Nice Jugs!!!

Cobrahistorian

I have the vhs how to fly the p-47 wartime aircorps film. Kinda hokey, but close up and personal.

I found it online in a downloadable format. go to this link and you too can fly the p-47 ( if you have an inexaustable supply of time and money, like Tom Crase... I mean Cruise) http://www.archive.org/details/HowtoflytheP-47

Cobrahistorian

I was in Bastogne, Belgium this morning and was surprised to see this plaque on the side of the pedestal that the 11th Armored Division Sherman is sitting on. Pretty cool!

Picture082.jpg

Picture083.jpg

I was in Bastogne, Belgium this morning and was surprised to see this plaque on the side of the pedestal that the 11th Armored Division Sherman is sitting on. Pretty cool!

Picture082.jpg

Picture083.jpg

The group was awarded the french croix du guerre and my dad had lost his. He contacted the air attache at the embassy in

DC and they sent him a wonderful framed medal and proclaimation. They still care, I guess depending on which ones you ask.

Cobrahistorian

After spending a week in Luxembourg, Belgium and France, I'd say that 99% of the people we met over there still care and are still appreciative. I was in my blues on the 16th for the official commemorations and I couldn't buy a drink that day.

I was a little frustrated in the fact that the only P-47-related piece (aside from those plaques) was this cowling panel at the Diekirch museum.

IMG_0073-2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I'm all about the Jugs! Saw a great documentary a year or two ago on one of the 9th AF Jug units. All color, including the best gun camera footage I've ever seen especially strafing German airfields and trains.

Here is a shot of an re-30 model that my dad was flying through a railroad marshalling yard. He clipped a pole and lost 4 feet of wing tip. He recounts that he had to adjust trim a bit and had ammo belts flapping in the wind, but he got home accross the channel okay. Must have had an angel on his shoulder that day. He switched rides and flew another mission before it got dark.

post-8785-1263699127.png

Here is a collage I have over my desk at work. the data plate is a p-47 he crashed in Florida during training. He got the gallet chronograph in Paris.

post-8785-1264210821.jpg

Nice Juggs guys! I really love the color shots.

I have posted thses two in the past but they are appropriate for this fine thread.

Mike

post-1387-1264741094.jpg

post-1387-1264741119.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian

My main interest lately has been the 36th Fighter Group in the ETO. I just acquired a photo grouping of about 25 shots of 23rd Fighter Squadron P-47s, most likely at Le Culot airfield in Belgium in the winter of 1944-45. Here are a couple of the nice ones!

23rdfightersquadrongrouping11.jpg

23rdfightersquadrongrouping15.jpg

23rdfightersquadrongrouping12.jpg

Cobrahistorian
Those are some awesome photos, Jon. Those old "runways" were pretty neat.

Gotta love the old "Marsden Matting". Can you imagine landing on that in icy condtions during the Battle of the Bulge?! Easy on the brakes!

I'd hoped to get to Le Culot while I was in Belgium, but it is still an active military airfield, so we weren't able to get there and look around...

Cobrahistorian

Some great footage there of several units. The title says 362nd FG, but there are a lot of different groups in there. I know I saw at least one 57th FG Jug!

Jon

Gotta love the old "Marsden Matting". Can you imagine landing on that in icy condtions during the Battle of the Bulge?! Easy on the brakes!

I'd hoped to get to Le Culot while I was in Belgium, but it is still an active military airfield, so we weren't able to get there and look around...

there is an old surplus store in downtown Tampa that has a whole yard of marsden if you like wanted to make a deck or something to spruce up your back yard. :think:

• 2 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian

Night Intruder Stuka! Nice one!

FYI, if anyone wants to see a really nice Jug, USMCRECON's 48th scale P-47N up in the modeling sub-forum is absolutely beautiful!

Jon

• 4 months later...

Here's another Jug. The photo is a small 2" x 2 3/4" print with no markings of any kind.

post-8013-1279161583.jpg

The guys are holding mess gear. Markings on the cowl band on or near the cowl flaps may be a way to identify the group or squadron.

Aircraft "R" looks to have invasion stripes under the national insignia. I scanned the photo at a higher resolution trying to make out the tail number but couldn't do it.

Larry

Hey Jon aren't pics 3&4 post war shots??I think those painted bands behind the cockpit have some post war meaning.Clark.

Cobrahistorian
Hey Jon aren't pics 3&4 post war shots??I think those painted bands behind the cockpit have some post war meaning.Clark.

Good eye there! Yes, they are occupation markings.