US Navy Pilot - Naval Aviator Displays

Darkvalley

Lightning Ace

Hi Jordan,

your right, that's who I was talking about. The Navy in WW II seemed to have better clothes and helmets and etc then the other Services.

I reserved a table this weekend for the Olympic Flight Museum Military Show and Sale, are you going to be able to attend?

Mike

Mike, You wouldn't happen to be talking about my Uncle and Great Uncle would you? :) Because I know he preferred the navy flight helmet over his AAF one.

strayduck230

Yep, I have a couple display tables reserved. I am bringing out my USAAF stuff that I have been hunting down the past 5 years. It will be my first public display for Air Corps items. I will see you there! Sounds like it is going to be a big show. (compared to years past).

And excellent navy items everyone! Once I get my bomber crewman display finished I would love to start a PTO pilot display!

Hi Jordan,

your right, that's who I was talking about. The Navy in WW II seemed to have better clothes and helmets and etc then the other Services.

I reserved a table this weekend for the Olympic Flight Museum Military Show and Sale, are you going to be able to attend?

Mike

pararaftanr2

Hello all,

Thank you Franck and Laurent for sharing your excellent impressions. It's always a pleasure to see your work.

I would have to agree that the 37-A-17 mic was not an aviation microphone and is not compatible with aviation radio equipment. It is, in fact, sound powered, not electrical, therefore there is no means to connect it to an aviation radio. If you happen to have an extension cord, or push-to-talk switch, for the RS-76 throat mic, you will see that although the connector looks similar, they are not compatible. The idea that this mic is aviation related started over twenty years ago when a collector acquired one from the effects of a Navy pilot veteran and made the natural assumption that it was aviation related. This information was then contributed to a well known reference book on flight helmets and repeated again in a more recent Naval Aviation reference book. Unfortunately, it would appear that neither author had any additional original sources to verify this as a Naval Aviation item. In the recent past, I have had examples of both the 37-A-17 and a USMC contract sound powered "talker's" headset and can confirm that they are truely compatible. Having paid a rather high price for a 37-A-17 myself, I was not too happy to make this discovery a few years ago. Best regards, Paul

post-9787-1332940208.jpg

post-9787-1332940238.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys.

I didnt buy a lot of stuff in past months but was able to equip my manequin with great WW2 item: Shark Chaser. It is true WW2 version of S.C. The post war is a little bit different, stamps are bigger and arrows are in different shape. I had post war version in the past...

Enjoy,

Jerry

post-369-1334177812.jpg

Here is photo of USMC pilots from VMF-441. Two of them have a Shark Chaser.

Another one close photo of WW2 S.C. used by USMC pilot during the training on F-7F Tigercats at Cherry Point, N.C., July 23, 1945(photo from www.pilotsmanyourplanes.com site).

You can see very clearly the details of stamps:)

cheers,

Jerry

post-369-1334178195.jpg

post-369-1334178271.jpg

Here are another two small rare items: CBI printed patch and panel emergency signals instruction.

post-369-1334663445.jpg

Here is example of Naval Aviators photo with this type of patch.

Cheers,

Jerry

post-369-1334663704.jpg

Hi Jerry

Not easy to tell the difference with those just after the war for the Shark Chaser, Apart from the snap ans conton strap ?

Laurent

flight helmets 522
Some photos we made yesterday from the Darkvalley's collection: USN pilots 1944 and 1945.

usnlaurent1944.jpgusnlaurent1946.jpg

Very cool... Like stepping back in time...

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys.

I would like to share with You my upgrade display of USMC aviator from 1943 Salomon islands campaign. I was inspired to take a photos by a new book from Gregory Pons about USMC aviators in WW2: http://www.eden-mili-arts.com/index.php?lang=english It is the first and the best book about this subject for sure, thanks Greg!

post-369-1341861502.jpg

Okay let's go:

It is standard USMC pilot gear from 1943:

khaki summer service unifrom(shirt, pants and belt), M421a summer flying jacket, USMC boondockers shoes, AAF B-3 vest, M556 dye marker, early signal mirror with chamois cover and lanyard, early war dark brown flying gloves.

post-369-1341861773.jpg

Some more details:

USMC: S. Froehlich 1943 dated pistol belt and magazine pouch, M1912 first aid kit, canteen and cover, early USN PAL-37 knife and compass pouch with compass( a lot of USMC pilots used a belt type compass pouch and compass in 1943 and later).

post-369-1341862128.jpg

More:

Some of USMC aviators used a rigger made or private purchase holster for .45 1911 Colt. Before the 1943 Army didnt produced a shoulder holster.

Here is great example of private purchase holster modified by riggers: added a magazine pocket made from parachute/M592 pack material, chest and waist secure strap with CARR UNITED silver snaps. ( I was able to get this holster by a GREG PONS! THANKS GREG!)

post-369-1341862556.jpg

Details of chest and waist secure straps...

post-369-1341862818.jpg

post-369-1341862870.jpg

I dont have a WW2 .45 1911 Colt but I used a kind of trick:) In early war the USMC and USN aviators used a oiled piece of material to protect his guns against a water( in late war they introduced a waterproof cover for .45 Colt and .38 S&W revolver). I do the same with dummy gun covered by old piece from USMC summer service shirt. Look not bad...

post-369-1341863584.jpg

Last shots:

M450 helmet with brown earcups and left sided TH-37 earphones. Google are private purchase HB-rocket plus red bandana around the neck:)

post-369-1341864016.jpg

another side!

post-369-1341864054.jpg

Classic early days of war item: RS-76 throat mic.

post-369-1341864135.jpg

Some of inspiration:

Robert G. Owens VMF-215

post-369-1341870444.jpg

VMF-214

post-369-1341870591.jpg

Arthur Roger VMF-215

post-369-1341870666.jpg

USN VT squadron

enjoy,

Jerry

post-369-1341870976.jpg

Details of chest and waist secure straps...

Amazing setup Jerry. I love the rigger modified holster. Those are items you know for sure saw action in the pacific.

In this last picture with the pilot sitting in the cockpit it looks like he is wearing a M450 helmet with volcano earcups covered in chamois to hold them in place. It is hard to tell from the picture if the earcups are TC66 or open volcano earcups made for the ANBH1A receivers (it does look like the Flat sided ANB-H1A is installed a Telephonics rubber cord). THis setup looks like one of the helmets I recently acquired:

060a4.jpg

060a1.jpg

060a8.jpg

060a7.jpg

060a6.jpg

Hi Alls ! Hi Jerry !

Nice Vulvano my friend !! If you want to donate, let me know :lol:

Beautiful holster, Jerry! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Impossible for me to find one!

Hi Jerry,

here, my last purchase. parachute USN type and AN-6520-1 canopy life raft.

Not easy to find today this type of parachute with crossed straps, I own two.

post-8744-1342964956.jpg

parachute

post-8744-1342965013.jpg

I know this set :) from Bruno collection !

The pack is full with canopy? Nice A6520-1 life raft, it is rare item!

I also have one 50 % complete but without raft :(

cheers,

Jerry

Main case...

post-369-1342984018.jpg

Contents: Sea Anchor, Bailing Cup and one from 3 dye marker(M566B type)

post-369-1342984149.jpg

First aid kit, inspected and removed: 1 box 6 morphine syrettes & iodine applicator, taped together.

post-369-1342984259.jpg

You have the eye! is that it is recognizable with the tag ripped on the left strap.

Mine is empty. I bought it all just to cover the raft, for my first parachute, as a result I do not know if I kept this harness, I still hesitated.

We know the price of a syrettes of morphine!

in my M-592 kit, I also have 6! a small fortune for these syrettes are not empty!

Top of the case with stamps: AN6520-1

post-369-1342984651.jpg

Kit specification AN6520-1 ( in this case it is AN-R-2b made only for NAVY)

cheers,

Jerry

post-369-1342985583.jpg

Yes ,I know this parachute very well :)

I guess the best option would be save a raft kit and sell the parachute( I dont have a good feeling about all of these empty "Standard parachute co." packs converted for Q.A.S. and Seat type parachute...

Yeah full syrettes of morphine are a small fortune:)))

Cheers,

Jerry

You have the eye! is that it is recognizable with the tag ripped on the left strap.

Mine is empty. I bought it all just to cover the raft, for my first parachute, as a result I do not know if I kept this harness, I still hesitated.

We know the price of a syrettes of morphine!

in my M-592 kit, I also have 6! a small fortune for these syrettes are not empty!