troop carrier Q's

screaming-eagle

screaming-eagle

These were posted on another board, no one was responding to him so i offered to post them here because i am also curious to the answers(mainly 1 and 2)

cheers

david

"Hello,

This is my first time posting so bear with me please. I have a few questions about a uniform that I purchased a few years back. I got (for $30) an IKE jacket that belonged to a sgt. that has never been cleaned-or at least not for the last 40 yrs. I am at work so I will have to post pics later tonight. Here are my questions:

1) Did everybody in the unit get the 'airborne troop carrier' patch or only flight operation personnel?

2) How rare are gold boullion AF/and troop carrier patches and can they be cleaned with the jacket-hand washing of course?

3) Is there any way to try and find this person? All I have is the laundry mark and the patch to go on.

4) For insurance reasons maybe a replacement cost?"

These were posted on another board, no one was responding to him so i offered to post them here because i am also curious to the answers(mainly 1 and 2)

cheers

david

"Hello,

This is my first time posting so bear with me please. I have a few questions about a uniform that I purchased a few years back. I got (for $30) an IKE jacket that belonged to a sgt. that has never been cleaned-or at least not for the last 40 yrs. I am at work so I will have to post pics later tonight. Here are my questions:

1) Did everybody in the unit get the 'airborne troop carrier' patch or only flight operation personnel?

2) How rare are gold boullion AF/and troop carrier patches and can they be cleaned with the jacket-hand washing of course?

3) Is there any way to try and find this person? All I have is the laundry mark and the patch to go on.

4) For insurance reasons maybe a replacement cost?"

It is my understanding from what I've read and seen that the Troop Carrier patches were only issued to flight operation personnel. I would imagine that C-47 crews would all have one and glider pilots would all have one, but flightline maintenance guys, adjutants, clerks, etc would wear the generic AAF HQ patch or the numbered AF patch.

Bullion troop carrier patches are indeed a fairly rare find, as are the theater-made felt patches (but you can find them here and again). I would be very careful in cleaning them, as they are probably very fragile.

With a little research into the laundry tag, patch, any awards etc you might be able to find the Sgt. Good luck!

Hope that helps!