Nice Jugs!!!

Cobrahistorian

Well, the upper photos could be the Headquarters Squadron of the 371st FG. In Robert Watkins' "Battle Colors, Vol 3" there's a drawing of an unofficial patch worn by the HQ Squadron of the 371st that looks very similar to what I'm seeing here. Any thoughts guys?

Jon

I do not believe that this is the patch of the 371st FG....the 371st FG patch was of a fox wearing a top hat, bomb tucked under left arm and leaning on a broom with his right hand, right leg bent and crossed over left leg, large fluffy tail crossing in front of both legs from left to right.

The 404th FS was of a bulldog in a black and red striped shirt, flying a white jug, holding in his left hand a wooden club w/nail in it.

My cousin flew with the 404thFS, one confirmed kill---a Me-262. Many years ago(probably 30 yrs), I can remember him having his FG book, "The Story of the 371st FG the ETO" In it were color renderings of the FG and FS patches. At that time, I purposely traced from the book, the drawings of the 371st FG and 404th and noted their colors on my tracings. For whatever reason, I did not trace the other FS patches(shame on me). I tried to obtain the book from him, but he did not want to give it up. Maybe ten years later, he decided to downsize and move to a smaller home. He had a yard sale and I think the book was sold...not to me though. I was a little miffed that he did not give me the book, knowing that I had expressed interest, or a least let me buy it from him. I see now that that book is pretty rare. Yeah well, it is what it is.

As another side note, in Robt. Watkins book, "Battle Colors, Vol. III", Mr. Watkins shows all of the patches of the 371st FG. In his rendering of the 404th FS patch, the cowling on the jug is more of a round shape and it is black and red in color, on my tracing of same patch, the cowling is more oval shaped (like the real jug) and is solid red in color. There are some other minor detail differences between both renderings that I see.

Johnny Signor

The photo of the group of men wearing a patch with a cartoon wolf with a 50 cal and a bomb I was told is that of the 494th Fighter Squadron of the 48th Fighter Group, I was sent a color photo by a man who's relative was in this sqd and even the same photo posted and he told me this was their "Unofficial" emblem, I lost his contact address due to a PC glitch , but have the two images and it is this design .

The wolf was black/dark brown mostly , a tan or off white face and hair on top of head/ears, he's wearing red hillbilly suspender type coveralls, has white/light gray gloves , the bomb is white and the 50 caliber black, he also has white toenails, and the round background "appears" to have been white/gray but most of the color is wore off .

Johnny

Cobrahistorian

I do not believe that this is the patch of the 371st FG....the 371st FG patch was of a fox wearing a top hat, bomb tucked under left arm and leaning on a broom with his right hand, right leg bent and crossed over left leg, large fluffy tail crossing in front of both legs from left to right.

The 404th FS was of a bulldog in a black and red striped shirt, flying a white jug, holding in his left hand a wooden club w/nail in it.

My cousin flew with the 404thFS, one confirmed kill---a Me-262. Many years ago(probably 30 yrs), I can remember him having his FG book, "The Story of the 371st FG the ETO" In it were color renderings of the FG and FS patches. At that time, I purposely traced from the book, the drawings of the 371st FG and 404th and noted their colors on my tracings. For whatever reason, I did not trace the other FS patches(shame on me). I tried to obtain the book from him, but he did not want to give it up. Maybe ten years later, he decided to downsize and move to a smaller home. He had a yard sale and I think the book was sold...not to me though. I was a little miffed that he did not give me the book, knowing that I had expressed interest, or a least let me buy it from him. I see now that that book is pretty rare. Yeah well, it is what it is.

As another side note, in Robt. Watkins book, "Battle Colors, Vol. III", Mr. Watkins shows all of the patches of the 371st FG. In his rendering of the 404th FS patch, the cowling on the jug is more of a round shape and it is black and red in color, on my tracing of same patch, the cowling is more oval shaped (like the real jug) and is solid red in color. There are some other minor detail differences between both renderings that I see.

Very cool! I've got two groupings to 371st guys and have done quite a bit of research into the Group, and particularly the 406th FS (groupings are from a pilot and crew chief from the 406th).

Johnny and I discounted the 371st HQ patch after some discussion, and it looks like he's cracked this one. 494th FS, 48th FG.

History Man

Great photos posted, I dont think I have ever seen a P47 take off from a carrier before.

Here are some photos I have of 509th FS, 504th F/B G P47s

Philip

post-25965-0-07347100-1369968994.jpg

post-25965-0-67095800-1369969000.jpg

post-25965-0-31641800-1369969010.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Great photos posted, I dont think I have ever seen a P47 take off from a carrier before.

Here are some photos I have of 509th FS, 504th F/B G P47s

Philip

The second and third shots here are of P-47D-26-RA 42-28382 G9*K, a former 61st FS, 56th FG airplane. It was coded HV*S and known as "Ole Cock" before being transferred to the 405th FG. It was renamed "Whoooooooooo" and given the wolf nose art. According to Didier's database, Lt. Wayne Potter crashed it on 14 April 1945.

A 9th AF camouflaged bubbletop is a rarity. VERY cool to see!

I am more of a B-17 guy, but here are some of the P-47 pictures I have picked up along the way. I think they are from the 509thFS 504th. I think this as some of the other planes listed in this thread are also in the group of pictures I got. Any info would be great, I hope these are worth posting. I cant make out the name of the one P-47.

Steve

post-5349-0-97055300-1370554367.jpg

post-5349-0-32766100-1370554392.jpg

I am more of a B-17 guy, but here are some of the P-47 pictures I have picked up along the way. I think they are from the 509thFS 504th. I think this as some of the other planes listed in this thread are also in the group of pictures I got. Any info would be great, I hope these are worth posting. I cant make out the name of the one P-47.

Steve

Bottom Jug is "The Turtle". There was a model kit back In the day of that one. monogram 1/48th scale if memory serves.

Cobrahistorian

Bottom Jug is "The Turtle". There was a model kit back In the day of that one. monogram 1/48th scale if memory serves.

Yep!

Great pics Steve! I'll see what I can find on that unit crest.

Johnny Signor

This looks like a coat of arms of some sort. Can anyone ID it?

Steve

Could it possibly be the 27th FBG emblem with something added above it ?????????????????????

Cobrahistorian

Could it possibly be the 27th FBG emblem with something added above it ?????????????????????

Definitely looks like it could be. AWESOME!

With the unit crest, that's more than likely the Group CO's airplane. The 57th, 79th, 324th and 350th FG's Group CO airplanes all had unit crests on the cowling.

Johnny Signor

Did a leather patch of the 5th RES some time ago , nice shot seeing as it has the droppable lift raft/equipment package under the wing bomb rack !

Johnny

• 2 weeks later...

Has been a while since I have been here and some more very good photo's.

Hope they keep coming.

Need to dig the ones I have out.

• 3 months later...

Georgia ANG F-47N's; nice paint scheme. Note that the picture was rotated to make the airplanes look level. If you make the horizon level, the Jugs are flying nose high so I suspect they were slowed up to formate on a T-6 photo plane. This is a low quality snapshot as the original photo is 11 X 14 so I'll have to scan in sections and merge them.

post-54142-0-80252600-1381971154.jpg