Kevlar helmets

1936farmall

Are the Kevlar helmets collectable and worth anything? A guy in town has some he is selling. He wants 50 or 60 bucks a piece for them. I may buy one if they are and the price isnt bad.

Michael

Manchu Warrior

To give you an idea I have sold them on ebay and within weeks of each other they have sold for $44.00 and $87.00 and they were both very clean large helmets with cover, chin strap and sweat band. So, if you buy them stick to large size ones.

If you find one you like for your collection, then maybe $60, but there are plent helmets out there for the $20 to $30 range. A little cleaning and a new cover or helmet band and you have a nice helmet for way less, depends on how much work you wanted to put into it.

I agree with HD.Lots of lower priced helmets around.The Kevlars have come down...alot.I bought one last summer with a Marine camo cover for $25 at a flea market.

However if it had been worn early in OIF/OEF and had the unit patches on the cover I would have no problem paying more.

RON

I just missed out on an ebay item which was a helmet cover from the 101st which sold for 70 dollars alone. Now we have to remember the 101st has an amazing reputation, but it would have been a really great addition and I would have loved to pick it up. So as other members have said, think long term. If used in OIF/OEF and has a cover with a unit patch, its definitely worth it.

I've got in my collection a 3rd ID Desert Camo with Captains rank and name that I bought for $65 and an un-named Chaplains PASGT with woodland camo that I picked up for $50, both in excellent condition. I've picked up PASGT's in less than perfect condition for under $20 so, I wouldn't be quick to spend more than about $50 for a collection grade PASGT in very good to excellent condition. Of course this is a bargain compared to the $350 each that the military originally paid for them. I would also agree that you'd want to get one in the large size.

Thanks for the info. He gets these from Ft Chambell so some might have 101st patch on them if they still have their covers. I'll go look. Like to know where he gets them since he probably doesnt pay but 20 or 30 for them. I may try some surplus stores around the base next time I have a chance also. I would like to have one for my collection since I was in the end of Desert Storm. I didnt wear one for I was Navy but be neet having a 101st helmet.

My friend called and said the guy who has these got a WW2 M1 with a General star on it. He wants me to look at it to see if its fake. I may take my camera and post pictures here. I only seen a Generals M1 in the Patton Museum. If I find a Kevlar I like and buy it I'll post pictures of it too. I'll go for large. Thanks again!!

I had purchased most of my M1's over 20 years ago. Yould could pretty much buy almost any for $5.00 to $10.00. Hang onto the complete Kevlars and you will experience the same thing. The more interesting ones especially. They will go up again as styles change. Bill

I think everyone has given you some really great advice about Kevlar helmets and their approximate value. I will tell you that patched covers (101st ABN, 3rd ID, 4th ID,etc), combat used helmets, and camouflaged MICH/ACH's will be very expensive some day. Not saying they aren't now, but I expect these items to be worth signifigantly more some day in the future.

A

I think everyone has given you some really great advice about Kevlar helmets and their approximate value. I will tell you that patched covers (101st ABN, 3rd ID, 4th ID,etc), combat used helmets, and camouflaged MICH/ACH's will be very expensive some day. Not saying they aren't now, but I expect these items to be worth signifigantly more some day in the future.

A

I agree also and dont forget about the USMC covers as well!!!.....mike

I agree also and dont forget about the USMC covers as well!!!.....mike

But of course! :thumbsup: Whenever I hit surplus shops, I will always look for Kevlar helmet covers that have 1.) glint tape 2.) patches sewn on them 3.) rank insignia of officers 4.) combat used covers. Right now, a lot of nice helmet covers can be had for $2 or less.

A

Of course!!... :lol: .....oh yeah don't forget the graffittied ones too!!.....mike

Graffitied helmet covers from OIF/OEF are few and far between in my experience. I have a nice 3rd ID helmet cover that a soldier has drawn a tribal type design and a little saying. One of the few I've found for my collection.

I went to look at Kevlar helmets. He had one left. Said I could have it for 40 bucks. It looked to be medium. Was kinda salty. Nothing on its cover. Also had a late M1 for the same price. I decided to pass for I found a WW2 M4 bayonet and bought that. I may go back after the helmet next week just so I have one. He has 3 but sold all of them except one. Looked at his WW2 one star general helmet. Was rough but original. At one time it was a fixed bail but sadly its bails were broken. I didnt ask for a price since he probably wanted more than its worth..lol