Model 1937 Collar Pieces

Brig

finally, the last piece I have for now, a pair of dress collar Model 1937 EGAs by Gemsco. Once again, photos from USMC-QM. More EGAs to appear as I find them!

M1937_Dress_Collar_Gemsco.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Bob,

This is an officers service collar emblem from mid-WWII. Notice the applied continents. That's a dead giveaway of an officer quality emblem. I believe H&H came out with this pattern in the late 1942 - early 1943 time period. This is a fairly common officer emblem to find, but has always been one of my favorites, because of the sterling mark with its direct link to strategic materials bans of WWII. Every officer's collar emblem I can recall has always had the anchor ring cut out, maybe because officers had to buy their own emblems, thus superior quality emblems and enlisted men had theirs issued. Enlisted collar emblem anchor rings were cut out from the introduction of EM collar emblems in 1920 until the massive build up of the Corps during 1942, when this part of the stamping process was eliminated on bronze EM emblems. That rule doesn't apply on mid to late WWII EM plastic (bakelite) or EconoLead emblems. Those, for the most part, had cut out rings.

Here is the entire set of H&H officer's emblems like your new "bird" from mid WWII. Nice find in that condition!

Gary

post-84-1181346062.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

...and the sterling composition also provided for extremely high relief in the detail of the eagle and wings