Civilian Conservation Corps Patches Insignia

Garth Thompson

RustyCanteen

The basic mackinaw type winter jacket used by the CCC. Bob Chatt tells me there is another version made from plaid lumberjack type material.

I believe Ken Lewis pictured one in "Doughboy to GI".

(Very nice collection!!)

firefighter

Garth.Great group of CCC patches.Probably the biggest grouping I've ever seen.There are a lot I've never even seen.

vostoktrading

Here it is. I finally dug it out. I made a mistake, I said Waialua but actually it's Waimea. Now there are two Waimea's in Hawaii, one on the Big Island and one on Kauai. I'm thinking this has to be for Kauai because there's an old CCC camp at Koke'e State Park up Waimea Canyon.

Jon.

post-7885-0-55892300-1374033855.jpg

firefighter

Very nice patch.I didn't know the had CCC Camps in Hawaii either.Do you know if the had them also in Alaska or another U.S. Territories?

Garth Thompson

Very nice patch.I didn't know the had CCC Camps in Hawaii either.Do you know if the had them also in Alaska or another U.S. Territories?

Yes the CCC did. There were camps in Alaska, puerto Rico, Hawaii and the US Virgin Islands

firefighter

Yes the CCC did. There were camps in Alaska, puerto Rico, Hawaii and the US Virgin Islands

Garth.Thank you.I always thought the were just in the U.S. 48.Makes sense that they were anywhere the U.S. was.

Garth Thompson

As scarce as CCC patches are the ones from the territories are exceptional rare.

vostoktrading

Very nice Jon. I've never seen or heard of a CCC patch from Hawaii

Thanks Garth. I picked this one up at a coin show here in Honolulu 15 or 20 years ago. I remember the price was outrageous but I had to get it. It's the only one from Hawaii I've ever seen.

Here's a photo of the CCC camp at Koke'e up above Waimea Canyon. It's been renovated and is used as a research station.

Jon.

post-7885-0-81204300-1374123538.jpg

firefighter

Really don't know a whole heck of a lot about CCC patches.The top row and 2nd roam #1, are the all some type of cook or mess type patches?Nice group BTW.

So generally what are the unit patches worth? I saw one today at a garage sale for $40. Shield shaped with medium blue background, unit number on top, red shooting star with CCC in the trail of the star.

Garth Thompson

So generally what are the unit patches worth? I saw one today at a garage sale for $40. Shield shaped with medium blue background, unit number on top, red shooting star with CCC in the trail of the star.

Generally at auction about $30 - $100 depending on how many bidders and what camp it is. Something like Jon posted would bring a pretty good amount.. At a show they will either be very expensive or dirt cheap depending on whether or not the seller knows what they have. The one you saw is priced fairly but not cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
Garth Thompson

There are a couple of nice pieces in the group but I think it is somewhat overpriced.

Just my humble opinion,

Garth

• 1 month later...
Garth Thompson

Did these men receive military service time with service in the CCC? How about advanced ranking?

Paul,

I've never seen anything that indicates CCC members were given federal service credit or advanced ranking.

Garth

• 1 year later...

Can anyone tell me what the lantern specialty symbol on CCC chevron represents? Is there a site that shows all the CCC rank insignia symbols with IDs? Thanks!

Garth Thompson

Can anyone tell me what the lantern specialty symbol on CCC chevron represents? Is there a site that shows all the CCC rank insignia symbols with IDs? Thanks!

The lantern is for Teacher. Unfortunately there really isn't a site for CCC insignia. You kind of learn as you go like the old school days.

Garth

• 1 month later...

Back side of patches. Love the colored return thread! Greenback, blueback, salmon pinkback, purpleback! Would be worth $$$$$ if it was on a 101st patch!post-3643-0-25920400-1421700373.jpg

Garth Thompson

Tyler Camp 896 was in Texas. 6/18/1933 located near Lampasas on State Park project #2, 5/21/1934 Marathon State Park Project #33 and on 10/11/1934 Lindale on Soil Conservation Project #3.

Arkansas Camp 1752 was located near Ivan on 11/19/1933 working on Private Forest Project #89.

• 1 year later...

Is this patch a CCC patch? That was my first thought when I saw it but now I wonder. The original owner was from Pennsylvania and was wounded at Pearl Harbor while serving in the Army Air Corps.

post-5418-0-66866000-1464565750.jpg

Garth Thompson

Is this patch a CCC patch? That was my first thought when I saw it but now I wonder. The original owner was from Pennsylvania and was wounded at Pearl Harbor while serving in the Army Air Corps.

I had that initial impression when I saw your post in Can U ID section but now I don't think so. CCC camp patches always have a number that indicates the state and what kind of project they were on. I think the one you have is some kind of school club or organization.

Garth