50's USN pilots display

Bebel

Nice new addition Franck!!!:) You have a very very nice stuff!

Here is also another one WW2 Naval Aviation stuff collector: pararaftanr2 and owner of the www.pilotsmanyourplanes.com website:)

Cheers,

Jerry

Thanks for your nice comments, gentlemen. :rolleyes:

Matt,

I am enjoying to collect this thema of vintage US aviation that I always liked. But I would also like to collect some other additional themas. Funds and space, and knowledge and time in addition, are missing a little. So I keep my "specialization" only in this collection. You can see these old posts and others about cold war US aviation (click on each link): USAF blue flightgears or USAF cold war pilots or Korean war pilots or My collection

I may improve my english but I am lucky enough to read some good pilots memories in english!

Jerry,

Yes I was forgotten this great collector. Sorry!

Tomorrow, I will go by my friend Laurent (Darkvalley on the forum - see his post about US Navy pilots) to make photos of USN pilots from 1944 to 1960 for my next article in Militaria! :thumbsup:

Franck

• 3 weeks later...

post-5716-1334327516.jpg

Really enjoyed your collection!

I recently aquired a H-3 or H-4 flight helmet. Can you help identify the paint scheme? I'll try and attach another photo of the front.

Skip,

Thank you for showing your H-3. Painted H-3/H-4 are not so common. Lightning bolts are typical schemes from this era but sorry, I cannot tell you what's unit. Mpreover, helmet paint schemes are often personal schemes and did not reflect a particular squadron. Metallic color on the micro plate and straps is not very conmmon.

I'am sorru to cannot tell you more about your helmet. Do you collect aviation stuffs?

Franck

The MA-2 torso harness (spéc. Mil-S-19089 (AER)) was designed for pilots operating aircraft with an integrated restraint system like the A4-D from 1955.

1) 1955 1st version designed for new A-4D ejection seat. This harness is associated with the also new MK-3C life preserver. The MK-3C first design had yellow straps to hold it over the harness.

Note the additional pockets for survival PSK-2 kit which were added on each side of the preserver.

ma2v1copie.jpgma2v1mk3ccopie.jpg

(Left photo) 10-1955: Gordon 'Gordo' Gray using the new designed integrated torso harness. (Right photo) 1957: VX-3 Bod Dose test pilot wears the first design of the MK-3C preserver over his harness (MK-3C harness has a riggers made strap on the chest).

ltgordonlgordogray1955.jpgvx3bobdose1957.jpg

1961: Guantamo Bay. A seat strapped VMF-235 pilot.

vmf235gitmo1961.jpg

2) End of the 50's/beginning of the 60's second version. The integrated lap belt is for holding the MK-3C preserver which does no more need the external harness.

ma2v2copie.jpg

Hooks were added helping the Conmar zipper to close.

ma2027.jpg

3) 1963 dated harness. Rocket Jet releases have replaced the first design of attaches (only on the shoulders).

Like the one above, the harness has been riggers modified by adding a pouch on the left size for some personal item like a survival kit.

ma2v3copie.jpg

4) MA-2 (cutaway). At the second part of the 60's, Koch fitting system replaced RJ releases. Moreover, non structural nylon cloth could be cutted off by riggers to improve comfort for users.

ma2v3riggercopie.jpg

5) Some labels.

ma2etiquettescopie.jpg

patchtrader864

Hi Great display . I have a 1956 Mark 2 Vest it has the light , shark chaser, dye markers, oral inflation connector loop,two co2 holder's on the back has Buaer USN. can you tell me what this is worth ? Paul

Hi Great display . I have a 1956 Mark 2 Vest it has the light , shark chaser, dye markers, oral inflation connector loop,two co2 holder's on the back has Buaer USN. can you tell me what this is worth ? Paul

Paul,

About 80/100 USD, I guess. If the vest has his two smoke/flares, the valor is higher.

Franck

Skip,

Thank you for showing your H-3. Painted H-3/H-4 are not so common. Lightning bolts are typical schemes from this era but sorry, I cannot tell you what's unit. Mpreover, helmet paint schemes are often personal schemes and did not reflect a particular squadron. Metallic color on the micro plate and straps is not very conmmon.

I'am sorru to cannot tell you more about your helmet. Do you collect aviation stuffs?

Franck

Thanks, Glad you enjoyed it.

No, this is one of the few items that I have aquired. I basically salvaged it with hopes that it would be of some interest to someone. Thoughts on the value? I have watched prices over the past few months and they seem to be all over the board.

Skip,

We can see all prices for the H-3 helmet model. Naturally, a complete with radio, mask, and shell would be higher valued than an alone shell. But a painted or personalized shell could be valued depending upon the unit or the owner, as all helmets. A good version of flying googles (the spécific designed for H-3 model, with a snap on each side of the band) could also increase the value. So, to give a precise price is always very difficult. For example I have sold some weeks ago a tiger painted H-3 shell as your (from VF-32 I presume) for 50 euros (about usd 65/70). But a complete set as I described above could reach about usd 300, I guess. Please be aware that I am not the Expert who makes prices for all the market! :rolleyes: The prices I tell you are coming from my looking on the transactions. I note regulary that some H-3 (and other helmets) are not sold while their asked price is too high.

Franck

Wow Franck what a great source of information! Soo what next is need to complete the survival stuff for late-early 60st pilot?

Regards,

Jerry

Wow Franck what a great source of information! Soo what next is need to complete the survival stuff for late-early 60st pilot?

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry,

The harness was used both as parachute harness and seat restraint. Over the harness the pilot wore a dedicated survival vest containing survival impedimentas (SL-1 leggings, SV-1 and SV-2 versions). I will post some photos of SL-1 and SV-1. I do not have the SV-2 model which came in service about 1967/1968. I have not my docs here with me, so I cannot precisely tell you the exact year. Sorry.

Franck

It looks like the post war pilots are more complicated than WW2 :)

Cant wait to see the more survival items !

Thanks for great information,

Jerry

• 1 month later...

Not news jackets but I can display them both while preparing a public display for an aerial show in South France.

Franck

bustes.jpg