Nice Jugs!!!

Cobrahistorian

Here is a pretty neat photo of brand new 47s at Republic Airport on Long Island, NY. The back of the photo says "Burma Road-Republic Airport, NY"

post-3970-1279399594.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian

Well guys, it looks like I'm in the writing business again. I'm starting my next book for Osprey Publishing, "P-47 Thunderbolt Units of the 12th Air Force". If anyone's willing to share or sell photos of MTO Jugs, please PM me!

Thanks guys!

Jon

• 1 month later...
Cobrahistorian

Ok guys, I just got these four shots and I'm a bit stumped. There are a couple different flight jacket patches in the four different shots, so I'm trying to figure out which units they are. The second one down could be the 404th FS, but I'm not sure.

This first patch looks like Wile E. Coyote holding a bomb under his left arm and a .50 cal on his right shoulder. They're wearing it in both white over black and black over white.

unknown001.jpg

unknown001a.jpg

unknown003.jpg

unknown003a.jpg

unknown002.jpg

unknown004.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian
Ok guys, I just got these four shots and I'm a bit stumped. There are a couple different flight jacket patches in the four different shots, so I'm trying to figure out which units they are. The second one down could be the 404th FS, but I'm not sure.

This first patch looks like Wile E. Coyote holding a bomb under his left arm and a .50 cal on his right shoulder. They're wearing it in both white over black and black over white.

unknown001.jpg

unknown001a.jpg

unknown003.jpg

unknown003a.jpg

unknown002.jpg

unknown004.jpg

Well, the upper photos could be the Headquarters Squadron of the 371st FG. In Robert Watkins' "Battle Colors, Vol 3" there's a drawing of an unofficial patch worn by the HQ Squadron of the 371st that looks very similar to what I'm seeing here. Any thoughts guys?

Jon

General Apathy

post-344-1285574639.jpg

Hi Jon, not an image of a P-47 that you will be particularly happy to see, this was one was ground recovered mid September 2010 a few miles from Carentan, Normandy, two weeks previously the digging group recovered a Focke-Wulf 190 a few miles away.

Apologies for the quality of the image, it's a scanned image from a newspaper that a friend emailed to me.

lewis

Cobrahistorian
post-344-1285574639.jpg

Hi Jon, not an image of a P-47 that you will be particularly happy to see, this was one was ground recovered mid September 2010 a few miles from Carentan, Normandy, two weeks previously the digging group recovered a Focke-Wulf 190 a few miles away.

Apologies for the quality of the image, it's a scanned image from a newspaper that a friend emailed to me.

lewis

Pretty cool to see though! Do they know which aircraft it is and the fate of the pilot?

General Apathy
Pretty cool to see though! Do they know which aircraft it is and the fate of the pilot?

Hi Jon, can't really tell you anymore than what it states in the short paper report, don't know who the people are that dug the aircraft up, in the background are farm buildinga and whether it was an accidental find by the farmer or through research I can't says

If I hear more I will let you know. :thumbsup:

lewis

Jon,

The name on the nose of this Jug, "Toots Sweet" might be a play on words from the French "tout de suite" which means "immediately", "right away" or "at once" and is pronounced "toots sweet". Just a thought. Jon.

post-7885-1285623632.jpg

Cobrahistorian
Jon,

The name on the nose of this Jug, "Toots Sweet" might be a play on words from the French "tout de suite" which means "immediately", "right away" or "at once" and is pronounced "toots sweet". Just a thought. Jon.

Mais oui! Je parle le Francais un petit peu. I assumed from the name that this photo was taken in France or Belgium. From the style of markings, it could be one of several different 9th Air Force Groups.

Jon

General Apathy

post-344-1285796459.jpg

Those are some awesome photos, Jon. Those old "runways" were pretty neat.

Hi Jon & Dan, I was in a brocante store today ( cheap end antiques ) when I spotted this unusual pattern of Marsden matting. It is not the regular style with multi punched holes, this one has depressed cups with three small drainage holes. I can't recall seeing this pattern before here in Normandy where there is still tons of the regular pattern all over the place.

Might be good to try and spot this design in period photo's. :think:

lewis

Cobrahistorian

Lewis,

Very cool! I've never seen that before either! I'll keep an eye out for it in any photos I come across.

I did come across this photo today, which I thought was incredibly cool. This is the 365th Fighter Group's Passover Seder in April 1945 in Germany.

GreatestSederEver.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Ok guys, I need a hand with this one. Looking at the cowling and the tail, my suspicion is that "Butch" belonged to the 36th or 50th Fighter Group, but there's no tail number, can't see the squadron code and the official caption is no help.

ButchP-4712thAFUSAAFphotoa.jpg

She's a P-47D-27-RE or later. Looks like the individual letter code is D. No invasion stripes under the aft fuselage. Even the Jugs in the background are no help... Anyone recognize this one?

Jon

You probably already saw it but there is a horizontal stripe on the rudder, don't know if that will help in ID , just wanted to let you know in case you missed it.

Johnny

General Apathy

post-344-1285877032.jpg

Lewis,

Very cool! I've never seen that before either! I'll keep an eye out for it in any photos I come across.

Hi Jon. found this very interesting U.S. historical report on the history of Marsden matting, it also states they tested wooden matting and bitumen rolls. I found the following piece of text that relates that original matting was too heavy and then they punched the holes, so the piece I found in the antiques brocante could well be an experimental piece ??

Take a look at the attached link for the matting, in one of the photo's of a GMC the rear wheels have been replaced with fighter wheels to lower the rear bed.

" The initial steel plank design underwent many modifications.

Testing revealed that the original mats weighed too much.

Consequently, machines pressed holes into the steel mat sections

to reduce weight, improve aircraft traction, and facilitate drainage.

Flanging the holes kept the mat durable ............................."

http://140.194.76.129/publications/eng-pam...-1-42/c-3-4.pdf

lewis

You probably already saw it but there is a horizontal stripe on the rudder, don't know if that will help in ID , just wanted to let you know in case you missed it.

Johnny

The horzontal stripe on the vertical satbilizer and rudder was a theater marking applied to all P-47's (along with like stirpes on the horizontal stab & elevators), to help avoid confusion at a distance with the German FW-190. Same thing was used on the P-51 in Europe to help ID them as NOT being Bf-109's.

Cobrahistorian

There are some phenomenal photos of the 1st Brazlian Fighter Squadron in the USAF photo collection. A number of them are in color too!

reminds me of a funny story. President Bush was getting his morning briefing and was informed that eight Brazilian soldiers were killed in Iraq. His eyes welled up with tears and he put his head down on his desk. A few moments later he lifted his head and asked, " how many is a brazilian again?"

No disrespect intended to a great president, just a funny story.

• 6 months later...
Nice! But not just the 9th Jon, the P-47's of the 12th AF did their fair share of innovating as well...

:lol:

• 2 years later...

I found these P-47 images while searching another subject on "Fold3".

Captions indicate that these aircraft were being ferried from Oahu to Saipan onboard the USS Manilla Bay. Caption has the date 23 June 1944.

post-8013-0-80851500-1369343475.jpg