1348054788.jpg

Late war display and pilot's personal equipment part 2

post-369-1348054886.jpg

And only two toros:(

post-369-1348055306.jpg

Last shot...

I wish to have a more space:( maybe I will make a manequin but I have to talk with my girlfriend firstly:)

Rest items are packed in boxes.

The best regards,

Jerry

post-369-1348055432.jpg

Thanks Franck!

Hmm firstly she had some objections but after small talk is okay:) She like it!

I would like to add a two manequins but it would be more harder to negotiate:(

Cheers,

Jerry

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys.

Winter is comming here and there soo I would like to share a few of US NAVY Aviation winter stuff.

At the begining here is cool photo of US NAVY PBY Catalina crew(more than one, 11 men's) from 1943. They are probably from VP-61 squadron based in Umnak Island, Alaska but Im not sure!

Most of the crew from photo are wearing a full US NAVY winter sets included a: M445A jackets, 446A trousers(III model with two unsnaped pockets at the front), M380B boots, intermediate 5-fingers leather gloves with fur at the cuffs and USN winter B-2 caps.

vp601.jpg

But not all of the crews wearing the the same uniform. The three men first from the left of second line(probably they are pilot, co-pilot and navigator) wearing the electric heated flight suit M456A( A from 1st model) made by Colvinex company N.Y.

The M456A suit is cooperated with M456A (B7) boots and M456A (G9) gloves. The gloves can be found at pic also in another crew members. They characterized by no fur and two small silver snaps near the cuffs. The snaps were closed to the suit special tapes connectors(two for hands and two for legs) and heating circle was ready.

vp602.jpg

I dont know why but the officers with M456A suit dont have a Colvinex boots. The one boot is visible on the far left. Two zipper lines, and one zipper pull closed at the bottom, for sure it is M380B boots. M456A Colvinex boots have only one zipper line. Another small details: the special connector tape from the suit is visible still closed and not connected to the boots that provides me that boots are M380B not electric heated M456A.

vp602.jpg

Here is my display included the same configuration of uniform as above:)

dsc05023tu.jpg

dsc05024e.jpg

Another small detail. The men from far right, first line(probably a gunner) have a very interesting item. Winter heavy fur lined US NAVY three fingers mittens.

vp603.jpg

I made small display also represent the same configuration: USN B-2 cap converted from leather NAVY helmet(1092L), silk parachute scarf and TH-37 headset with covered earphones by brown leather earcups.

dsc05037oj.jpg

dsc05029g.jpg

I can recognize three types of NAVY B2 cap: standard NAVY contraced B-2 cap, converted from leather or sheepskin lined helmet(1092L or 1092W) and private purchase B-2 cap(last two cap have always a green material under the bill).

I know that most of forum members dont care about this thread but I think the winter USN aviation clothing is something more special :)

The best regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I'm agree with you. Thank you for this display and all explanations about what I believe are not well-known USN equipments. You have noted that this leather suit was still in use in Korean war. ;)

Franck

Hi Franck :)

Yes of course(thanks for great photos). The later suit used in Korea was a II model M456B with a little bit different gloves(M456B - G-11).

You should make a post WW2 impression with electric heated suit:)

The best regards,

Jerry

And here is a correct side:

dsc05039b.jpg

Aircraft paint (probably a non-specular blue-grey color) for camuflage in the water aginst a Japan partol plane or ships and avoid to be a captured....

It is a very commom practise made by US NAVY pilot at PTO...

usn088.jpg

Here is a cover for famous book written by LtCdr Everett C. Hargreaves: Son of A Preacher - A Hellcat Ace's Memoirs. We can see a painted blue life preserver used by a pilot of the left side...

Enjoy,

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Very nice with this paint !!!!! :)

the only one I have is this blue but made of origin.

this is not easy to find!

my shark chaser dates from after the war! impossible to find a good one!

post-8744-0-63369600-1358095341_thumb.jpg

1943 !

post-8744-0-79428600-1358095600_thumb.jpg

we can see the difference in the lifejacket that are yellow and blue ones.

post-8744-0-81304900-1358096166_thumb.jpg

Hi Dark!

Nice vest, it is probably a early model of deck personel life vest. It is contraced NXSS, not a aviation contract, but for sure pilot used this type of vest from deck crew ocassionaly.

WW2 S.C is a hard item to find:( but good luck with find one!

Cheers,

Jerry

Corpsmancollector

Jerry, Laurent,

Some fantastic US Navy aviation items, what a great topic to read! The displays are a pleasure to look at...

Thanks for posting,

Will

Hi Jerry

hummmm, Personally I do not think it is for the deck personnal, not because it is mine, but the "S" NXSS for meaning in "other".

One might even guess "type B. ..?"

what was the contract number used by USN in 1943 for aviation ? From when the contract as 288?

No interest to make a life vest this form when there is the necessary equipment for the U.S. Navy ?

not clear on this one!

L.

Ps : I know you're full of S.C :)

Hi Dark.

It is not full clear vest. It think for aviation vest would be standard contracted: N288 like other WW2 life aviation vest of US NAVY.

Second model of blue vest for deck personel or other units is also contraced NXSS:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/137338-navy-mae-west-info-needed/

The aviation contract from 1943 could be N288, NOA, NXS or NXSA...plus series number.

Btw Your vest is also cool !!!!!

Cheers,

Jerry

This may be a little off topic, but maybe you guys can help. I'm looking for a late war to early 50's USN dye pack. I've seen some identical to the M-566A but marked "Life Vest" rather than "Life Jacket". My question is, what is the difference? Also, I have a shark repellent pack dated 1966. When did they start using the term "repellent" instead of "chaser"? Thanks.

Hi FJ3 NAVY.

It is still US NAVY topic:)

For the 50s NAVY pilot the best in my opinion will be a M556B with three rivets. They are late war WW2 to 50s.

Also the shark chaser from 50s is still with shark chaser ink. Babel put his MKII vest here:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61456

Good photos reference for 50s dye marker(later 50s model than three riveted M556B) and shark chaser.

The best regards,

Jerry