Need Veteran Research Help!!!

2ndiddogface

Didn't know where else to put this...

Hello, I am a 10th grade history teacher out in Ca. and a WWII historian and enthusiast. One of my students brought in an art project she is working on. I noticed that it had a purple heart painted on it and a screaming eagle. I asked her about it and she said it was a tribute to her great great grandfather who was in the 101st during WWII and dropped on D-day. I was ecstatic! I started telling her about what they went through and that my wife's grandmother was from Bastogne (14 during the Bulge) and she was really getting into it. I told her that I would try to get some solid military info about her great-grandfather.

What I know to be fact: Name: Loral Francis Gillham Born in '21, Died 7/20/99. He's from Allen County Kansas where he is buried. His induction date was 9/1/1942. His serial number was 37221214. I know by this he was drafted and from region 7, Kansas.

Other than this I was told he received 2 purple hearts, a silver star and possibly 2 bronze stars.

What I want to know is; what PIR he served with. That way I can learn more about possibly what he went through.

Thank you, in advance, for any help!

Joe

Didn't know where else to put this...

Hello, I am a 10th grade history teacher out in Ca. and a WWII historian and enthusiast. One of my students brought in an art project she is working on. I noticed that it had a purple heart painted on it and a screaming eagle. I asked her about it and she said it was a tribute to her great great grandfather who was in the 101st during WWII and dropped on D-day. I was ecstatic! I started telling her about what they went through and that my wife's grandmother was from Bastogne (14 during the Bulge) and she was really getting into it. I told her that I would try to get some solid military info about her great-grandfather.

What I know to be fact: Name: Loral Francis Gillham Born in '21, Died 7/20/99. He's from Allen County Kansas where he is buried. His induction date was 9/1/1942. His serial number was 37221214. I know by this he was drafted and from region 7, Kansas.

Other than this I was told he received 2 purple hearts, a silver star and possibly 2 bronze stars.

What I want to know is; what PIR he served with. That way I can learn more about possibly what he went through.

Thank you, in advance, for any help!

Joe

I have checked Home of the Heroes WWII Silver Star List http://www.homeofheroes.com/members/04_SS/...rmy/Army-G.html for WWII Army Silver Star Recipients and as well as Army Silver Star Awards for WWII Part's I, II and III by Planchet Press but could not locate a Gillham, Loral Francis Listed. I checked the Army Korean War Roles of both references and found not matching name.

I also checked my 6 Volume set of Screaming Eagles of WW2 by P.M. Pulles of the Screaming Eagles of WWII Foundation bu could not locate his name either.

Can you check the name again?

Regards

John

John,

Saw your post about researching the 101st vet. If you have

the opportunity could you see if you can turn anything up on a

Robert Sugg Quinn. He was in E company of the 501st PIR.

His service number was 34816810.

He was one of the replacements after D-Day. He jumped in

Market Garden, fought at the Bulge, and jumped again in Forager

He earned two Purple Hearts.

I've posted this on Trigger Time and didn't get very far. I'd

be grateful for any help, advice, or suggestions you could offer.

Regards,

Owen Miller

Joe,

I tried the name in Google and he indeed popped up in the WW.2 Kansas Veterans Index.

http://www.kshs.org/genealogists/military/...82&branch=A

Proves that he was buried at Fairview Cemetry, Allen County, Kansas.

http://skyways.lib.ks.us/towns/Moran/FairviewCem.html

So far no lead to his unit or the medals.

http://oralhistory.rutgers.edu/Interviews/...rple_heart.html

I wonder if his relatives could come up with a picture of him in uniform wearing the mentioned medals.

André