WW1 Navy Corpsman to Rear Admiral Group

Belleauwood

The whites just need to have the campaign ribbons flipped to denote blue, white and red to be 100% accurate. Great grouping!

Do you honestly think that the Veterans gave two @%*ts about which way the ribbons actually faced?

It is truely AWESOME!

Oh and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!

Fantastic job of researching and putting this group back together. Most of my best groups had to be pieced back together as well. It would have been too easy to just go to an auction site and hit a button to buy a group like this. Anyone with money can do that, and money doesn't make a person an advanced collector. To acquire a group the way you had to do it, and research it, is more fun and takes skill, knowledge, and fortitude.

AWESOME JOB!!

Kurt

Kurt Barickman

Dennis,

Great grouping; love the medical connection. Also nice that the family is now interested and have binder where they can refer to their ancestor's military accomplishments; for the most part how would most vet's families display uniforms?

Merry Christmas Dennis,

Kurt Barickman

Thanks guys for all the great comments - It's be fun -

Hoping from my family to your's a very happy and Merry Christmas.

From the Jacksons

• 5 months later...

Dennis,

Amazing group, research, perseverance on your part to bring it all together, and finally display.

How does the Marine officer uniform fit in? I saw that he was enlisted in the Marines, then discharged to the USN. Also, what did he do in WW2? I see from his ID tags that he was an LCDR in the USN in 1942, but do you have any more details?

Thanks so much for showing this - even though I'm late to the party!

Steve

Brian Dentino

Talk about late to the party! :pinch: Dennis, first let me commend you on all of your work that you did on this grouping for the family. It was a very noble and generous thing that you did, and am so pleased in reading through this thread that they appreciated it so much. Super cool.

Then let me just say.....WOW :w00t: . This has to be one of the nicest groupings that I have been privaledged to lay my eyes on in some time......again, can't believe that I am just now seeing this amazing grouping.

Belleauwood
Dennis,

Amazing group, research, perseverance on your part to bring it all together, and finally display.

How does the Marine officer uniform fit in? I saw that he was enlisted in the Marines, then discharged to the USN. Also, what did he do in WW2? I see from his ID tags that he was an LCDR in the USN in 1942, but do you have any more details?

Thanks so much for showing this - even though I'm late to the party!

Steve

Steve,

Lufkin was a physician when we entered the Second World War. He was serving in the Navy and was detached to the Marines, just as he was in WW1 as a Corpsman. He was setting up the forward Naval/Marine hospitals in the Pacific during the heavy fighting in the islands. One has to admire the work and dedication Nat possessed not only in dedication to the Armed Services, but to go from Hospital Apprentice 3rd Class to M.D./Rear Admiral is an incredible story in and of itself.

glad you approve.

DJ

• 1 month later...
Croix de Guerre
Steve,

Lufkin was a physician when we entered the Second World War. He was serving in the Navy and was detached to the Marines, just as he was in WW1 as a Corpsman. He was setting up the forward Naval/Marine hospitals in the Pacific during the heavy fighting in the islands. One has to admire the work and dedication Nat possessed not only in dedication to the Armed Services, but to go from Hospital Apprentice 3rd Class to M.D./Rear Admiral is an incredible story in and of itself.

glad you approve.

DJ

:thumbsup:

It's been a while since I visited this post and have several items to add if time permits. One of the really cool items that I added to the display was a poster that I got of E-bay as the only bidder and not for much money. Upon examining the image, I discovered Nat Lufkin in the photo. I have no doubt after going back to the photos in this post, that it is him. From his small stature, to his distinctive hairline, 100% Nat.

Fun stuff and lots of luck!

DJ

post-3422-1313505938.jpg

Dennis,

I believe you are absolutely correct; I noticed him, Lufkin, as soon as I looked at the picture. All that you have posted about him makes me feel like I knew him personally. As always thank you for sharing.

Regards,

John

• 9 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

Today being the 94th anniversary of the start of the Belleau Wood campaign, a most appropriate time to revive this old thread for newer member to see... the price paid by so many Marines...

History Man

Very nice grouping, also an experience watching you acquire more. Were you ever able to acquire the medals? Also I may be mistaken but it almost looks like the ribbons on the alphas are under the shoulder loop?

Philip

Today being the 94th anniversary of the start of the Belleau Wood campaign, a most appropriate time to revive this old thread for newer member to see... the price paid by so many Marines...

Thank for reviving this thread. I was awestruck at the first moment I saw this a few years ago...now, I have repeated that same feeling. Clearly, this thread isn't solely about the militaria but the passion taken to gather it all, assemble and display it combined with the compiling of the research to share with the veteran's family is something I can only hope to strive for.

This is the goal that I have with my own collection.

I am not seeking to fill rooms with cool artifacts, but to recreate what has been lost...stuffed onto garbage bags in the years gone by. I know that hell is going to melt a planet's-worth of snowballs before I can successfully locate a single piece of my family's lost treasures. So, I am doing what I can to reassemble and recreate representations to display, photograph and document for each veteran - ultimately to publish in a book that will be left behind for subsequent generations of my family. I don't want to see the stories fall by the wayside.

For me, Dennis' efforts are a prime example of what I'd like to achieve, but from a recreation perspective.

Thanks again for sharing your work and passion, Dennis!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

It's been forever since I have looked at the Forum and I sure have missed being here!.... As you folks know, I love my Marines and Flyers of WW1. As of yesterday, the archive of Nate Lufkin is complete!! I was contacted by the grandson and the caretaker of Nate's medals, and was told he was sending them on to me. When his family visited my museum to see their grandfather's (great grandfather's) display, they had brought the medals to show me. They told me that they weren't quite ready to let them go, but if they did, they would let me know. It has been a journey of many years and a ton of work, but Nate's history is in one place and totally complete.

They arrived with the family display case broken and the glass shattered, but they got here! We as collectors can complain that the broaches were removed, pins cut, etc., but this was done as a loving tribute to a true man of valor. Please excuse the poor images, I'm a little psyched. Hope you find this interesting.

It's been a ride!!!

post-3422-0-69308200-1511102945.jpg