USMC Corporal Insignia

Alec

Has anyone seen this style of USMC Corporal insignia in wear before? Found in museum on Special Full Dress Unifrom worn by Marine who was a memeber of the Peking Legation Guard Band. J. Earl Snively was his name. I guess I answered my own question, but I have not seen this style/variation before-- has anyone else?

post-7194-1260396143.jpg

I've got a post card sent by John Earl Snively dated I think 1913 that he sent from the Legation in which he notes he is a member of the Detachment's band....interesting they are still wearing the special dress uniform that late.

That Corporal's chevrons is a new one on me too. Never seen one like it and never would have associated it with the Marines. Since his guy was in the band over there, maybe these were special for the band. Who knows? I hope someone on this fourm can come up with some concrete identification on it. :unsure:

Tonight was doing a quick review of the muster rolls and couldn't find him as a corporal while in Peking, just a Pvt with special duty in the band (maybe I missed it?) .....he came as part of the post Winter 1912 riot draft and left in early 1915 for Stateside.

• 5 years later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

I know this is very late, but for anyone who stumbles upon this thread that blue chevron is 100% NOT USMC. Possibly foreign military or law enforcement perhaps that someone attached to an authentic Marine uniform.