Pearl Harbor

48MMS

Look at 9-11, this horrible tradegy did unite us as a Nation as well as providing a wake up call for all to heed. I see no difference in Pearl Harbor.

I disagree with the theory that both 12-7 and 9-11 served as the mechanisms to big integration of the American community. Yes, 9-11 has integrated USA and its various communities but it is impossible to tell that 12-7 integrated the Americans in the same manner. The American community of 1940s and American community of 2000s are totally different communities and you cannot compare these two factors. Nobody could be integrated in 1940s when you had racial segregation and Enemy Alien Act. How many times black Americans told during WWII "it is not our war"? After 9-11 nobody told in America "it is not our war" regardless the color of his skin. Do you know what I mean?

Also Enemy Alien Act of WWII era was not a mechanism of big national integration but far from it. There was big number of foreigners living in the USA wanting to help America in war effort but they had to live in the camps under FBI control. One small example which has ever been shocking for me in that time. Such German guy, and spy, as declared fascist Peter Riedel was treated in the USA almost like common German-American national hero in American aviation community. On the other hand such declared anti-fascist as German professor of the MIT Karl O. Lange, the best meteorologist of the world then, who always helped American airmen in interwar period, was held as enemy alien. He could serve the USAAF by his unique knowledge and could help to avoid various mistakes, as Burma expedition for instance, but America needed nothing from loyal citizen Lange.

Best regards

Greg

On this historic "day of days" and speaking of movies, may I mention "Pearl Harbor"? That travesty of a movie has undoubtedly coloured the perception of "how it was" for a whole generation of young Americans...

Sabrejet / Ian

Do you mean to say that all of the young handsome Army pilots were not making love to beautiful women in gently flowing parachute silk?!? Egads!

...but I digress...... :blink:

I've been reading this thread with interest. Apart from being a collector of US WW2 aretefacts, I've also read and continue to read every book I can on the subject of WW2. Being British, my attention was naturally grabbed by the references to the "Battle of Britain". Movies-makers, to some extent, re-write history. Unfortunately, millions of movie-goers wouldn't think to ever read a book on the subject so inevitably they take the content of the movie as gospel truth!

On this historic "day of days" and speaking of movies, may I mention "Pearl Harbor"? That travesty of a movie has undoubtedly coloured the perception of "how it was" for a whole generation of young Americans...and young people further afield too. Consequently, I believe that those of us who've been on this earth a while longer and who know differently have a responsibilty to educate our youngsters accordingly. By profession I'm a teacher. In the UK, the history of WW2 is a part of our National Curriculum. At the beginning of the module, sadly, most kids have no prior knowledge of Churchill, FDR or Hitler and Stalin etc. Suffice it to say that by the time they've passed through my hands, they have!

Sabrejet / Ian

Ian, the entire educational establishment in the U.S. needs to be taken over by Teachers like you. :thumbsup: And too many parents have dropped the ball as well in passing on historical lessons to the next generation- largely because they take their "history" from Hollywood. Surveys have been taken in recent years on the knowledge of high schoolers (and even younger adults) concerning W.W.II, and the results are enough to make one ill.

Consequently, I believe that those of us who've been on this earth a while longer and who know differently have a responsibilty to educate our youngsters accordingly. By profession I'm a teacher. In the UK, the history of WW2 is a part of our National Curriculum. At the beginning of the module, sadly, most kids have no prior knowledge of Churchill, FDR or Hitler and Stalin etc. Suffice it to say that by the time they've passed through my hands, they have!

Sabrejet / Ian

Ian,

Thanks so much for being a great teacher and educating your kids. On another post I mentioned how my Father has talked to me my entire life about my families involvement in the military. I believe all Fathers and Mothers should talk to their kids about their experiences. The truth comes from the soldiers themselves.

Thanks...Kat

Do you mean to say that all of the young handsome Army pilots were not making love to beautiful women in gently flowing parachute silk?!? Egads!

...but I digress...... :blink:

Are you saying that hot-shot American pilots were not actually transferred from the USAAF to the RAF to help us win the Battle of Britain?! Another myth shattered!!

:thumbdown:

PS. The movie's potrayal of that totally ficticious episode was an insult to the memory and sacrifices of the genuine American "Eagle Squadron" volunteers. Heroes to a man!

Ian :thumbsup: