QUESTION ON BUTTONS

cpatrick

I thought that this would be the most appropriate place to ask this question, because of their obvious association with this catagory. My question is:

Did the United States contract with foreign manufacturer's during peace time for the procurement of buttons?

I ask this, because many war-time uniforms, especially WWI&II, have foreign made buttons on them.

The second part to my question is: If this is indeed the case, did foreign manufacturer's produce these buttons to augment the U.S. button supply? Or did they do this purely for entrepenuerial purposes, i.e. - to make money off those "over-payed & over sexed" Yanks?

Chris

Bill in VA

They did, at least through the Civil War era. I have a number of Civil War-era buttons made by companies such as HV Allien of London, and a Confederate button made by S. Buckley of Birmingham.

Bob Hudson
I thought that this would be the most appropriate place to ask this question, because of their obvious association with this catagory. My question is:

Did the United States contract with foreign manufacturer's during peace time for the procurement of buttons?

I ask this, because many war-time uniforms, especially WWI&II, have foreign made buttons on them.

The second part to my question is: If this is indeed the case, did foreign manufacturer's produce these buttons to augment the U.S. button supply? Or did they do this purely for entrepenuerial purposes, i.e. - to make money off those "over-payed & over sexed" Yanks?

Chris

In WW's I and II there was also an effort to help the economies of allies by contracting some manufacturing to them. Of course some stocks of materials such as buttons may also have been purchased before the war. I seem to recall reading somewhere recently about the US using a German made item in WWI (I think it was a compass).

Officer's uniforms were (are) not issued by the Government but had to be purchased from private companies or tailors. These companies would get the buttons from what ever source they felt provided the best quality and price. The government was not involved other than to set the standard. As for EM uniforms they should have US made buttons unless they were procured in another country. The government bought uniforms made in England and Australia during the war and from several other countries right after, these would have buttons made where the uniform was. There is also the chance an EM would lose a button or two off his American made uniform in another country and replace them with buttons made there.

Thanks everyone for your replies! It's a very obscure topic, and I am surprised that I was able to get the information that I did. Thanks!

Chris

Thanks everyone for your replies! It's a very obscure topic, and I am surprised that I was able to get the information that I did. Thanks!

Chris

Seeing this post triggered an old question. I picked up the pictured button in an antique shop in Philadeplphia many years ago. Can anyone on the Forum tell me when and where it was worn? The back says "Warranted - Double plated"

Any info on what it's worth would be appreciated also.

Semper Fi....Bobgee

Old_Button_OBV.JPG

Old_Button_REV.JPG

Tice's book was lost during my last move, but I believe that this one dates from the 1820-40 period. The style of the eagle, and the reverse of the button is a good indicator.

Chris

Tice's book was lost during my last move, but I believe that this one dates from the 1820-40 period. The style of the eagle, and the reverse of the button is a good indicator.

Chris

I believe "Excelsior" was commonly used in NY militia items. Certainly it appeared on NY helmet plates in the late 19th century.

G