USMC Sergeant stripes question

CW4AFB

Gents---while combing the local junk stores, I was attracted as usual to the box of patches---normally I don't chase rank patches but this caught my eye so I had to grab it---has anybody else seen something like this before?

It's certainly something I've never noticed before---on the back side of the stripes is this nicely (and neatly) stamped: USMC 412 in red ink. As you can see, the patch had to have been on a uniform because its well worn and the threads are still on it.

Big thick stripes also---I would have expected a pair of crossed rifles below the stripes but no sign that they were ever there.

Your thoughts?

post-2235-1260378244.jpg

That style without the crossed rifles was used from 1954 to 1958 when the crossed rifles were added along with the pay grades of E-8 & E-9. The stamp on the back is a either a contrct or inventory control number.

• 4 years later...

Found these service stripes today with the same "USMC 412" stamp then found this discussion while researching them. Any additional info about this stamp and if it helps date them?

post-9295-0-31585300-1400352102.jpg

Many of my pre-1959 chevrons and service stripes have the same USMC 412 stamp...... but a few of the early 1960s items also have the stamp....

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Tom, do you still own these 412 service stripes?

SgtMadduxUSMC, Yes I do. Sorry about the slow reply; I just noticed your post.

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to re-open this topic but I have to...while cleaning up some random patches in my collection I noticed the back side of the PO 1st Class chevrons(I think that's the rate---navy ratings escape me) and here very clearly was sewn "1943"----anybody else seen this? I have got to stop looking on the reverse sides of patches---drive myself crazy..

Al

post-2235-0-14264700-1488326205.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Dates on the back side of Navy rating badges indicate the year of the contract to have them made. This is VERY common on WWII era rating badges and is covered in depth elsewhere on this forum.

Dates on the back side of Navy rating badges indicate the year of the contract to have them made. This is VERY common on WWII era rating badges and is covered in depth elsewhere on this forum.

Lee---thanks, certainly news to me---is it on all navy rating badges of the period? or just the end one in a batch? or just a random occurrence?....

AL

Lee---thanks, certainly news to me---is it on all navy rating badges of the period? or just the end one in a batch? or just a random occurrence?....

AL

I really don't know the system for marking them. I really doubt it was at random tho, there had to be some sort of reasoning behind doing that.

• 2 months later...

Here are at least three different versions of Vietnam era Chevrons marked with USMC and a number

post-5056-0-85239200-1496946842.jpg