50's USN pilots display

Bebel

All that are showed here are from the 50's.

1) H-3 helmet, USN B8 style goggles, MS20001 mask (USN version), MIL-S-5390B flying suit, MKII life preserver with accessories (vest light,, shark shaser, dye marker, 2 distress signals, whistle), Z-3 anti-g pants, USN boondockers.

collection010309015.jpg

2) The same with Z2 one piece anti blackout coverall.

usnz2002.jpg

usnz2012.jpg

3) End of 50's pilot with G-1 flight leather jacket (Mil-J-7823) and Mk2 mae west (second version with 4 larger pouches than early version in the pics above)

usn002.jpg

4) H-4 helmet with USN type II goggles (specially made for USN "H serie" helmets), MS2001 mask USN version, MK2 second model life preserver, Mil-S-5390B flight suit and USMC boondockers.

usn008.jpg

5) G-1 jacket from the VF-23 Cmdr (1954/1956 - flying on Banshees). This man was a vet of 1945 Okinawa and Philipinnes campaigns servicing in the VF-40.

collection090609002.jpg

Enjoy: I hope that others members of this forum will share there pictures about this thema! :thumbsup:

Salut Franck,

Toujours aussi beaux tes mannequins !

Comme je me le dis, un jour je vais craquer ! je vais basculer dans les années 50 .... ;)

Laurent

Hello Franck,

Very beautiful displays ! :thumbsup:

Congratulations. Your "war room" looks great too. ;)

I particularly like the G-1 on the last picture (VF-23).

Thanks for sharing.

Tim.

Thank you for your nice comments Tim and Laurent. :thumbsup:

Another picture of an USN pilot with his Z2 antiblackout suit protected under a type M668 suit from end of ww2 (used before the 5390B version in 1951).

20091030028.jpg

20091030035.jpg

Bebel,

Always great to see your gear. I will post some pictures of my H-4 helmet I just received. Now that I have seen your goggles I see there were 2 versions! So I did get the right ones :thumbsup:

Very nice displays, and yes the "Live" mannequin is a very nice touch!

Frank, belle affiche, j'aime beaucoup votre collection. Pardonnez mon français que je suis rouillé. Votre ami Daniel

r- Gy Dan

Hi all

Thank you very much for all your kind appreciation! But I regret that we cannot see some other US flightgears collections from these period. Am I alone in this domain? :unsure:

Daniel,

The "live" mannequin is photos taken for a future article about these gears as I have already published about Korean war USAF pilot and Indochina war french navy pilot.

I am waiting your H4 pictures. There were some USN flight goggles versions. Those with a complete strap and those specially developped for H3 and H4 helmet with also some "under models" for the snapped strap. All would be "USN" marked.

Your french seems to be higher than my english! :thumbsup:

Franck

• 1 year later...

VF-62 "Boomerangs" pilot (1958). Typical flightgears from this era are:

- APH-5 helmet with MS-22001 mask (with the newly Hardmann bayonets system)

- 5390D "Indian orange" flight suit

- MK-2 life vest (late model with 4 pockets for survival accessories)

- USN "boondockers" shoes

- Z-3 anti-g garnment

- B-3A flight gloves

- jet pilot survival knife (1st model with the 6' blade)

- checklist in pockets

Although at this same time, new generation aircrafts and flight equipments are beginning to arrive...

usnbobbruning001.jpg

usnbobbruning008.jpg

usnbobbruning004.jpg

usnbobbruning016.jpg

This is just a fantastic collection.

A long time ago this is some of the 50s flying gear I used to collect, but to be honest only had a small fraction compared to this.

The orange uniforms are super , including the helmet.

Thanks for showing us how its done .

owemn

• 3 weeks later...

Nice idea to put vintage photo as a background for a display:)

I have a question about your B-3A brown gloves... they are MIL 50s contracted or WW2 example?

Regards,

Jerry

Lightning Ace

I'm really impressed and these 1950's USN pilot displays and items I believe would be harder to find then the WW II Aviation items.

I've been going to military shows since the late 1970's and I don't remember 50's USN aviation items like you have showing up hardly at all to even start a collection to display like you have, in fact I've never even met an early 50's USN pilot in all of the years I was collecting but if I would have it would've been really neat.

It's certainly a collection thema that is less common than ww2. But there are some other peoples who collect such early jet era stuffs. However I regret that they do not share on forum.

Franck

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen very many of those 50's items anywhere, and I've been to a lot of shows.

To add to the awesome, unique collection; your photographic skills are second to none! Really enjoyed the displays.

Harlan,

Thank you for your nice comment.

An article about USN pilot flightgears has been published in the last "Militaria" french magazine copy.

Franck

article001.jpg

article002.jpg

article003.jpg

Outstanding Collection you have got there really liked looking through the 1950's USN Pilots Equipment & Flight Helmets

truely amazing Very Well Displayed Excellent, and thanks for sharing it with us That is one Collection to be Very Proud Of :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

I tried to show flightgears from other way. Here is one test.

About 1951 USN flightgears:

- tan flight suit spéc 5390B

- anti-blackout suit type Z

- H-3 helmet (1st version)

- MS-22001 mask with USN contract

- Boondockers

- Mk2 life preserver

- B-3A flight gloves

Mark-2A clipboard is more recent (from the 60's). It's only to complete the display.

Franck

usn1951.jpg

Whoaa, Frank, I just saw this post and it is amazing!!! I wish I had the space to display full mannequins like this. Congrats!!!

It's certainly a collection thema that is less common than ww2. But there are some other peoples who collect such early jet era stuffs. However I regret that they do not share on forum.

Franck

Yeah i have the same problem with WWII Naval flight helmets, no one shares anything and i am the only one who does and post on the forum. Kind of odd if you ask me :)

Harlan,

Thank you for your nice comment.

An article about USN pilot flightgears has been published in the last "Militaria" french magazine copy.

Franck

article001.jpg

article002.jpg

article003.jpg

Could you show us what the cover looks like?

Leonardo

Yeah i have the same problem with WWII Naval flight helmets, no one shares anything and i am the only one who does and post on the forum. Kind of odd if you ask me :)

Thank you for your comments.

According with you, I do not see a lot of USN flying equipments collectors on this forum. A few other members like Jerry_k, Darkvalley (a friend of mine by which I am going to make photos for a next article about an USN pilot's career) or Lightning ace were collecting and sharing some ww2 USN flightgears. But I do no more read from them for a time. I am sure there are some other collectors but where are they? WW2 pilots collections are certainly more common than my cold war flightgears thema. But yes, we do not see so much posts as we could expect... It's a shame. I'm sure that there might be beautiful collections to see and that the Web is a good vector to share.

Neverthless, there is a great post about ww2 US Navy pilots in the Display forum and I believe that a lot of members are reading our posts.

I am always enjoying to see your stuffs here or on VLJ. Please continue to show your treasures! :thumbsup:

Franck

AAF_Collection

Hi Franck,

I do enjoy looking at your displays but I'm afraid I can't add any photos as I don't have much Cold War era flight gear,although it is something I would like to get into collecting,with an emphasis on USAFE in the 40's and 50's. The problem is funds and space,both of which are limited.

On another note I wish the English edition of Militaria was still produced,maybe I should learn to read French!.

Matt.