US Navy Pilot - Naval Aviator Displays

Darkvalley

Lot of great pieces here.. I am hoping after getting a few more aviator medal groupings to start collecting flight gear and uniforms...

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks TOM. I have put there some new pics but dont have too much time right now :(

Cheers,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I'm a new forum member and being a collector of US Naval Aviation items I caught up with this thread. I was absolutely and thoughly impressed with your items and the talent you have for display. When I am capable of posting "New Topics" I'll post photos of a few of my more interesting USN flight helmets. Again, very impressive, thanks for sharing.

HI Scarecrow thanks for words. I really appreciate it:) Always I try to make very good display and used all stuff which was carried by Naval Aviators in WW2.

Here is my manequin update: AN6519 late war life vest with rigger added two pocket for MKI MOD 0 flare. One pocket is made from full yellow rubber and another one from yellow/grey rubber.

post-369-1320079034.jpg

Closer photo.

post-369-1320079115.jpg

One pocket for MKI MOD 0 flare and two flares.

post-369-1320079240.jpg

post-369-1320079249.jpg

Late war AN6542 summer flying helmet with ealry boom mike, 1065 flying goggle and vintage aviator sunglasses.

post-369-1320079331.jpg

We can see there also rigger modified pocket from M592 kit to a shoulder Case XX machete sheath, rigger made note pad and ammo waist belt, summer flying gloves, wrist compas, U.S Navy contraced wrist watch, .38 holster with ammo loops, brown lanyard whistle and survival light.

Enjoy,

Jerry

post-369-1320079846.jpg

Hi everyone.

I'd like to share with you a great website about US NAVY AVIATION equipment and clothing from World War Two. The author of the site is a good friend of mine pararaftanr2. I think it would be the best source of any information about this subject. For sure all of this information there, will be covered in book(in future) but for now we have a website: http://pilotsmanyourplanes.com/

Enjoy and any comments will be appreciated.

The best regards,

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...
Lightning Ace

Way to go Jerry I'm really glad you finally found one. I couldn't make out the number on it and if it had an NXS before it but I can't remember if mine had one either or if they even put the letters on the penlight like other WW II items. I still don't know why the USN in WW II never dated items like the USAAF did.

Mike

PROPERTY US NAVY signature.

Thanks guys:)

Yes Mike Im glad that I could find one example:)

It have a WW2 contract N288 at the metal clip. It is easy to recognize A-6B penlight from WW2 becouse they have smaller metal clip than post war version and of course different signatures like: PROPRTY US NAVY or PROPERTY AF US ARMY(if I remember correct about AF example)

The best regards,

Jerry

Lightning Ace

After having both the USN Penlight and the Army Air Force Penlight with its box I forgot the N288 was on the metal clip of the Navy penlight. I really tried to find you a WW II USN Penlight but only post war penlights were coming up for sale.

Alright Jerry so what are you looking for now for your collection?

Thanks guys:)

Yes Mike Im glad that I could find one example:)

It have a WW2 contract N288 at the metal clip. It is easy to recognize A-6B penlight from WW2 becouse they have smaller metal clip than post war version and of course different signatures like: PROPRTY US NAVY or PROPERTY AF US ARMY(if I remember correct about AF example)

The best regards,

Jerry

Lightning Ace

Jerry,

seeing your collection from time to time almost makes me want to start collecting again. The only thing left to sell in my WW II Aviation collection of 17years is a WW II USN B-24 pilot's grouping and some original Hollywood Canteen Postcards with some signed from movie stars a local 8th AF veteran danced with during the war and had signed.

I'm not completely out of collecting because I'm collecting WW II P-38 Lightning memorabilia which won't be as overwhelming as having 2 rooms in my home set up like a museum. I'm including here a couple pictures of my hallway in my home with some of my P-38 Lightning memorabilia of which I've added a couple more items since this picture was taken and I also have trench art and etc in my den.

The wood sign in the second picture was made and given to me, for no charge, from the owner of Flightlinefabrications.com because I had got to fly in the P-38 Lightning called 23 Skidoo, nice sign and nice guy, huh? He has really neat items for sale on his web site.post-9389-1322707792.jpgpost-9389-1322707830.jpg

Hi Mike.

Thanks for words. I remember photos of Your old collection with two manequins, You had some nice stuff included USN seat type parachute and very nice headgear items and many many more:) Your modern room looks awsome, I like all of this Aircraft pictures in frame and some pilot photos! In free time you can post photos of WW II USN B-24 pilot's grouping ? I would like to see it:)

Wow which items Im looking for now ? List is long like hell:(((( I would like to find WW2 USN shark chaser to my manequin...

The best regards,

Jerry

• 3 months later...

Hi alls !!

I put my collection a little aside, but my friend Frank came to do a photo essay, and hope you like them ^^

Regards

Laurent

Nice photos Franck and Dark:)

The second pilot impression looks like have a e 37-A-17 throat mic. It was part of the USMC contract sound powered phones used by Marine artillery crews and it is not aviation item. Another collector myth/item about which we can read in two books including Naval Aviation subject. But for bad luck this item was'nt used by USN or USMC pilots:(((

I think in 44/45 the fighter pilot used more A-14 oxygen mask with mic. inside than any type of throat mic.

Cheers,

Jerry

I see you have the sharp eye!

Difficult to be categorical about this microphone. Indeed, in times of war, especially on aircraft carriers, all types of material could be diverted for other purposes. Indeed there is no evidence that could be used but also there is no evidence to the contrary. I personally have a microphone manufacturing civil but was repackaged with a catch "army" warning of a single lot of a pilot USN WWII.

The best example is the helmet of "yellow dogs" largely hijacked by the pilots ... I do research in sense and I will come back to you....

Laurent

Hi Guys.

Of course the 37-A-17 throat mic. could be used by Navy pilot. Would be nice to find any photo with this type of throat mic. The same like example of Wilson MKII goggle. But for now, I didnt see any proof photos or example( Wilson MKII goggle) with both items:(

For now this type of throat mic. is more for USMC sound powered phones than for pilots:( I know that a lot of people paied a lot of money for this mic. becouse it is in two books only:((((

Cant wait to see the M.mag with Yours article!

The best regards,

Jerry

Lightning Ace

Laurent

I have to agree with you about the Microphone and would believe that if you needed a mic and this one worked, you'd use it and I have a friend who's uncle and his crew in the USAAF on B-17's, were, before they went overseas to be attached to the 8th AF, were issued USN flight helmets and they sewed their AAF leather name tags on the helmets and I've seen the helmets. There were AAF pilots and etc wearing Tanker jackets and RAF flight boots and I also have pictures of some P-38 pilots wearing the high top infantry buckle boots. I would just have to believe that if your in a combat zone where alot of times things weren't so regimentary especially on some islands in the PTO, you'd grab anything to use, if you needed it.

Mike

I see you have the sharp eye!

Difficult to be categorical about this microphone. Indeed, in times of war, especially on aircraft carriers, all types of material could be diverted for other purposes. Indeed there is no evidence that could be used but also there is no evidence to the contrary. I personally have a microphone manufacturing civil but was repackaged with a catch "army" warning of a single lot of a pilot USN WWII.

The best example is the helmet of "yellow dogs" largely hijacked by the pilots ... I do research in sense and I will come back to you....

Laurent

strayduck230

Mike, You wouldn't happen to be talking about my Uncle and Great Uncle would you? :) Because I know he preferred the navy flight helmet over his AAF one.

Laurent

I have to agree with you about the Microphone and would believe that if you needed a mic and this one worked, you'd use it and I have a friend who's uncle and his crew in the USAAF on B-17's, were, before they went overseas to be attached to the 8th AF, were issued USN flight helmets and they sewed their AAF leather name tags on the helmets and I've seen the helmets. There were AAF pilots and etc wearing Tanker jackets and RAF flight boots and I also have pictures of some P-38 pilots wearing the high top infantry buckle boots. I would just have to believe that if your in a combat zone where alot of times things weren't so regimentary especially on some islands in the PTO, you'd grab anything to use, if you needed it.

Mike