Levelle Pattern Wing or ?

tigerfan

post-2609-1260140856.jpg

post-2609-1260140864.jpg

post-2609-1260140872.jpg

I have seen this unmaker marked pattern of wing frequently attributed to the maker Levelle. Does anyone know for sure that this wing was produced by Levelle? The reason for my asking is over 20 years ago I had a women who worked for the Bastian Bros. Company in Rochester NY bring my a very large box of insignia she had brought home from work during WWII. Almost everything she had was still on Bastian Bros. makers cards with several wrapped in a celophane wrap. There were all types of insignia including wings, di's, pt boat ins., etc. Many things were not maker marked wich included over 50 wings I had. These wings were all the same pattern and is the pattern I have shown here, the one I have seen attributed to Levelle. In the lot there were only three different types of wings, pilot, aircrew and navigator. At that time many collectors were not knowledgeable about makers and makers marks. So I am curious if anyone has further info on this pattern.

Very interesting peice of information which I am sure several folks may want to weigh in on this. As for myself I think the pattern first became known to me by looking at the Fitzsimmons book although I think the only wing marked with the Levelle name would be an aircrew which is a completely different pattern. I mention this just as a matter of fact and not to say this has any impact on what you are suggesting since if BB made the wing for Levelle or it is actually a BB wing I can only assume that it is unmarked per government regs for a contract wing.

I think if someone has more backgroun on the companies that is willing to share it may shed some light on the topic since as you know some known makers were just retailers vs makers.

Thanks for posting this interesting bit of information.

Regards,

John

You don't see these wings marked LeVelle very often, but now and then one will surface. They bear several common characteristics; they are light--only about 14 g; they are the only wings I've found that are less than 3" long; always exhibit superior die work resulting in very detailed, well-defined strikes; and show 4 ticks on one shoulder and 3 on the other.

Here is a marked gunner wing:

post-3515-1260165091.jpg