Civilian Conservation Corps Patches Insignia

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

Garth, are there any published guides to Civilian Conservation Corps patches and insignia?

There really isn't a published guide to CCC insignia. One of our members, hardstripe, was working on one but I don't know how far he got.

Garth

lamarhooten

Did these men receive military service time with service in the CCC? How about advanced ranking?

The CCC boys didn't but look up the CMTC. Going on at the same time frame. These guys did get credit and some even got commissions. The CMTC is even less familiar to most collectors than the CCC is. To bad.

MastersMate

A small side track on the CCC, fwiw...

During Prohibition the Coast Guard appointed a goodly number of Temporary Warrant Officers ( Boatswains ) to man up the growing number of patrol boats and shore side support bases for the efforts to slow down the rum runners. After the repeal of prohibition there came the problem of just what to do with all these temporary warrant officers. The depression was in full swing. The answer was to assign them to the Army and use them in the field management of the CCC. The CG Warrant officer association history describes the time as, when the Boatswains were sent into the woods.

firefighter

A small side track on the CCC, fwiw...

During Prohibition the Coast Guard appointed a goodly number of Temporary Warrant Officers ( Boatswains ) to man up the growing number of patrol boats and shore side support bases for the efforts to slow down the rum runners. After the repeal of prohibition there came the problem of just what to do with all these temporary warrant officers. The depression was in full swing. The answer was to assign them to the Army and use them in the field management of the CCC. The CG Warrant officer association history describes the time as, when the Boatswains were sent into the woods.

Cool story, one Ive never heard before.

• 4 years later...

Mr Garth Thompson i finally found someone who has patches like i have . i have an Missouri. A California.  A Utah.  A couple of Arkansas. And a few more i cant think of also have a cigarette punch card 

Could you quote me what amount they are probly worth.  So i can include them in my insurance policy. Thank you 

52 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Mr Garth Thompson i finally found someone who has patches like i have . i have an Missouri. A California.  A Utah.  A couple of Arkansas. And a few more i cant think of also have a cigarette punch card 

Could you quote me what amount they are probly worth.  So h Thoman include them in my insurance policy. Thank you 

Sadly, Garth Thompson has passed away.   Scott

So sorry to hear that. Im new to this forum ad he was the only person i found that had any of the patches that i have. Ive tried to look under many sites that show ccc patches but none like mine. I guess i can contact one or two of the museums that are still open . Thank you for telling me about Garth even though it was sad news he seemed to be a.very nice man .

Here's some of my grandfather's,  he was a WWI Canadian veteran and a master woodworker.  Not sure what he was doing at Fort Dix with the Army, but letter lists him as an engineer.  Unfortunately I had his CCC officers tunic and visor hat with badge and sold it years ago thru Manions. I didn't think much of it, I was more interested in his military uniforms, now I kick myself.  But this is what I have left.

20211216_154925.jpg

20211216_154938.jpg

20211216_101402.jpg

• 1 year later...

After reading this thread, here is my contribution in the form of the Engineer castle with CCC above the turrets.  Does anyone have any information about the insignia?

Larry

CCC Engineer-F.jpg

• 3 months later...

Here is a Company 642 patch. 642 was at Riley Creek, near Fifield, Wisconsin and the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. 

20230525_124316.jpg

20230525_124326.jpg